Quick Review of the X-T2 After my first shoot

Jwctp

I finished my first "real" shoot with the X-T2 today with a portrait client. Here's some of my initial thoughts:

• It seems snappier than my XT-1. Although, I'm not sure if I noticed a difference. Then again, I experienced the same thing with my X-T1 coming from the X-E1. I never noticed how snappy it was until I went back to my X-E1. I'll probably experience the same thing when I go back to my X-T1 for my tethered shoots.
  • The noise around ISO 1250 is surprisingly good. I can probably push it to 3200 without much degradation to image quality. 
  • The joystick is a nice idea, but it doesn't work well for me. I think I was faster mashing the directional keys on the X-T1. It moves the focus point slow until it accelerates after you hold it down. The next firmware should have a joystick sensitivity setting where I can decide how fast the focus point moves with the joystick. When my subject moves, I want to move the focus point fast with her. So far, I can't do that. 
  • The vertical tilt screen is a great, new feature. 
  • The firmware to allow tethering can't come fast enough. I can't believe Fuji released this without that feature. 
  • When I was playing with the X-T2, the back button focusing seemed to work better than the X-T1. I didn't get a chance to test that today. I'll try on future shoots. 
  • I was so used to X-T1's locking ISO button, I kept pressing the button to turn it. I need to remember to just turn the dial and not push the button. :)

Try face/eye autofocus af auto. I tried it yesterday to shoot a toddler and my hit rate was astoundingly high, which I did not expect at all. It's now perfectly useable for portraits.

I do agree that the joystick could be a tad faster than it currently is.

I pray every day for tethering abilities. Preferably thru Capture One. I do believe there is hope for more tethering capabilities in the near future. I noticed with Fuji's latest videos for the GFX that images were being view with Capture One. Now hopefully this means we can see this in the very near future. LR tethering for xt1 was slow and I didn't like having to pay for it. 

one thing i like with this T2 is that the image review seems to pop up a LOT faster.  i find this handy for looking at lighting, especially on portraits.  

i like the joystick, have disabled all directional buttons.

i DO NOT like the push button on the ISO.  i was quite comfortable with the T1 ISO, just like my old film cameras (does that date me?  B) )

Since Fuji is taking their time coming out with tethering, I'm hoping it's a lot better than X-T1s.

Having Capture One tether support would be amazing. Being able to the live view on screen would be cool too.

The biggest feature they need is tethering and saving to SD card at same time. X-T1 didn't have that basic feature. I was backing up to card on the computer by hand.

I pray every day for tethering abilities. Preferably thru Capture One. I do believe there is hope for more tethering capabilities in the near future. I noticed with Fuji's latest videos for the GFX that images were being view with Capture One. Now hopefully this means we can see this in the very near future. LR tethering for xt1 was slow and I didn't like having to pay for it.

I actually change the ISO alot during shooting (I shoot 90% manual). So I welcome this new change.

one thing i like with this T2 is that the image review seems to pop up a LOT faster. i find this handy for looking at lighting, especially on portraits.

i like the joystick, have disabled all directional buttons.

i DO NOT like the push button on the ISO. i was quite comfortable with the T1 ISO, just like my old film cameras (does that date me? B) )

+1, the old button required a lot more dexterity and pressure to change.  I like the new lock style better.

Yes, it takes getting used to, but I much prefer this too. Also, please people, stop calling it "innovative push button", my old E-M1 already had this years ago :D

Edited by Tom H.

For the work I do, I found the autofocus (I use single point most of the time) and the shutter release button to both be much more quicker.   Welcome bonus.

I found it took some time to get use to the focus joystick but as I get more comfortable with its feel, I'm really liking it.

I change ISO and Shutter quite a bit as I work, so not having to press the lock button is an excellent bonus.  The slightly larger knobs and not having to press the lock make changing the settings easier, and thus more pleasant.

The back button auto-focus is better because on the XT1 it was contrast detect only.  On the XT2 it now works the same as the shutter button and uses the phase detect ... so it is MUCH better.  Being a back-focus guy, I was very happy to get that perk.

I think they had a firmware update for the X-T1 to use PD AF for back button focus. Maybe you mean on CF, it kept pumping the focus? It seems they have fixed that in X-T2. 

For the work I do, I found the autofocus (I use single point most of the time) and the shutter release button to both be much more quicker.   Welcome bonus.

I found it took some time to get use to the focus joystick but as I get more comfortable with its feel, I'm really liking it.

I change ISO and Shutter quite a bit as I work, so not having to press the lock button is an excellent bonus.  The slightly larger knobs and not having to press the lock make changing the settings easier, and thus more pleasant.

The back button auto-focus is better because on the XT1 it was contrast detect only.  On the XT2 it now works the same as the shutter button and uses the phase detect ... so it is MUCH better.  Being a back-focus guy, I was very happy to get that perk.

That's possible, but I don't think so. I never use CF.

I asked a Fuji tech rep on Sept 8 at the release of the XT2 why the back focus button on the XT1 was so slow compared to the shutter button.  He said it is contrast detection only.  I commented that the XT2 I had in my hand (what I just purchased and was playing with his sample lenses) was nice and fast back focus .. and he said it is because it now uses phase detection.  

The two XT1's I have both have latest firmware and still have slow back-focus speed.  If there is a menu setting I'm missing and the Fuji tech forgot to mention it .. please let us know as I'd love to enable it!   :)

I think they had a firmware update for the X-T1 to use PD AF for back button focus. Maybe you mean on CF, it kept pumping the focus? It seems they have fixed that in X-T2. 

Edited by Adam Woodhouse