Why does this camera have a top display?!?!

The GFX has 2 modes. All external dials and all menu based like a conventional digital slr. In the 2nd mode, the top display is to facilitate quick access to settings. The lens has a C setting which enables you to control the aperture using the assigned dial on the camera body. Clever.

My previous Nikon D600 had a LCD on top - as most other DSLRs do. I don't miss it on my X-Pro2, but still it was kind of helpful on the D600 and would be helpful on the X-Pro2 especially when shooting with the screen switched off and only use EVF. You have all the information you need on a tiny screen.

Edited by menphrad

I suspect the top display and the pretend prism housing are design clues to signal that it's a serious pro camera.  Just in case we missed the clues from the $5000 price tag and the huge sensor.

Same reason that every movie these days is a remake of an old movie - the accountants will not allow the designers/directors to take any risks. 

Same reason that every movie these days is a remake of an old movie - the accountants will not allow the designers/directors to take any risks. 

In this, I honestly believe that there are no more new stories which would turn into a classic in future. The works of Grimm brothers, Hans Christian Anderson and Stan Lee are limited......and therefore needs to be remade.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly a mini top screen with finger dials is much more efficient than the classic fuji dials. I totally understand why people love them, and I'm glad fuji has provided options for both.

From what I've read you can configure the dials to adjust whatever settings you want, which is also great. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't need a LCD on the back.

I know one guy... He checks what he'd shot weeks later because it's like to shoot the roll of film - abstract and calm down - send it to the lab - get it back - scan and finaly look at what he's got... saying WTF is that!?! :lol:

Edited by mdm

I know one guy... He checks what he'd shot weeks later because it's like to shoot the roll of film - abstract and calm down - send it to the lab - get it back - scan and finaly look at what he's got... saying WTF is that!?! :lol:

Actually that's good practice. More people should do that. It removes the emotional attachment you may have had to a certain moment and allows you to judge the shot more for how good it actually is.

Actually that's good practice. More people should do that.

Well, I just partly agree. This practice might be ok providing you've got the series of good shots and later on you will choose the best. However by some reason you may have the series of bad shots and even don't be aware about it if you didn't check the results briefly while shooting. No?

Edited by mdm

Well, I just partly agree. This practice might be ok providing you've got the series of good shots and later on you will choose the best. However by some reason you may have the series of bad shots and even don't be aware about it if you didn't check the results briefly while shooting. No?

If it's paid work, sure, check it while you're shooting.

But I rarely review anymore when shooting. With the evf I know my exposure beforehand and if you're not shooting everything wide open, focus should usually be fine too.

I usually have the X-T2 in my work bag and I'll review the shots only once my 7 day duty is over. Works for me, helps me be brutal when culling shots.

Not that long ago film was still king and there was no such thing as checking the shot until it came back from the lab.

I still shoot film on occasion for the zen of it. It's good practice for everyone.

Edited by Tom H.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason for the top display is that a lot of pros shoot and waist level or even lower (sometimes with the camera on a very short tripod on the floor; think automobile editorial photography, for example) in the studio. Many, many pros used Rolleiflex TLR, Hassy CMs, all with a waist-level viewfinder for decades.

Also, remember the attachable viewfinder will tilt up (vertical) with it's adapter; this is also for intended for waist level use. The top display is very useful for shooting this way. 

Fuji is very good at really understanding it's customer's needs; they think every design decision through very thoroughly, the design features are there for sound reasons. 

Edited by Puma Cat

Actually that's good practice. More people should do that. It removes the emotional attachment you may have had to a certain moment and allows you to judge the shot more for how good it actually is.

It *IS* a good practice. I will often go back to images from photography events, workshops or holidays months or even a few years later and review the "take", look for new insights into an image, and also, often will re-process a "select" with the new tools that are always available. 

I will often go back to images from photography events, workshops or holidays months or even a few years later and review the "take"

Yes, I do the same with old images, but when I came from shooting walk I won't wait neither a week nor a single day cause I feel like a boy with a bag of toys my mom just bought me and brought home. Not in this case really. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...