How about the Nissin i40 with the new X-Pro2 firmware 2.0?

Perhaps this belongs in flash photography?  If so my apologies but it's related to the firmware upgrade.

Has anyone tried TTL and HSS with the Nissin i40 with the new firmware? I love this little thing and don't want to give up the HSS option but considering how it works (or doesn't) with the X-T2 I'm not optimistic.  I'm not going for the firmware upgrade until there's some clarity on all this.

Now, from what I'm reading, with the X-T2 the i40 can be sent back for a firmware upgrade for new compatibility, but HSS remains broken even after the upgrade.

If anyone has an X-Pro2 with the new firmware and an i40 who could test this, it would be much appreciated, thanks.

Guess which mug took delivery of an i40 this morning? <_<

It does not work in TTL or HSS on the Xpro2 and the x-e1!

This from Kenro this morning:

Hi,

If your query is regarding the i40 update for the X-T2 only, please see below.

Nissin have released an update for the XT-2, so we are able to install a firmware update for you.
There is a charge of £20 + VAT inc P&P for this service, unless you have bought your i40 since the beginning of June 2016 and can provide a copy of the proof of purchase, in which case it will be updated under warranty. If you can send it to the address below with a note saying it is for the update or a copy of this email, I will get it sorted for you and be in touch regarding payment.

FAO Steve Trute
Kenro Ltd
Greenbridge Road
Swindon
Wiltshire
SN3 3LH

If your query is regarding the i40 update for the X-Pro2 v2.0 update, please see below

At present I do not have a specific firmware update for the X-Pro2 update that was released 6/10/2016. The update that I have is for the X-T2 that was released about a month ago. This new X-Pro2 update is based on the same software as the X-T2 so the current update for the i40 may still be valid for this.

I have contacted Nissin and to be fair the reply I have received was as expected.

They said that as a 3rd party camera flash manufacturer, unfortunately compatibility is out of their control regarding future new cameras and new firmware updates released by original factory manufacturers like Sony, Fujifilm, Canon, Nikon etc. The best they can do is to get the latest cameras or install the latest updates and test them out as soon as they become available in the open market (the manufacturers do not give 3rd party manufacturers a 'heads up' or advance access to the updates) and then do necessary firmware modification to make their current models work with those new cameras/firmware updates.

I'm going to update someone's i40 who has an X-Pro2, he is then going to go away and fully test it to see if the X-T2 update restores all functions on the X-Pro2 that worked pre-update.

I will be in touch if it works, otherwise it will be a case of waiting for Nissin to resolve the problems with an update of their own.

Best regards,

Steve

-------------------------

I will have to be patient and get used to a manual flash for the time being.

Edited by Haswell

Lots of good information, thank you.  Not all encouraging information, lol -- but at least it's being worked on.

The one I have does work in TTL with my X-Pro2 with the 1.02 firmware.  No clue what's in the flash but I bought it used so it's probably the original stock firmware.

I haven't had it long but I was on the back deck doing head-shot "portraits" of a hand puppet to try out the HSS and it worked very well indeed.  I was able to shoot at 1/2000 at f/2 and 200 ISO to darken the background and use the flash to illuminate the puppet.  Haven't been able to do anything like that except with my X100S in the past so it's nice to have.

Anyway, thanks again.

This from Kenro:

Hi,

We have now had a few people test their X-Pro2’s that have been updated to the v2.00 firmware with an updated i40.

The results are that the i40 works as expected with no problems in TTL, Manual and Slave, but unfortunately the HSS does not work (even with the unofficial cheat activated)

I will inform Nissin of these findings and will try to get back in contact with you regarding any updates they may release to solve this issue.

Best regards,

Steve

Again, thanks.  I'm holding off updating my X-Pro2 until this finalizes.  In the great scheme of things, that HSS is certainly not a go-to thing for me in regular shooting by a long shot -- but I like having that available.

And in the same vein, for what I do I'm absolutely in love with the X-Pro2 with the 1.02 firmware.  I can see that there are nice enhancements with 2.0 I'd like to have, but don't actually need.

Much appreciate the comments and follow ups, folks, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This from Kenro this morning:

Hi Paul,

No further updates from Nissin, but I do believe that Fuji are releasing another update tomorrow (8th Nov) for the X-Pro2 which restores the i40’s functionality, so perhaps this is an update that has already been released by Fuji elsewhere.

I will know more when the update is released tomorrow and I have the chance to check with Nissin.

Best regards,

Steve

Lets hope.....

The firmware update Ver.2.01 from Ver.2.00 incorporates the following issues:

• 1.The phenomenon is fixed that AF function doesn't work well in the tele-photo area with XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR. 
  • 2.The phenomenon is fixed that hung-up could happen when carrying out SELECT FROM NETWORK LIST of MANUAL SETUP in PC AUTO SAVE SETTING.
  • 3.The phenomenon is fixed that Flash i40 made by Nissin for FUJIFILM doesn't fire.

The firmware update Ver.2.00 from Ver.1.02 incorporates the following issues:

Doesn't specify HSS

Edited by Viramati