X-T2 Freezes

paulcory

Nevermind, that may not be the only cause. I had two shoots today, one indoors and one outdoors. On the first shoot the camera didn't freeze at all so I thought all was well. I was making sure I gave the camera plenty of time to "wake up". On the second shoot the camera started freezing within the first 15 or 20 photos and kept happening until I switched shooting modes. Again, I was giving the camera plenty of time to wake up. I switched to either single shot, or continuous high and the problem went away on both of those modes. It only seems to happen on continuous low, which is where I like to shoot the most for subjects that move or blink. I end up with way too many photos for my needs on continuous high. 

I love my XT2 but this problem is starting to get really irritating as it becomes more frequent. When I pull the battery, the frozen photo in the EVF is lost. I'm hoping this is one of the bugs that will be fixed in the new firmware update! 

This is exactly the same issue I have, only on CL. I also seem go get random sets of half a dozen images or so that are over-exposed by a couple of stops. Happens on both Fuji and non-Fuji lenses. 

This is exactly the same issue I have, only on CL. I also seem go get random sets of half a dozen images or so that are over-exposed by a couple of stops. Happens on both Fuji and non-Fuji lenses. 

Yeap... Same issue here. I was hoping the firmware that was going to be release but was delayed had a fix in it.

I also called Fuji today and they told me to send it in. They asked to video record the issue and send the video file with the camera. Today I was able to replicate the issue by shooting in CL for a min or two and the camera would lock up when I engaged the menu. The menu window would get stuck in the viewfinder. I hate to send it in as I will be without a camera for at least 2 weeks. :-(  My X-T1 also started acting up after 2.5 years of owning it. I LOVE my Fuji cameras, but I never had issues like these with my Canon bodies. I was quoted $380 to fix the X-T1. At the rate these bodies depreciate I can buy an semi-new one for $500-$600. I didn't see the point in fixing it. More like disposable bodies. If I continue having problems with the X-T2 this might be my last Fuji and go back to Canon for reliability. :-(

Modern cameras these days are small computers. Computer freezes when you push it to the limit. It could be software issue, hardware + software issue or accessory (ie card) issue. The fact that it happens randomly makes it hard to trace the cause of it. It is better if everyone experiencing this issue inform Fuji about the exact circumstances when it happened. Only with enough information can Fuji make proper diagnosis and hopeful fix it in future firmware update.

I also called Fuji today and they told me to send it in. They asked to video record the issue and send the video file with the camera. Today I was able to replicate the issue by shooting in CL for a min or two and the camera would lock up when I engaged the menu. The menu window would get stuck in the viewfinder. I hate to send it in as I will be without a camera for at least 2 weeks. :-(  My X-T1 also started acting up after 2.5 years of owning it. I LOVE my Fuji cameras, but I never had issues like these with my Canon bodies. I was quoted $380 to fix the X-T1. At the rate these bodies depreciate I can buy an semi-new one for $500-$600. I didn't see the point in fixing it. More like disposable bodies. If I continue having problems with the X-T2 this might be my last Fuji and go back to Canon for reliability. :-(

I had to send 3 of my Nikon bodies in for repair over a 5yr period, all due to different lock ups or complete hardware failures where components needed to be replaced.  All cameras had less than 60,000 actuation's.  It happens everywhere .....

I think it is a combo of luck and usage of the gear.  Since I only use the equipment in a professional capacity, it was used quite heavily.  The problem was all bodies had less than 60,000 actuations.  I would have expected if problems were going to happen to maybe be after 100K actuations.  The SB800 that died on me did so after approx 3yrs usage (and I used it a fair amount).

I've heard some complain that Canon repair service is awful.  But then I've heard others where their Canon service was great.  It varies quite a bit at the different service centres and countries.  I've also seen photographer feedback from different locations that Sony camera repair service is awful on a global scale.  My experience with the Nikon service centre in Ontario, Canada was good ... I just wished I didn't have to visit them so often when I was invested in their products!

Just down the road from the Nikon service centre/office in Ontario, Canada is the Fuji office.  I haven't had to visit Fuji yet ... but I know it is just a matter of time.  These sophisticated mechanical devices are going to fail eventually.  Especially when used in a professional capacity that requires long extended usage on a regular basis.

On the positive side .. I have not suffered from the XT2 freezing syndrome yet.   :)    But I never use the camera in CL shooting mode, never use continuous auto focus and always have two of the same brand, same speed memory cards in the camera.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

• 2 weeks later...

NEW FIRMWARE INSTALLED!!!

Made no difference with the freezing issue on my XT2...It still freezes in continuous low shooting mode if you look through the LCD and start shooting too soon after turning the camera on.. It has nothing to do with continuous autofocus or having two cards of the same brand and speed. 

May be time to bring it back to where you purchased it, show the problem you are having.  See if they do an exchange on site or if they direct you to send in for warranty service.  If you can reproduce it intentionally, I'd expect you wouldn't have any trouble getting it repaired or replaced.

Agreed, only problem is I ordered it online so I can't bring it back to the store and I'm pretty sure it's past the 30 day mark anyway. I need to send it back to Fuji. 

I shoot for a living and I've come to depend on the XT2 already. I've shot with Fuji for a while but this is the first camera that has really allowed me to leave my Canon's at home. I haven't touched them at all since the XT2 arrived. I have to wait until after my busy season is over before I have a long enough break to send it back to Fuji. For now, I'd rather keep using the camera as-is and just avoid shooting on continuous low.

I empathize as I use to shoot for a living as well.  The downtime you have when a camera is in the shop has to be scheduled accordingly.  I was fortunate (in a sense) that I could drive 2hrs and be at the Canadian Nikon service centre and I had Nikon Profesisonal Services membership, so turn-around was usually 3 days and they would ship it to me very quickly.  I was not fortunate in a sense because I had to visit them too many times over a 5yr period with $1800 in repairs to the point where I said 'I'm done with this brand'.

The Fuji Canada office is just up the road from the Nikon office, so again it would take me 2hrs to drive to ... but I have not had to deal with Fuji service yet.  When you send it into Fuji, be sure to indicate somewhere you are a professional photographer and you request a quick turn around.  Before I had NPS membership with Nikon, I would tell them that and they would note it on the service ticket and yes ... I would get quicker turn around.  You should indicate this to them so they know you don't have all the time in the world because you are a hobbiest that takes pictures of your cat.   LOL

I empathize as I use to shoot for a living as well.  The downtime you have when a camera is in the shop has to be scheduled accordingly.  I was fortunate (in a sense) that I could drive 2hrs and be at the Canadian Nikon service centre and I had Nikon Profesisonal Services membership, so turn-around was usually 3 days and they would ship it to me very quickly.  I was not fortunate in a sense because I had to visit them too many times over a 5yr period with $1800 in repairs to the point where I said 'I'm done with this brand'.

The Fuji Canada office is just up the road from the Nikon office, so again it would take me 2hrs to drive to ... but I have not had to deal with Fuji service yet.  When you send it into Fuji, be sure to indicate somewhere you are a professional photographer and you request a quick turn around.  Before I had NPS membership with Nikon, I would tell them that and they would note it on the service ticket and yes ... I would get quicker turn around.  You should indicate this to them so they know you don't have all the time in the world because you are a hobbiest that takes pictures of your cat.   LOL

Lol, good tips there. Thanks

I've sent my cameras in to Canon a few times in the past but it was always from things that I had done to them, like cracking the frame on a 5D3 for example. Well, except one of the cameras needed a shutter mechanism replaced, but it did have over 450,000 actuations on it at the time.

Edited by RM_Photog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just wanted to share my observations. I've owned the X-T2 since september 2016, and I've pretty much been having lockups since day one - always in CH or CL. The lockups would freeze the camera completely, sometimes with a white EVF/LCD, and the green/orange LED being constantly orange. The only way to get it out of the lockup would be to remove the batteries in the grip.

At first I was using third party batteries in the booster grip (but the original NP-W126S in camera). Then I read it might be a battery related problem, so I bought two more NP-W126S. Didn't fix anything...

Then I read it might be related to my Lexar 64GB 150MB/s UHS-II cards, so I bought two new Sandisk 64GB 300MB/s UHS-II cards. Didn't fix anything either...!

At this point it started to get pretty expensive...

Scanned through every thinkable menu option and tried switching off "compressed raw". Well, I've been pushing my X-T2 all day now, shooting about 300GB of photos at 11fps, WITHOUT any freezing!

This could be it. I'll continue to test this, and get back to you.

Well I've been testing today again, taking around 3000 shots at CH 11fps. Uncompressed RAW. No lockups!

Just tried switching it back to compressed RAW, and guess what, it locked up within the second burst of shots, took just a few seconds. Again, I had to remove the battery grip to reset it.

To be sure, I did this twice, and it locked up both times.

So for me it's a no brainer, the compressed raw is to blame.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the Main Board replaced by Fuji and it still locks up. It did it during a helicopter shoot yesterday, too, so I am not a happy camper. Today got it to lock with & without the grip. New NP-W126S batteries, Sandisk 300mb/s UHS II cards.

Will call them tomorrow and see what they want to do.

I think their is a big chance you will solve your problem with XT2 batteries and or fast SD card, the fastest card you can afford. Batteries 126s and SanDisk u2 card. Otherwise, it is a problem with the camera. But I am confident it just requires the above explaIned attention.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I thought I had this problem. It turned out to be a failing Lexar 32Gb UHS2 card. It started giving random problems and is now completely dead. Windows reports it as 7.62 GB and cannot format it. Neither can the camera. I have never had a problem with Sandisk. Not only that but the read only switch is so loose I had to fix it in place with paint. I will never buy another Lexar.