AF speed with OVF significantly slower than EVF? (X-Pro2 fw2.00)

I just noticed this.. And Im pretty sure my X-Pro2 didn't do this before the 2.00 update?

When using the EVF, the AF speed is very snappy and precise, but when switching to OVF, the AF speed drops to about 1/2 the speed.

I've recorded a short clip where you see me switching from EVF to OVF, notice the difference in speed!

Lens used is the 35/2. Can someone confirm this issue please?

Difference in AF speed, EVF vs OVF, Fujifilm X-Pro2

AF is slower when the ERF is active and zoomed in in the OVF, when the ERF is disabled or zoomed out completely AF speed is similar to the speed with the EVF. AFAIK that was already the case before firmware 2.00

Apparently this is a frequently-asked question: http://digital-cameras.support.fujifilm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19546/~/af-speed-of-x-pro2-looks-slower-while-using-electronic-rangefinder-(erf).

Edited by ggsa

AF is slower when the ERF is active and zoomed in in the OVF, when the ERF is disabled or zoomed out completely AF speed is similar to the speed with the EVF. AFAIK that was already the case before firmware 2.00

Apparently this is a frequently-asked question: http://digital-cameras.support.fujifilm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19546/~/af-speed-of-x-pro2-looks-slower-while-using-electronic-rangefinder-(erf).

Thanks! I wasn't aware that was the case, haven't noticed it before. Maybe the AF became so much faster with 2.0 that it made the difference more noticeable.

What is a bit weird (considering the statement 'In case that you use the “ERF” and show an enlarged image in it, a camera automatically stops the live view at a short time period to carry out AE when the shutter button is pressed halfway. The AE covering an entire angle cannot be carried out with the enlarged image which is a portion of the entire angle. The camera does so during the stop behind the scene.' in the FAQ) is that using AE-L does not work around this issue, so apparently the camera still does AE while it's locked.

Also this might be an explanation for the behavior of the histogram: it only represents the ERF-image currently on display.

I hope Fuji will find a way to correct (?, or people actually like this and my 'correction' is unwanted?) this.

Edited by ggsa

What is a bit weird (considering the statement 'In case that you use the “ERF” and show an enlarged image in it, a camera automatically stops the live view at a short time period to carry out AE when the shutter button is pressed halfway. The AE covering an entire angle cannot be carried out with the enlarged image which is a portion of the entire angle. The camera does so during the stop behind the scene.' in the FAQ) is that using AE-L does not work around this issue, so apparently the camera still does AE while it's locked.

Also this might be an explanation for the behavior of the histogram: it only represents the ERF-image currently on display.

I hope Fuji will find a way to correct (?, or people actually like this and my 'correction' is unwanted?) this.

That's a good test case, does ERF AF speed up when AE-L is used?

I would like the ERF magnified view, histogram fixed too... but I'm not holding my breath!

This would mean that Fuji completely re-write their code, as the histogram has always displayed the EVF contents, so it's not a surprise that a portion of the EVF only displays a portion of the histogram.

It's annoying though!

So, the contents of your book vary depending on where you buy them from?

Sure, there are some differences between print and ebooks, and also between different ebook formats. And Amazon always does their own conversion and adds copyright protection. That's why we always recommend to buy the book at the publisher's website where you get all 3 ebook formats DRM free and even have the opportunity to get a print+ebook bundle. In any case, this isn't relevant to the topic at hand.