I did something really stupid. I tried an X-T1 this week...

sacherjj

Been a DX Nikon shooter (D7100 and D7000) for paid portrait and event work.  Part time work that is enjoyable and paid for more than equipment.  I had an RX100 II for a while and loved having it with me, but hated shooting with it.  Sold it a year ago and shot much less.   I've tried an A6000 and some of the A7 bodies in the store and thought they were cool, but ergonomics seemed really weird.

So I kept coming back to Fuji.  And it seems like they finally nailed what I want with the X-T2.  But I'm a marry lenses and rent bodies kind of guy.  So I almost always buy a generation back.  The X-T1 is the first generation back mirrorless that appealed to me.  And my demo model from Adorama will be here next week.  It took 15 minutes of trying it out to know I was going to be selling some glass and bodies.  

It might have also been the week of vacation that I carried a wide and tele 2.8 AF-D Nikkor lens pair around with me that made the difference too.  I think I'll feel more free with a 27mm and 56mm to start.  But I'm going to play with my AF-D glass with an adaptor for a little while to make sure on my focal lengths.  And I want to force myself into MF for a while and get a good feel for it on the camera before falling back to AF.   I've often wished for a split prism at times on my DSLR.  

Wish Fuji had the old, but good and cheap used lenses I've come to love in Nikon AF-D glass.  But it may force me into fewer lenses and maybe all primes.  And I've found that sometimes restrictions make for better photographs as you problem solve instead of zoom.  We shall see.  

As I did with my RX100, I can really see the 27mm allowing me to force myself back into my Photo 365, that I actually enjoyed.  

(I also downloaded more than I care to count RAFs from X-T1 to try out in Lightroom and figure out how to work with X-Trans.  I also installed X-T1Move for cabled tethering.  I may already have a problem...)  

Does anybody want to trade a really nice D7100 for a 56mm f/1.2? 

(I'll throw in the vertical grip...  ;)  )

Edited by sacherjj

(I also downloaded more than I care to count RAFs from X-T1 to try out in Lightroom and figure out how to work with X-Trans.  I also installed X-T1Move for cabled tethering.  I may already have a problem...)  

Does anybody want to trade a really nice D7100 for a 56mm f/1.2? 

(I'll throw in the vertical grip...   ;)  )

If you use Iridient Developer as a plug-in for LR, you will not have any issues doing RAF conversion. 

Edited by Puma Cat

Well, I got it today.  No Fuji glass yet.  I tried a few years ago to shoot with my Dad's old Nikkor-N 24mm f/2.8, just after he passed.  Never really could focus it on my Nikon DX viewfinders without split prisms.  I'm loving the focus peaking.  You can't beat the action on older Nikkor MF glass.

Of course, I got a real Mirrorless introduction with checking the battery and seeing 3 bars.  So I decided not to charge before going for the walk at lunch.  After 6 shots later and 10 minutes, red battery and shut down trying to shoot shot #7.  

I was really surprised to see Fuji only connecting to +/- on the battery in the X-T1.  No connection to thermistor or "S" as is listed on the Wasabi battery I received with my Demo model.  Usually, the 4th connection is a one wire gauge.  With battery heat as the reported factor in X-T2 4K making only 10 minutes without vertical grip, I hope they use this data on the X-T2.  Pretty easy to route to a processor A/D input.  Even multiplex all two/three batteries on the X-T(1/2) for periodic sampling.

I did get to push the DR.  Shot this image, saving the highlights.  From what I was reading Nikon can pull a little more out of the highlights than Fuji.  

As opened in Lightroom: SlT6Sfo.png

ThofVBd.jpg

After +1.39 Exposure, -97 Highlights, +73 Shadows  (Over pushed by a good bit, just to see what it will do.)   The amazing thing is the noise is almost all luminance.  No color noise in there.  Definitely as good or better than my D7000.  Same with D7100, but without the banding if you push too hard on the D7100 sensor.  

kcNVjcJ.jpg

This is going to be fun.   :)

Edited by sacherjj