X-T2 Freezes

paulcory

Good news, today my repaired X-T2 returned to my sweaty little hands. bravo-009.gif

According to the document enclosed the Main PWB was replaced as was the top plate. Also the camera firmware was updated to 2.11, so just maybe part of the problem was firmware related?

All this cost me not a penny due to the camera being just in the warranty period which runs out in September, well done Fuji. It now looks like a new camera as the top plate replacement also meant that the dials which had a dodgy numeral paint have obviously replaced when the top plate was changed. It's nice to have it back, and as a bonus it came with a 126 battery installed which I had no sent back with it. I can stop biting my fingernails now.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else having issues with their X-T2 randomly freezing? I have had this happen three times in the past few days. Shooting in continuous low, and either turn the camera off, or stop shooting to check an image, and it locks up solid and I have to remove the battery to get it up and running again.

No issues at all but my three batteries are all NP-W126S. Since I had Wasabi batteries once which I did not think were better than the originals (in another camera), I always stick to the recommended ones for the particular camera.

Batteries are not the problem, I have an inkling that it may be an SD card problem as my problem of freezing returned after, so I contacted Fuji Support UK and spoke to Albert who suggested that the problem might be connected to the fast Lexar 2000X cards, so he said change the cards and reset the camera and format the cards in camera. He said try that for several days and log any freezes that happen and get back to them should the freezing return. After six days of trying to trigger a freeze nada, time will tell! Fingers crossed!!!

• 1 month later...

I have had freezes using the X-T2 battery in the body, alone, and with the battery grip attached. I have also had freezes with using an X-T1 fuji branded battery in the camera.

Freezes have been happening with really high write speed cards in slot 1: Lexar 2000x and Transcend UHS-II (180MB/sec write), and Lexar 1000x cards in slot 2, recording RAW (slot 1) + Fine JPEG (slot 2). I have not tried with using the ultra high speed cards in both slots - will have to test. In limited use with the 1000x cards in both slots, I haven't had a freeze, but the sample size is too low to make a conclusion.

Freezes have also just started happening mid shoot sequence. Annoying.

Lexar cards have been proven to be problematic in the past.  

• 3 months later...

The X-T2 freeze (randomly) when try to get out of power saving. Does not react to any command (power on / off or other) and does not display anything in the viewfinder or on the display. The only way to get it back to work is by removing the battery.

The phenomenon is manifested with different types of memory cards or without them, various types of batteries including the original, with or without VPB-XT2.

It happened 6 times in a evening, once two weeks ago and last time yesterday evening missing shots of nice and unique moments from my son birthday due that I had to remove the VPB and than the battery from body... very frustrating... Today informed Fujifilm about the problem and I was called back in one hour for more details.

Worth to mention that the camera was bought in mid of September 2017 and  upgraded with firmware 3.0.

Since the device is intended for professional use and I intend to use it as such, the problem is worrying and raises questions about the reliability and the possibility of using it professionally.

The X-T2 freeze (randomly) when try to get out of power saving. Does not react to any command (power on / off or other) and does not display anything in the viewfinder or on the display. The only way to get it back to work is by removing the battery.

The phenomenon is manifested with different types of memory cards or without them, various types of batteries including the original, with or without VPB-XT2.

It happened 6 times in a evening, once two weeks ago and last time yesterday evening missing shots of nice and unique moments from my son birthday due that I had to remove the VPB and than the battery from body... very frustrating... Today informed Fujifilm about the problem and I was called back in one hour for more details.

Worth to mention that the camera was bought in mid of September 2017 and  upgraded with firmware 3.0.

Since the device is intended for professional use and I intend to use it as such, the problem is worrying and raises questions about the reliability and the possibility of using it professionally.

That's too bad.

I have two XT-2's and have shot many weddings on them.  I've never had the problems you are experiencing.  I use both Fuji and Watson batteries. Both SD slots have identical make/speed cards ... but one is 64gig the other is 32gig.  Always have latest firmware on my cameras.

I think your experiences to comment about it being worrying and raising questions about the reliability for professional work may be quite limited to just you since it is used that way on a global scale.  But you certainly have a valid concern with the unit you have.  I'd pursue having it replaced or have Fuji service it while being clear to them that you intent to use it professionally.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

Of course that I raise the questions related to proffessional use only for my future relation with this camera... As for service point of view my only choice is replacing with a new camera... changing MoBo or other inside intervention is out of discussion... we speak about four months old camera with just 2000 + photos...

NWPhoto, it was not to have a go at you, but those irritating so called "you tube" experts who spout a lot but know very little! In the short time I've had my X-T2 and used both types of battery, which are essentially the same thing, without any trouble. My understanding is that the original 126 batteries created heat when under heavy drain caused by using the video function, so the internal battery circuits have been rearranged/rewired to lessen the heat build up, as far as I can ascertain.

Would Fuji really not warn their customers of potential problems with their batteries, I don't think so!

As to SD cards I only use Sandisk or Lexar as I don't trust other makes! I also only buy the fastest that I can afford!

Regards Mike

AGREED!  Many of these youtube experts (a short list comes to mind) have no freakin' clue what they are talking about!

• 3 months later...

After reading through all these posts, what is the solution or have people sold their cameras? Has any definitive cause or remedy been stated by anyone?

Post by original poster in 2017 says he returned it and had Fuji warranty repair and camera functions fine. Stuff happens when you make millions of units...99.999% of us have XT2's functioning as promised etc.

• 1 year later...

My Fuji X-T2 froze while doing a video. Body Version 4.30, Lens Version 3.22, FUJIFILM 18-55 XF OIS Lens, Fuji-film NP-W126S battery, Lexar Professional 64GB 300MB/s 2000X in each slot. To un-freeze it, the battery was removed. It worked fine after.

• 2 years later...

Even though this thread is quite old I'm wondering if there is a solution to this problem.
I recently retired my X-T2 as my main shooter and tried using it with an Elgato Cam Link 4k. The picture quality is great, but the camera is unusable as a webcam because of its constant freezes. I already tried using different SD-Cards or even no card at all. Aditionally I have tried using it on bateries aswell as on main power through the barrel plug on the battery grip. No matter what I tried it kept freezing in random intervals.
The bodys and the lenses firmware are up to date.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:38 AM, Henning02 said:

Even though this thread is quite old I'm wondering if there is a solution to this problem.
I recently retired my X-T2 as my main shooter and tried using it with an Elgato Cam Link 4k. The picture quality is great, but the camera is unusable as a webcam because of its constant freezes. I already tried using different SD-Cards or even no card at all. Aditionally I have tried using it on bateries aswell as on main power through the barrel plug on the battery grip. No matter what I tried it kept freezing in random intervals.
The bodys and the lenses firmware are up to date.

I have not used my XT2 in the way you are but I have never had freezing problems.