dial not controlling aperture

Guy Behar

Hi There

Just got my XT2 18-55 kit

i am new to the fuji system so maybe there are a few things i do not understand yet

i am trying to control the aperture from front / rear dial

my iso is set to auto

my S.S. is set to auto

i have the lens on manual aperture mode.

i have configured the dial from system menu but still the dial is not controlling the aperture

any suggestions for what am i doing wrong or how to make it work?

thanks and Shana Tova (happy new year)

Guy

I never put my dynamic range in Auto, but it might very well be that the two functions are mutually exclusive.

Fuji has many such functions which work in this mutually exclusive ways, as many whom have tried the Electronic Shutter have discovered.

As for coming to terms with dynamic Range, try this

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/dynamic-range-explained

Edited by milandro

Hi

Even when i set everything: iso, shutter and lens to Auto mode - it does not work

the dial controls only the shutter speed but not the Aperture.

Hi Guy - I'm sure you've figured it out by now. With the 18-55 you set the switch on the lens body to manual aperture (the lens aperture symbol) then use the inner ring on the lens to adjust aperture. Unlike the prime lenses or constant aperture lenses, it does not have the apertures marked on the lens barrel - this is because the aperture varies with the focal length, so you need to use the screen or viewfinder to see the aperture.

Then if shutter speed is on auto A you get aperture priority semi-auto. Or you can set the shutter speed to get full manual.

You can set iso to auto and limit the max to 3200 or 6400 and DR to auto and forget about them while you get the hang of the main controls.

Edited by frankinfuji