Finally got my X-T2! My only gripe so far is....

Gareth_E

Well, I finally got my hands on an X-T2 after weeks and weeks of back orders at my local camera store. I would have had to wait longer if I wanted the kit with the 18-55, so I opted for just the body, and will just have to use my longer lenses for the time being. 

This camera just feels right. For me, it is the perfect blend of size, function, features and quality. I have almost nothing bad to say about it......almost. So here it is...

The AF-L & AE-L buttons are bad. Tiny, and difficult to press - especially the AE-L which is almost recessed!

The first thing I do with cameras is to set them up for back button focus, which I have just done with the X-T2.  The trouble is, the AF-L button is so small and clicky, it does not make for a pleasant BBF experience. And this isn't even in comparison to a DSLR..it's coming from my X-T10, where although the button was still small, it seemed to protrude out more and was much easier for your finger to locate and press.

A very small gripe on an otherwise flawless camera. It's such a shame the Q button can't be used instead, as on my copy at least, it is a far more 'confident' button to press than the AF-L or AE-L buttons. Ho hum! 

But the EVF.........drool! 

Edited by Gareth_E

These folks: 

http://www.rluther.com/

sell stick-on buttons that work pretty well to make small buttons more prominent. Very pricey for what you get, but nice.

Thanks for the link! Yeah they look good... like you say, pricey for what they are. Might end up giving them a shot, although I'm just experimenting wit using the front function button on the X-T2 to focus, and it works quite well for me, as my finger naturally falls right on it when I grip the camera.

EDIT: I've just placed an order. Not sure how long shipping will take to the UK, but i'll report back when I receive them.

$25 seems like a lot for what is basically a few tiny stick on buttons, however if they greatly improve the BBF experience on the X-T2 then they will definitely be worth it... for me at least.

Edited by Gareth_E

Thanks for the warning...I expect to be using Sugru again when mine arrives shortly.  It was a great success with my X-T1s and was no problem to remove from the one I traded in. You will only use a small amount of one pack in a 3 Pack.  I used the remainder of that first pack to mend the camera end of a Nikon power adapter.  Store the unopened in your fridge for a longer shelf life. 

It's a good idea to swap the AE-L and AF-L button functions around via the button/dial settings menu, as it is much easier to operate the AE-L button with your thumb than the AF-L.

This is true in terms of positioning, but on my X-T2 at least, the AE-L button is much harder to physically press. You almost have to press it with your thumb nail instead of your actual thumb. Not ideal at all.

In case anyone is interested, the R Luther buttons finally arrived today. I have applied one to the AE-L and AF-L buttons, and also to the front function button, making them MUCH easier to find. Vastly overpriced for what they are, but still... looks good and does the job! 

20ib8g5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just tweeted at FujiUS for the ability to re-assign the Q button to AF-On. That button falls perfectly under my thumb and I will literally never ever use it. The AE-L button is what I have resorted to, but it's too much of a reach to be comfortable. The AF-L button is cramped to get to for me.