Has ON1 lost the plot in 2024?

I've been an avid ON1 licensed use since LR went subscription. I had update to the latest every time and thus I have ON1 Photo Raw 2024 MAX license at the current moment. I am running on a Mac Studio M1Ultra with 128 GB ram and 4 TB SSD connected to 2x 5k LG Ultrafine monitors. So should have enough grunt.

I now find that SOME of my X-H2 raw files cannot be opened by Photo Raw 2024. BUT other raw files taken seconds apart and in the SAME FOLDER with the SAME settings, can open fine. Also Photo Raw 2023, as well as a bunch of other photo editors CAN open the these files with no problem. On1 support had not been able to fix this, to date. The sent me a link to a Beta version of 2024, admitting that the last shipped version has major bugs, which were fixed by this beta - but alas, it is exactly the same. Here is a screen grab of both v2023 and 2024 side by side:

Open for comments, but please refrain from telling me to just use LR or Photoshop, or C1, etc.! Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 2/16/2024 at 5:34 AM, Paul Szilard said:

I've been an avid ON1 licensed use since LR went subscription. I had update to the latest every time and thus I have ON1 Photo Raw 2024 MAX license at the current moment. I am running on a Mac Studio M1Ultra with 128 GB ram and 4 TB SSD connected to 2x 5k LG Ultrafine monitors. So should have enough grunt.

I now find that SOME of my X-H2 raw files cannot be opened by Photo Raw 2024. BUT other raw files taken seconds apart and in the SAME FOLDER with the SAME settings, can open fine. Also Photo Raw 2023, as well as a bunch of other photo editors CAN open the these files with no problem. On1 support had not been able to fix this, to date. The sent me a link to a Beta version of 2024, admitting that the last shipped version has major bugs, which were fixed by this beta - but alas, it is exactly the same. Here is a screen grab of both v2023 and 2024 side by side:

Open for comments, but please refrain from telling me to just use LR or Photoshop, or C1, etc.! Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am seeing a similar issue with Photos taken with my Xt4. Just emailed support so we shall see. The only thing I can tell different is this batch were taken with a black and white film simulation. However that being said some of those do appear with a image. Only some do not show an image. 

Some images that have both a blank preview and also blank on edit had an on1 file but deleting it made no difference on some, on others the preview was still blank but a blurry image did appear when in edit mode.  Other blank ones had no corresponding file. I did notice in ON1 the "bad" files had partially blank EXIF info.  Also I would swear which are blank changes at times.

Hmmm. Thanks for getting back. Next thing to try. 

1. Quit ON1
  2. Create a temp folder
  3. Use Finder (on Mac) or Explorer (Windows) to copy the image files that have the problem, to the temp folder
  4. Start ON1 and browse the copied files
  5. IF they wok, then from inside ON1, drag them to their original location and when prompted, select Replace
  6. Report back!

That seemed to do the trick.  Any idea why that was the fix? I think some of the issues on most of these may be tied to the matching Jpeg being an Acros film simulation.  That still seems to be confusing ON1 as the colors occasionally is messed up unless I set the Jpeg and Raw to be treated separately.  Perhaps its a coincidence . 

I don't have a definitive answer, but it seems to be that ON1 can get confused(!). Using this "trick" it is ignoring previous read attempts and seemed to have solved my problems. I had about a dozen photos that were problematic. Hopefully ON1 will fix this "feature" in the future.

Glad it worked for you.

Digging more into it the app still struggles at times if the setting to combine jpeg and raw together is on.  Had all working after separating the two file types.   Appears only Raws matched with Acros BW simulation were the problem.  What I found further is the app is still "confused" by only some Jpegs shot with the Fuji Acros BW simulation.  Even after is was working by all for a bit. The app is struggling with some of the Jpegs.  I think that was the root of the issue.  There is some bug that needs to be addressed with this situation.  I do have a ticket open with support. We shall see if that goes anywhere.

Edited by olmy