XT-2 - with grip - First Impressions

deva

Just picked up my X-T2 (1 of 2 on order) along with the battery grip. Got it ready to go with the grip. Here are my first impressions mainly of ergonimics

Overall, I like the new ergonomics. Mostly an improvement over the X-T1... mostly because I have one immediate complaint. I am finding it hard to turn the Drive Dial. On the X-T1 the ISO dial was a smaller diameter than the Drive Dial and so the Drive Dial stuck out more and was easy to turn. On the X-T2 I have to press harder with my finger, or reach my fingernail around to hook it to turn it. It is definitely an annoyance and besides being harder, it is harder to be sure to get the setting I want. The Drive Dial knob should stick out just a smidge further. I hope the dial will loosen just a bit with use.

I much prefer the position of the image preview button on the X-Pro2. It is right under the thumb and I can quickly check a shot I just took without moving my hands. I also distinctly prefer the 4 selector buttons on the X-Pro2 over the new version on the XT-2. The XT-2 is better than the XT-1 but not as easy and sure as the X-Pro2. I wish Fuji had just used the X-Pro2 part. It is  more refined and effective. I do like the new position of the 'Q' button better than both the X-T1 and X-Pro2

Regarding the grip... Right off, I'm ambivalent about it. I think it is heavier and bigger than it needs to be. The 2 batteries take up only a small portion of the grip volume. Are there really that many electronics etc in there taking up all that space?

It is easy to hold in a vertical position and the extra shutter and other controls are handy. However, in the regular landscape position, the grip pushes up on my pinky and third finger. On the XT-1, my pinky usually rests under the camera because it is not a tall camera. Feels secure and comfortable in the hand. With the X-T2 and grip my pinky has no comfortable place to rest and the camera feels a bit less secure with one less finger holding it.

My impressions is Fuji did not put enough work into the grip. It just feels like a big block with not enough thought given to the ergonomics and shape and weight in relation to the size of the camera. There are a few tiny things that could be better. For example, the little rubber cover for the headphones opens front to back. It would be easier if it opened back to front which would also match the HDMI door right above it on the camera. Also, and maybe this is a subjective thing, but when I hold the grip in the vertical position, my forefinger does not fall right on the vertical shutter button. I have to bend my finger back in a very slightly uncomfortable position to rest on the shutter. 

I really want the 3 batteries so I'm going to put in the effort to get comfortable with the grip, but it does not immediately fall to hand and feel right... and I think it could. 

Been doing some casual shooting with the X-T2. I've got the grip and all 3 batteries.

I've been enjoying shooting with the X-Pro2 these past months. The X-Pro2 was significantly faster than the X-T1 for blackout, on/off, etc. so it became my primary camera. The EVF in the X-T2 is much nicer than the EVF in the X-Pro2... bigger screen, bigger text, better color. 

Right from purchase I've been annoyed by the bluish cast to the X-Pro2 EVF. The X-T2 EVF has good color! I'm completely happy with it. I have been doing various custom WB readings. Today is a drizzly completely grey overcast day. With the custom WB reading set, I look through the EVF and then the scene and back and forth. They are remarkably the same. The X-T2 EVF is fantastic! 

The 'Q' button on the X-T2 is well placed. The X-Pro2 'Q' button is a bit oddly placed for use while shooting since it is on the grip and it has to be flush to avoid accidentally pressing it. As I mentioned above, the X-T2 Drive dial is hard to turn. I am finding the Metering Dial even harder to turn. I'm unable with my right forefinger to turn it. I have to reach my left forefinger across the camera and hook it with my nail. Again, I hope it loosens slightly with use. 

The AE-L button is not as easy to reach for me as it was on the X-T1. On the X-T1 both the AE-L and AF-L buttons stuck out ever so slightly more than on the X-T2 so they were a bit easier to feel and press.

As with all these things, my hands start adjusting without even thinking about it.

The X-T2 is a well made camera!

Dumb question but I'm a newbie with the any x system..on the vertical grip what is the switch dial on the shutter button...it looks like a power switch with the white dot and then it has a setting of lock...is that a power switch?

It's to lock the shutter button to avoid inadvertently taking a shot. The X-T1 had the same lock system.

I don't mind the grip. It is bigger than it needs to be, but the hand feeling and tactile improvement is very good. That said, it will stay off the camera most of the time and be used for specific tasks as needed. 

EVF on the Xt2 is superb. For manual shooting I use the focus peaking highlights plus the Acros simulation and I can move faster in that set up, manually, than I can use auto functions on other cameras. And that's in low light, too. That EVF just makes it unbelievably easy to do. 

AF performed equal to or greater than the Canon 5DM3 that I tested it against. That really surprised me. 

Biggest drawback I've found is the auto brightness on the EVF is not well implemented. Anything that does "Auto" like that should be completely unnoticeable-- you should forget it's even there. Not so with this one. It is often inaccurate, clumsy, and over-eagerly gets too dim. So I just turned that feature off and it's great. But it could have been done much, much better. 

I have vertical grip on order.  I shoot weddings and I find it a necessity.  However, when not shooting a wedding, I don't have it on the XT1's I currently own.  

I really like the smaller add-on metal hand grip as it makes the body very comfortable to hold in my average adult male hand.  I have one for both my XT1 and just picked up one for my new XT2 and leave them on the bodies.  It is way over priced and have read there are good, cheap knock-off's ... 

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

I don't mind the grip. It is bigger than it needs to be, but the hand feeling and tactile improvement is very good. That said, it will stay off the camera most of the time and be used for specific tasks as needed. 

EVF on the Xt2 is superb. For manual shooting I use the focus peaking highlights plus the Acros simulation and I can move faster in that set up, manually, than I can use auto functions on other cameras. And that's in low light, too. That EVF just makes it unbelievably easy to do. 

AF performed equal to or greater than the Canon 5DM3 that I tested it against. That really surprised me. 

Biggest drawback I've found is the auto brightness on the EVF is not well implemented. Anything that does "Auto" like that should be completely unnoticeable-- you should forget it's even there. Not so with this one. It is often inaccurate, clumsy, and over-eagerly gets too dim. So I just turned that feature off and it's great. But it could have been done much, much better. 

If you like manually focussing, check out lens tabs at http://www.lenstab.com/

I have them on all lenses that don't have a big chunky focus ring, like the 35 f2. Works great.