I will start this Forum with an update of a comment I posted at DPReview a couple of months ago:

Since 2012 I've been a confirmed Fuji X camera user, and never in 40 years of shooting have I had cameras I liked more than the lovely little X10 and X20 - not even my old Leicas and Contax Ts. (I've retired my big clunky DSLRs.)

I'm sure the X30 is an excellent camera, but I yearn for something better: an X100Z (the “Z” standing for zoom) with a lens equivalent to the one on my X20 (but of course configured for the larger X100 series sensor). This would make what is arguably the best small camera in the world even better, and appeal to a much larger audience than the fixed prime lens versions have.

I yearn for the image quality and only slightly larger body (to say nothing of the amazing hybrid viewfinder) of the X100T, but without giving up the flexibility of the superb zoom lens on my X20. I love the way I can reach out through these flexible little cameras and bring back interesting pieces of the world. Will Fuji ever oblige us with an X100Z, or am I only daydreaming?

To see photographs I’ve taken with the X10 and X20, go to my latest book, "Searching for Edward Hopper," at:
rpkphoto.smugmug.com/Books/Searching-for-Edward-Hopper. The 33 images from 2012 or later were made with these Fuji cameras.

a bit off topic, but related to the sensor size...

Sony announced the intention to give up the APSC format and to concentrate on FF.

Its disappointing that Fuji, after reinventing the mirrorless range with the initial X100, is slow in the development.

One reason is that they stuck on the X-trans sensor. I understand somehow this, Fuji wants to differentiate them

self from other brands bringing some fresh air into the busines. The question is if its worth of it?

The main problem of Fuji is the management decision on the X-mount diameter. This very incompetent decision was

taken without any future vision. Sony, with the E-mount, can go two railed allowing smooth transition to FF without

customer disappointment. Fuji can't!

Fuji does not want to. You are assuming that FF is the ultimate goal .. It is not. Their 'future vision' is here now with uncompromising dedication to APSC. Don't like it? don't buy it.

But really lets not get into that here because you are right, that is not even close to the topic. <_<

Especially when speaking of a zoom option ..

The lens would be of a substantial size for APSC, but to make it FF would be absurd. :blink:

The question for rkphoto would be, if it would not be better to have a X40 with 1" sensor and a lens that remains relatively bright and compact.

I don't know if the X100 form factor makes sense with a lens that would probably only be slightly smaller than either the 16-50mm or 18-55mm.

_________

@below:

The correct answer is can't .

If it were a question, it wasn't, the answer as you call it, would be irrelevant. Not to mention FALSE considering the topic is about fixed lens cameras that do not have a mount.

Even if your desire for an APSC/zoom lens X100Z were feasible in an acceptable form factor, the Fuji marketers might conclude (perhaps correctly) that such a camera would cannibalize their market for interchangeable lens bodies.

Even if your desire for an APSC/zoom lens X100Z were feasible in an acceptable form factor, the Fuji marketers might conclude (perhaps correctly) that such a camera would cannibalize their market for interchangeable lens bodies.

Hmm i don't know. Does the Panasonic LX100 cannibalize their MFT system cameras?

It even has a F1.7-F2.8 zoom, so why would anyone (that doesn't mind the lack of a long tele) ever need anything else, one might say. An yet, no signs of cannibalism. ^_^

To be honest, I love the original X100 just the way it is. Sure, there are times when I would like to have a little reach. I guess it really depends on what it is you shoot, and how you intend to use it. When I am carrying it with me, it is usually with the intention of shooting close, and the width is helpful. 

Torn. I can see an argument either way. But as it stands, I love it the way it is. Maybe one day I'll step up to the X100T.

The size of this lens if of acceptable quality would be of similar dimensions to the 16-55mm f/2.8-4 - so if you like the rangefinder style why not get an X-Pro with the zoom.

Much more likely is an X40 with a 1" sensor like most of it's other competitors in the high-end compact market. There was quite a bit of disappointment when the 2/3 sensor was used again, and you can guarantee that there will be a bigger sensor in the next iteration of the model.

The size of this lens if of acceptable quality would be of similar dimensions to the 16-55mm 18-55mm f/2.8-4 - so if you like the rangefinder style why not get an X-Pro with the zoom.

Because: http://camerasize.com/compact/#258,395,ha,b

Also, when building the lens into the camera literally, it both saves space and allows for more extreme lens designs that would not be possible with the limitations of a interchangeable lens mount. Again i would refer to the Pansonic LX100 and compare that lens tot the size of the Panasonic 12-35mm for example that is 'only' F2.8 yet it is multiple times the size. For the same size sensor .. http://camerasize.com/compact/#569,570.336,ha,t

Plus, It would have a leaf-shutter which is awesome, and the aperture 'ring' from the X100 is an experience in itself imho. ;)

@Maurice, et al,

I understand your point and generally agree.  I also own the LX-100 and love it, but because of the variable aspect ratio it is never the equivalent of the full m4/3 sensor.  Which may be Pany's way of avoiding the issue I raised.

@Maurice, et al,

I understand your point and generally agree.  I also own the LX-100 and love it, but because of the variable aspect ratio it is never the equivalent of the full m4/3 sensor.  Which may be Pany's way of avoiding the issue I raised.

The difference due to variable AR is negligible, is corrected by using a slightly wider lens, and in the end only a positive really. (it's just not that good a sensor) -_-

There will always be differences, of course, but you're missing the point. They offer a fixed lens option because there will be different possibilities, in this case a F1.7-2.8(!) lens in a extremely compact package. Seriously, how is a 1% difference in sensor size even relevant compared to that. Such a lens is not even offered (or feasible) separately.

But this is not about any one Panasonic. It's just a random real-world example to show that something like that did not even slightly affect the system sales, simply because people that want interchangeable lenses will get a interchangeable lens system!

I am completely happy with the 16mp sensor and see little need for anything larger. For me, more than a larger sensor and completely new body, I'd like to see an X100 with something like a 46-ish mm lens. That would be a DREAM companion to what is already my hands down favorite camera.

Meh just embrace that for once a company delivers an uncompromised design made for photographers. One focale = best possible quality, small package, makes you a better photographer, why do you think it has such a huge success?

By degrading quality, size and weight with a zoom you'll end up pleasing no one trying to please everyone.

It would just be another fancy expensive toy with no real special quality that made it successful in the first place, it's dumb.

Yeah, I think the X-30 is really the sweet spot with regards to a compact camera with zoom.  No, its not an APS-C sensor, but it is the same technology as its more expensive cousins.  

I think by trying to force a zoom into the X100T, you will compromise something.  In an ideal world if they were able to pull it off, would I buy it?  AB-SO-LUTELY!

Meh just embrace that for once a company delivers an uncompromised design made for photographers. One focale = best possible quality, small package, makes you a better photographer, why do you think it has such a huge success?

By degrading quality, size and weight with a zoom you'll end up pleasing no one trying to please everyone.

It would just be another fancy expensive toy with no real special quality that made it successful in the first place, it's dumb.

+1, Citral. My view exactly; couldn't have said it better.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want flexibility in a small format there is only 1 king and that's the Sony rx100 (all versions). It can't be beaten. I tried one and was amazed how you still could get thin DOF with such a small camera and sensor. It's so small you can put it in your front or back pocket.

Just remember a aps-c sized zoom compact would require a much larger sized lens. Fuji should ditch the 2/3 sensor and put in a 1" x-trans sensor. That would make a possible Fuji x40 a real contender for the rx100.

OP I look at your book "Searching for Edward Hopper", it's a lot of work and I really apreciate it and the overall feeling, but regarding your post one thing strikes me : I don't think any of those pictures could NOT be taken with a fixed 35mm equivalent, heh.

Sony announced the intention to give up the APSC format and to concentrate on FF.

As camera manufacturer, not as sensor manufacturer.

And perhaps Sony will build no more cameras tomorrow, because they are not profitable. But they will build sensors for many customers. Because the sensor division of Sony is high profitable.

The LX100 has a 13mm X 17mm MFT sensor.  I still have the first Canon G1X as my 'grab and go' or 'leave in the car' camera.  It has a 14mm X 18.7mm 1.5" sensor and the size of the body and retracting zoom give some indication of the size an APSC fixed zoom camera might be if Fuji were to offer one as an X100Z.  Obviously an APSC model would be bigger again.  It could be a very good camera with a quiet leaf shutter, a decent EVF and a lens of a reasonable compromise in speed. I don't agree that the idea is a poor one.  It would sell to a different market from the X100 series with the 23mm prime lens.  It might in fact sell very well - as the LX100 has done for Panasonic. 

My guess is that after all the comments made about the X30 at launch, there will be a 1" sensor in the next iteration of their X "compact". 

• 2 months later...

RPKphoto,

I wholeheartedly share that wish for a x-100z.

I too had an x10, loved everything it offered, particularly the manual collapseable zoom:

I loved that zoom, as it was instaneous to set focal length, compared to motorized zooms. (Bleah).

Originally the only thing missing from the x10 for me, was my need for an intervalometer.

Secondary to that, was an actual EVF, a mic jack...etc.

Then the x20 and x30 came out, and they addressed all of my wishes. And more. (Tiltable LCD)

However I didn't jump to either model, as I was starting to itch for better image quality/clarity that a larger sensor would bring.

Maybe in asking for a mirracle, or the impossible, but a 100z model would be that wish fulfilled!

I can't comfortably switch to the 100t, even with zoom adapter. A collapseable manual zoom on the x100 (x100z) would be, well, simply amazing.

Thanks for listening Fuji! ;)

What is being discussed is in essence a different type of camera - and it could not have an X-100 title because it would confuse the line.

I love the 100T because it is a FIXED focal length lens, because of its size.

As for there being a market for a 'bridge' tyoe camera - well Fuji already build for that market - mybe they will move those bodies over to incorporating the X style of bodies and internals...

Probably once they have the 24mp sensor up and running and improved A/F