X-T2 Freezes

paulcory

Just figured I would chime in as another who has had freezing issues.  Using the official batteries, with the battery grip/without, it will randomly freeze (either in the EVF or the LCD depending on how I was shooting) and require a battery pull.  I've been using the Lexar 1000x cards, but have a pair of Transcend 32GB Class 10 SDHC UHS-II on order to try them out and see how it goes.  I e-mailed Fuji on Saturday and just heard back today, asking me to call the 1-800 number, which I will do when I return home from work.

Hopefully something that can be sorted out in Firmware, as I otherwise love the new body, and can't wait to get out to Carmel next month to shoot for a while with it.

Just figured I would chime in as another who has had freezing issues.  Using the official batteries, with the battery grip/without, it will randomly freeze (either in the EVF or the LCD depending on how I was shooting) and require a battery pull.  I've been using the Lexar 1000x cards, but have a pair of Transcend 32GB Class 10 SDHC UHS-II on order to try them out and see how it goes.  I e-mailed Fuji on Saturday and just heard back today, asking me to call the 1-800 number, which I will do when I return home from work.

Hopefully something that can be sorted out in Firmware, as I otherwise love the new body, and can't wait to get out to Carmel next month to shoot for a while with it.

If it is a firmware problem I'm confident Fuji will sort it with an update, it's what they do best but I'm not so confident it's attributed to just Lexar cards, despite all I've read.

It's the only issue I have with the X-T2 and I love it too, marvellous bit of kit. I had the X-T1 and sold it for the Nikon DF then D810 but always thought I'd return some day :)

I had that happen with my X-T1. I figured out it was when I used 3rd party batteries in the battery grip - mine were DigiPower, the Best Buy brand. The only think I didn't try was using two 3rd party batteries - I always had tried it with a Fuji battery in the X-T1, and a 3rd party in the grip.

I got a couple extra Fuji batteries, so I always use OEM batteries when I'm using my X-T1 with a grip, and with the non-gripped X-T1 or my X-E2, I don't worry about which batteries I use.

My technical background is kicking in reading this thread.  I do problem solving and I see a trend with this thread and other threads I have read.  What I see is that some have the problem and some don't.  The trend I see most is that the users having a problem are those using mixed cards.  That is "one fast card and one slower card" or "one large card and one smaller" AND the setting is to write to both cards at the same time, either as back up or something else.

I am wondering if writing to two different cards, especially with two different write speeds at the same time was not programmed for.  This is the type of thing programmers usually miss - that is a user doing something creative :) and not expected.  This would be easy to test.  I am just curious.

My technical background is kicking in reading this thread.  I do problem solving and I see a trend with this thread and other threads I have read.  What I see is that some have the problem and some don't.  The trend I see most is that the users having a problem are those using mixed cards.  That is "one fast card and one slower card" or "one large card and one smaller" AND the setting is to write to both cards at the same time, either as back up or something else.

I am wondering if writing to two different cards, especially with two different write speeds at the same time was not programmed for.  This is the type of thing programmers usually miss - that is a user doing something creative :) and not expected.  This would be easy to test.  I am just curious.

I'm using 2 x 32GB x2000 Lexar cards in slot 1/2 so that's not the problem with mine.

Pete

I'll add another instance of this happening on my X-T2.  I'm using a Lexar 1000x 64GB card. I see the freeze for about 10-15 seconds while in playback mode moving between images.  I'll see just the filename first, then the rest of the image metadata will show up after it unfreezes.  The entire camera is unresponsive while it is frozen. I cannot switch modes, enter menus, nothing.  

I'm only shooting with the one Lexar card in slot 1.  The card was formatted in camera. 

Fortunately, so far I have not had the freezing issue with my new XT2.  I have shot 3 weddings with it so far (1/2 images shot on XT1 and 1/2 on XT2).  But the 3rd wedding I intentionally favored the XT2 so I shot almost 75% on it.

When I shot Nikon and with the XT2, I always put two identical cards in the two slots.  I have always used Sandisk.  The first 2 weddings I had two 32Gig Sandisk 95mb/s cards (one for RAW, one for medium JPG and I had video going to slot 2).  The 3rd wedding I purchased a 64Gig Sandisk 95mb/s and shot the 3rd wedding with the 64Gig in slot 1 and the 32Gig in slot 2 (and changed the camera to put video on slot 1).  Even though the sizes were different, make and speed were the same.  

I was always using single shot mode, not burst.  My cameras firmware is 1.0

No issues thus far.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

I am also using two identical cards in the slots (RAW to Slot 1, JPEG to 2)

I had this issue as well. During/ after burst mode camera stopped working and I had to put off the battery. I had no battery grip. It was on a wedding (happened 2-3 times) and it was very uncomfortable. I rarely use burst mode and otherwise it worked whole day perfectly. Actually for the first time I brought home more photos from Fuji than from Canon. It was such a pleasure to use ;-)) but please fix this.

Happened twice now. The first time I couldn't even turn the camera off, and an image was stuck on the screen. I popped the battery out for a minute and it reset.

Fuji says there may be a problem with Lexar cards, and directed me to software for formatting them on a laptop before using them in an XT2.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I've done that, so now we will see if it happens again. Hope not! Missed a critical shot on set because of it.

Here's a link re card compatibility:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/compatibility/card/x/

If it's not the cards (and it may be) then I think it's a firmware glitch which can be fixed with an update.

The problem has never happened with my X-Pro2.

I LOVE my X-T2. It's the body I use it the most for work (stills photographer). If this gets resolved, I'm buying a second.

I have also had a few freezes. My idea is that it has nothing to do with the batteries or the cards (unless you get a ‘card error’ of course) but with the latest firmware release. I never had any freezes with previous firmware releases, only with the latest one, while using Fuji batteries and Sandisk cards.

A firmware related freeze is by no means a strange phenomenon as it controls the FPGA timing as well as state machine coding (how to handle undefined states and what to do when the software mistakenly jumps to it).

To me chances of a software bug are much more likely then a battery or card related issue. In order to get things more clear how about mentioning your firmware release as well? That just might give a lead to the root cause of failure….

I have also had a few freezes. My idea is that it has nothing to do with the batteries or the cards (unless you get a ‘card error’ of course) but with the latest firmware release. I never had any freezes with previous firmware releases, only with the latest one, while using Fuji batteries and Sandisk cards.

A firmware related freeze is by no means a strange phenomenon as it controls the FPGA timing as well as state machine coding (how to handle undefined states and what to do when the software mistakenly jumps to it).

To me chances of a software bug are much more likely then a battery or card related issue. In order to get things more clear how about mentioning your firmware release as well? That just might give a lead to the root cause of failure….

All X-T2's are on firmware 1.00, there has been no updates but I agree, I to think it's a glitch in the firmware.

Doing some more testing this evening, even formatted my cards with SDFormatter as posted by Puma Cat but still got an error pop up.

I must confirm that I only get errors upon trying to view the pictures, I don't suffer any lockups or freezes during shooting. If I were more patient and waited a few seconds more before trying to view the pictures I'd just shot I think all would be ok but once the error shows it stays, only on slot 1, I then turn the camera off and on and all's ok.

Tested in raw/fine and just fine and the same problem in slot 1 so it's not the larger raw data files causing the problem as originally thought.

Just wanted to through my experience into the mix. While shooting a wedding I had freezes. I could not turn the camera off or anything else. Removing the grip batteries worked once and the other 2 times I had to remove the battery from the body as well.  The cards were delkin 32GB one is UHS2 and the other is UHS1/2. Not sure which was in slot 1 or 2.  Fuji battery in body and 3rd party in grip.  I've been using Fuji and 3rd party with my XT1 with no issues so I figured there wouldn't be with the XT2. 

I tested at home with just one card, a Delkin 16GB UHS2 and couldn't make it freeze.  When I used different cards (speed) I got freezing pretty quickly. With 40MBs sandisk cards I got freezes in just a few shots.  This was shooting RAW and Fine jpg. Shooting video seems to work fine. I had no issues there. All issues I had were while shooting not viewing images.

I did test with boost and no boost.  Didn't seem to matter. Freezing happened either way.

I'm guessing it's a disimular card issue that could be solved with a firmware upgrade.  Shooting one card may solve it until Fuji sends a firmware upgrade. I use these cameras professionaly so this is a big issue for me. Love the XT2 even more than the XT1 but I can't have a frozen camera.

John

I've had a couple of minor freezes in both my X-T2 bodies using both SanDisk UHS-I Extreme Pro 95mb/s cards and Lexar UHS-II 2000x cards (at different times). My cameras are both gripped and I use the Fuji branded batteries - "S" varieties. I notice the freezes when I'm shooting in low burst mode and switch viewfinder modes quickly from EVF only to LCD, then back to EVF.

I also notice the cameras have difficulty waking up from sleep mode. Several half and full presses of the shutter don't wake the camera up, even after 3-4 seconds per press. I pull the battery tray from the grip and then it wakes up when I turn back on. 

I too have found waking the camera up from sleep sometimes takes too long, or I have to press the shutter button a couple of times to wake it up.  Odd.

I've had a couple of minor freezes in both my X-T2 bodies using both SanDisk UHS-I Extreme Pro 95mb/s cards and Lexar UHS-II 2000x cards (at different times). My cameras are both gripped and I use the Fuji branded batteries - "S" varieties. I notice the freezes when I'm shooting in low burst mode and switch viewfinder modes quickly from EVF only to LCD, then back to EVF.

I also notice the cameras have difficulty waking up from sleep mode. Several half and full presses of the shutter don't wake the camera up, even after 3-4 seconds per press. I pull the battery tray from the grip and then it wakes up when I turn back on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that  I shot a bunch over a weekend while in London for work (With the 27/2.8 pancake as I didn't have much time to shoot or room in my bag to get more lenses).  Had 0 freezes with the Transcend cards, so perhaps there is just some minor compatibility issues that can be fixed in firmware updates.  I must say I am blown away by the detail the camera can capture.

I only have freeze problems in my X-T2 if i use the  Lexar 1000X 64 GB "UHS-II"  card , every time i use it the camera freezes , so i change for my old thrust  SanDisk UHS-I Extreme Pro 95mb/s card and no issues for the last 3 weeks , no more freezes . So I´m using the Lexar 1000X 64 GB "UHS-II"  card on the X-T1 and had no freezes too , so I´m think is a problem with this Lexar 1000X  on the X-T2.