X-T2 Freezes

paulcory

Don't have the boost grip, but I've been using Sandisk Extreme+ 32gb(80MBs) in slot 1 and a Sandisk Extreme 16gb(45MBs) in slot two for the past week. Shot stills, brackets, HD video, 4k vid with a bunch of lenses and haven't experienced any freeze ups, fingers crossed. Set up to write raw and video to slot one and jpegs to slot 2. So far the camera has been a pleasure to shoot.

One more case of X-T2 freeze here!!!

Is everybody experiencing it when shooting through the EVF or are there any LCD freeze cases too???

I experienced 4 cases during one shoot and all happened when I was shooting through the EVF.

Set Up:

Brand new Fujifilm X-T2 camera,

Fuji's own battery that came with the camera,

2x brand new identical 32GB SANDISK Extreme Pro UHSII (280MB/sec) formatted in camera and in SEQUENTIAL mode (camera writes on card in slot1 until it fills up, then goes to card in slot2)

NO BATTERY GRIP

Fujinon XF18-55mm f2.8-4 R LM OIS (OIS always engaged and aperture switch always set to manual selection mode) 

I got the camera less than a week ago. Shot some very random 'lets get to knowing each other' test shots for 2 days with no apparent issues.

On the third day I took the camera with me for a christening shoot to see how it does on field. Most of the job was shot on my mkIII and with the X-T2 I was on experimental mode, testing out various settings, shooting both through the LCD & the EVF, in Continuous High, Continuous Low, Single shot, in Continuous,Single and Manual focusing mode, Boost Mode, Normal Mode etc.etc.

As mentioned above on all 4 cases the freeze happened while shooting through the X-T2's EVF.

It would get stuck showing the last shot taken and nothing else (no shutter speed, aperture or any other info, just the pic)

and refuse to respond to anything (even turning the ON\OFF dial to OFF) I did, apart from taking out the battery and reinserting it after which the camera would resume operation as if nothing weird had ever happened.

I can not be sure for the exact settings on all 4 of my encounters with the X-T2's cold side but I do remember that during the last 2 I was shooting on Continuous Low drive mode.

During that shoot I also had ONE occasion of an inexplicable and extreme overexposure as mentioned by others here.

I also noticed that the function button at the front, right beside the lens, was behaving erratically, sometimes bringing up the Drive Mode selection menu and others (most of them) doing nothing at all.

I'm no camera techie but all this smells like bad circuitry to me more than firmware issues.

In any case, my camera is now at Fujifilm's official distributor here in Greece and I'm waiting for my replacement body

and hoping they'll have the apparently-not-so-rare issue SORTED (pun intended) before they start shipping more camera bodies!

Fingers Crossed!!!

Happy and unproblematic clicks to all :)

Cheers,

Theo 

I had a freezing while using the WiFi connection to transfer photos to my phone. It took quite long, then my phone lost connection and I got an error message saying the file could not be transferred.

That's where the whole camera froze and I had to pull the battery. It seems like a script error in a browser to me, where suddenly something goes wrong and the system won't reset itself or revert to default function.

No grip, standard X-T2 battery, 2 times SanDisk UHS-II 64gb.

Happened twice now. The first time I couldn't even turn the camera off, and an image was stuck on the screen. I popped the battery out for a minute and it reset.

Fuji says there may be a problem with Lexar cards, and directed me to software for formatting them on a laptop before using them in an XT2.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I've done that, so now we will see if it happens again. Hope not! Missed a critical shot on set because of it.

Here's a link re card compatibility:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/compatibility/card/x/

If it's not the cards (and it may be) then I think it's a firmware glitch which can be fixed with an update.

The problem has never happened with my X-Pro2.

I LOVE my X-T2. It's the body I use it the most for work (stills photographer). If this gets resolved, I'm buying a second.

This seems to work. I have two Lexar cards and the intermittent freezing began about a month after getting the marvelous XT-2. I downloaded the free SDFormatter in the above-quoted link and ran both cards through it. (It takes quite awhile to perform this if the "erase" option is chosen.)

Popped the cards back in (I did not format them within the XT-2) and everything seems to working fine--at least for now! I'm sure a firmware update will fix this.

What a camera!

Two freezes in one hour this past week-end. New version batteries in body and grip. Started happening when I inserted/formatted two Sandisk 128GB, 95MB/s cards in the slots. No crashes until then (was using Sandisk 64GB in Slot 1 and 16GB in Slot 2, 95MB/s both). Will return to the lower capacity cards and see what happens. 

Well this certainly hasn't been happening to everyone, so that's a good thing.  But sucks that it happens at all.

I had another wedding on the weekend with the XT2 and the only thing that was different this time was I had the vertical battery grip installed as I just picked it up.  I always shot AF-S and in most cases just single point, but in some cases, multi-point.  Had same 3 batteries in the camera all day (two Fuji and one Watson).  I think the two Fuji I had in it were from my XT1.

Slot 1 is 64Gig Sandisk and Slot 1 is 32Gig Sandisk.  Both 95mb/s.  Slot 1 is compressed RAW + video, Slot 2 is medium quality JPG.  I always format them in the camera before a shoot.

On this body one body at this one wedding ... over 10+hrs, I shoot approx 900 images and 25min of 1080p 30fps video (some hand held, other video on a tripod with a boom mic).

I had zero freezes that day and zero since purchasing the camera (got it day of release).  Am I lucky?  Maybe.  I hope this issue is resolved for everyone with the anticipated first firmware release.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

Hey folks, I think I've uncovered the root of this freezing issue, and I don't think it's the cards or the batteries. First, I'll give you my conclusion and then I'll go through how I arrived at my opinion in case you want to examine by bro science. LOL  My conclusion: the freezing is caused by power-on and wake-up activity being incomplete. That is to say that the only time I can get my X-T2 to freeze in testing is when it is coming out of powersave mode (waking up) or when I have just turned it on.

I bought my X-T2 brand new the first week of shipping. I got the kit with the 18-55, three NP-W126 batteries, the vertical grip and a 35f2 lens. It started freezing on me when I was shooting street type stuff, which I typically do without the battery grip, with either my 35f2 or 18f2 lens and usually in continuous (CL) mode and electronic shutter (ES). The card in slot 1 is a Sandisk 32GB Extreme Plus HC1 U3 Class 10. 

To remove variables I did all of the following, trying to replicate the freezing problem:

- Captured to Slot 1 and Slot 2, moving the card to keep that consistent.

- Captured to Slot 1 and Slot 2 using a slower card (Kingston 32GB Class 10 U1) to see if that could be an issue. 

- Varied the shutter speeds and aperture and ISO settings.

- Varied the drive modes and shutter type (ES, MS, CH, CL S etc)

- Shot with and without the vertical grip. 

- Shot with different batteries in the camera (when shooting without the grip)

- Shot with a low battery and a full battery and with Boost mode on and off. 

- Shot with different lenses (I know, shouldn't matter, but they do interact with the camera during capture)

- Shot with different power management modes and shot when camera was fully "awake" and then it was waking up or powering up. 

Results: This is of course my non-expert, non-scientific opinion but I'm convinced that the only time the X-T2 freezes (at least my sample) is when it has just been powered up (like, in the first 1-3 seconds) or when it is in the midst of coming out of powersave mode--again the first 1-3 seconds approximately. I could not get the X-T2 to freeze or lock up on me when it was fully powered on/woken up for at least 4-5 sec.

When I think about this in the context of my shooting, it fits. When I'm on the street I'll often have the camera powered off, or it has gone into powersave mode. I suddenly see "a decisive moment" :-) and all in one swift motion, pull the camera up, flipping the power on or tapping the shutter release as I go, and begin capturing. I realize now that this happens in just 1 to 2 seconds sometimes and I believe this simply does not provide the camera enough time to be fully operational and so it freezes. Whether it's hardware or software I can't say, but the X-T2 needs a few seconds to get going. Once it's going however it captures perfectly in any mode with no issues whatsoever--again, my experience with my copy. 

About cards: I've seen some suggestions that not having the recommended card in slot 1 or not having fast enough cards is causing this freezing issue. Based on my testing, I would have to disagree. The only difference I noticed between my two cards is the length of time the light is flashing (and I'm waiting) while the camera is writing to the card after a burst of captures. I'm all for faster cards, don't get me wrong. I just don't think cards are causing the freezing issue. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, all digital cameras buffer to some sort of hardware memory first, and then write to the storage media. If this is true, then the camera is not even interacting with the card during capture. 

My advice: If you shoot street, any kind of event, sports or anything requiring quick reaction/response: 1. Leave the camera powered ON, and 2. Set the power management options in your settings to OFF. If battery life is your concern, get the battery grip or get some more batteries. I also set the EVF to eye sensor mode which can help conserve some battery depending on how you hold and carry your X-T2.

Hope this helps!

Rennie

Hey folks, I think I've uncovered the root of this freezing issue, and I don't think it's the cards or the batteries. First, I'll give you my conclusion and then I'll go through how I arrived at my opinion in case you want to examine by bro science. LOL My conclusion: the freezing is caused by power-on and wake-up activity being incomplete. That is to say that the only time I can get my X-T2 to freeze in testing is when it is coming out of powersave mode (waking up) or when I have just turned it on.

I bought my X-T2 brand new the first week of shipping. I got the kit with the 18-55, three NP-W126 batteries, the vertical grip and a 35f2 lens. It started freezing on me when I was shooting street type stuff, which I typically do without the battery grip, with either my 35f2 or 18f2 lens and usually in continuous (CL) mode and electronic shutter (ES). The card in slot 1 is a Sandisk 32GB Extreme Plus HC1 U3 Class 10.

To remove variables I did all of the following, trying to replicate the freezing problem:

- Captured to Slot 1 and Slot 2, moving the card to keep that consistent.

- Captured to Slot 1 and Slot 2 using a slower card (Kingston 32GB Class 10 U1) to see if that could be an issue.

- Varied the shutter speeds and aperture and ISO settings.

- Varied the drive modes and shutter type (ES, MS, CH, CL S etc)

- Shot with and without the vertical grip.

- Shot with different batteries in the camera (when shooting without the grip)

- Shot with a low battery and a full battery and with Boost mode on and off.

- Shot with different lenses (I know, shouldn't matter, but they do interact with the camera during capture)

- Shot with different power management modes and shot when camera was fully "awake" and then it was waking up or powering up.

Results: This is of course my non-expert, non-scientific opinion but I'm convinced that the only time the X-T2 freezes (at least my sample) is when it has just been powered up (like, in the first 1-3 seconds) or when it is in the midst of coming out of powersave mode--again the first 1-3 seconds approximately. I could not get the X-T2 to freeze or lock up on me when it was fully powered on/woken up for at least 4-5 sec.

When I think about this in the context of my shooting, it fits. When I'm on the street I'll often have the camera powered off, or it has gone into powersave mode. I suddenly see "a decisive moment" :-) and all in one swift motion, pull the camera up, flipping the power on or tapping the shutter release as I go, and begin capturing. I realize now that this happens in just 1 to 2 seconds sometimes and I believe this simply does not provide the camera enough time to be fully operational and so it freezes. Whether it's hardware or software I can't say, but the X-T2 needs a few seconds to get going. Once it's going however it captures perfectly in any mode with no issues whatsoever--again, my experience with my copy.

About cards: I've seen some suggestions that not having the recommended card in slot 1 or not having fast enough cards is causing this freezing issue. Based on my testing, I would have to disagree. The only difference I noticed between my two cards is the length of time the light is flashing (and I'm waiting) while the camera is writing to the card after a burst of captures. I'm all for faster cards, don't get me wrong. I just don't think cards are causing the freezing issue. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, all digital cameras buffer to some sort of hardware memory first, and then write to the storage media. If this is true, then the camera is not even interacting with the card during capture.

My advice: If you shoot street, any kind of event, sports or anything requiring quick reaction/response: 1. Leave the camera powered ON, and 2. Set the power management options in your settings to OFF. If battery life is your concern, get the battery grip or get some more batteries. I also set the EVF to eye sensor mode which can help conserve some battery depending on how you hold and carry your X-T2.

Hope this helps!

Rennie

Rennie,

I think you're completely right!

I've had the same issue you described happen intermittently a few times before but not enough to really irritate me. Today it happened 5 or 6 times during a shoot. I spent an hour messing with the camera tonight trying to recreate the problem with no luck at all. After reading your post I tried shooting immediately after turning the camera on and the issue happened right away. I tried it several more times and the same thing happened. The EVF freezes, shows the last picture taken and won't respond to any controls until the battery is pulled. I got in the habit of turning my XT1 off between photos to save power (which really helps a lot with that camera). I guess I can't do that with the XT2 until Fuji fixes this issue.

I registered just to post in this thread and thank you. No, the issue isn't fixed but at least now I know what's causing it so I can try to avoid it. That's a huge help! I shoot for a living and I've come to really depend on my Fuji cameras. Not knowing why it was freezing was starting to make me nervous about using the camera for a professional shoot.

Where is the best place to report this issue to Fuji to make sure they know about it?

Edited by RM_Photog

Nevermind, that may not be the only cause. I had two shoots today, one indoors and one outdoors. On the first shoot the camera didn't freeze at all so I thought all was well. I was making sure I gave the camera plenty of time to "wake up". On the second shoot the camera started freezing within the first 15 or 20 photos and kept happening until I switched shooting modes. Again, I was giving the camera plenty of time to wake up. I switched to either single shot, or continuous high and the problem went away on both of those modes. It only seems to happen on continuous low, which is where I like to shoot the most for subjects that move or blink. I end up with way too many photos for my needs on continuous high. 

I love my XT2 but this problem is starting to get really irritating as it becomes more frequent. When I pull the battery, the frozen photo in the EVF is lost. I'm hoping this is one of the bugs that will be fixed in the new firmware update! 

Can you test setting the FPS of continuous low to another value?

It kind of makes sense that when using a burst mode that if there is a software glitch, it would show up then.  Either continuous focusing or burst shooting.  I don't use either so I have not experienced this problem (fortunately).  I'm a single shot, single focus point shooter (primarily).

Can you test setting the FPS of continuous low to another value?

It kind of makes sense that when using a burst mode that if there is a software glitch, it would show up then.  Either continuous focusing or burst shooting.  I don't use either so I have not experienced this problem (fortunately).  I'm a single shot, single focus point shooter (primarily).

Good idea, I'll try that out next time I have the issue. It doesn't show up every time I shoot in continuous low which is what's confusing about it. But so far, continuous low is the only place I've seen the issue. It happens in both AFC and AFS mode.

If I'm doing portraits or shooting anything static, I use single shot. But for groups of people or if there's kids involved (especially outdoors), then I like shooting on continuous low in short bursts of 2 to 4 shots. 5fps is the sweet spot for me. 4fps is a little slow, but I'll give it a try to see if the issue is present there also. 

Just had another instance of freezing. Trying to connect wifi to use PC auto save. When looking for the router automatically and then again doing manual setup at the point of connection to router. Everytime it freezes. Looks like many others have the same issue.  My only thought is Fuji has released the camera knowing it is not complete. The firmware release on Nov 8 may fix some of these issues. I was shocked to learn I can not tether the XT2 yet. We had this ability in the XT1 but not the XT2 until Nov 8th. I hope the other issues like PC auto save are fixed soon.

On the up side, I have not had other freezing while shooting since using 2 Lexar UHSii cards of the same size and speed.

John 

Freezes on both of my X-T2 bodies ongoing while Face/Eye detection is on. Once I with that off the freezing stops. Already called fuji support to report this.

I would suggest people having freezing probs to report their probs so it can be hopefully fixed soon 1-800-800-3854 

Freezes on both of my X-T2 bodies ongoing while Face/Eye detection is on. Once I with that off the freezing stops. Already called fuji support to report this.

I would suggest people having freezing probs to report their probs so it can be hopefully fixed soon 1-800-800-3854 

Thanks for posting the number.

I called Fujifilm and spoke to a service tech who seemed pretty knowledgeable and friendly. He said because I can reproduce the issue, it sounds like it has an electrical problem and the camera would have to be sent to Fujifilm to be repaired. He said it's hard to tell without having the camera there, but it could be a loose connection or an electrical board that needs to be replaced. It could also have something to do with the mode selector since it only happens on continuous low. 

I have too many jobs booked right now and won't be able to send it back until at least the 15th. The new firmware is hopefully coming out before then so I'll see if that makes a difference first. 

I think its the card.

I have only Fuji batteries, I have 1 that came with camera and 2x Fuji X-T1 style batteries so mix of old and new. I use 2x Sandisk Ultra 295MB card, both formated in camera after everytime I download pictures or video.

I have not had a single lock up.

Has anyone noticed what the aperture reading is when its locked? Back in the day the X-T1 would lock if the lens was not seated properly or got a knock and you would see F0 as your aperture reading. Just wandering if its an old issue re-surfacing.

G

I think its the card.

I have only Fuji batteries, I have 1 that came with camera and 2x Fuji X-T1 style batteries so mix of old and new. I use 2x Sandisk Ultra 295MB card, both formated in camera after everytime I download pictures or video.

I have not had a single lock up.

Has anyone noticed what the aperture reading is when its locked? Back in the day the X-T1 would lock if the lens was not seated properly or got a knock and you would see F0 as your aperture reading. Just wandering if its an old issue re-surfacing.

G

It's not the cards, I use the same and I have had the freezing couple of times, also when not taking pictures.