50-140 too much weight on camera mount to hang by camera strap?

deepsun

Didn't see anything on this. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to carry the 50-140 while mounted to a camera? Wondering if the lens would put too much weight on the actual camera mount. Is it safe to keep the camera strap attached, or should I attach a sling strap directly to the the tripod mount on the lens?

Wondering about this too. Always felt the lens is too heavy to be left hanging on the mount.

Yeah, especially while walking around at a 3-4 hour event with the weight of the lens swinging around. Probably just rent a sling strap and carry it attached to the tripod collar on the lens. 

Yeah, especially while walking around at a 3-4 hour event with the weight of the lens swinging around. Probably just rent a sling strap and carry it attached to the tripod collar on the lens.

Even more so while cycling.

Anyway, I would attach the strap to the collar if it didn't add much weight. I could actually feel the difference, with and without it. Currently I'm just holding the lens in my hand but would like to know other solutions as well.

Use a double strap, one on the lens collar the other one on the camera body, it will help a bit to mitigate the weight issue.

In personal experience, I never had much issues with a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 on any of the Nikon camera I have used, but I never had them for several hours, usually it's about a couple of hours at most as it's freakingly heavy...

Use a double strap, one on the lens collar the other one on the camera body, it will help a bit to mitigate the weight issue.

In personal experience, I never had much issues with a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 on any of the Nikon camera I have used, but I never had them for several hours, usually it's about a couple of hours at most as it's freakingly heavy...

I'm going with a sling strap attached to the tripod collar of the lens. And I'll probably run thin, heavy duty cord from one of the camera strap rings to the ring on the end of the sling strap, incase it comes loose from the tripod collar on the lens.

I use Black Rapid sling straps and my tripod is an Arca-Swiss mount. Black Rapid makes a plate that screws into the tripod mounting hole on the base of the camera, or in this case the base of the lens foot...I've attached the plate to the foot of the lens and, there is a loop on the plate to attach the strap...the camera rides hip level and balances nicely...the bottom of the place has a ring, where the strap attaches...remove the strap and the ring tucked out of the way to mount the camera to a tripod. It's a faily elegant solution. I've used it various conditions, blizzard to sweating heat without an issue.

Edited by Warren

I can't imagine that it would be a problem. Fuji would warn the photographer if damage could occur. If a camera can't handle the full line of lenses, it's not a solid camera design.

Then again neither did canikon but you know better than try to hand held a 400 F4 on any body ;)