Fuji X Wedding Photography Chat

abjurina

The OIS would help with shutter speeds of about 1/125-1/15 but you'd probably need to stop down to f/11 or f/16... that's too much to handle without a tripod, at least if you want a good quality at lower ISOs out of the shots.

This depends on the lightning. It should be enough if you can use reflected sunlight.

This is my Fuji gear.

- X-T1 with BG

- X-T1 GS

- X-T10 (fantastic...little but very very powerful. I'm fall in love for this camera!!!)

- X-100T

- 12mm Samyang

- 16mm Fujinon

- 23mm Fujinon

- 35mm Fujinon

- 56mm Fujinon

- 90mm Fujinon

- 50-140mm Fujinon

I come from a very good kit Nikon (D810, D750 and many lenses), but I dropped everything for the wonderful system Fujifilm. Starting in 2012 with an X-Pro1 (I'd like to get back, having also the excellent discounts at this time ... we'll see ...).

I can not tell which lens prefer among all ... each can find their "raison d'etre" for a wedding, but I would say the ones I use the most are the 16, 35 and 56. The 90 has just arrived and I have not yet "tested" in the field.

Sorry for my poor english...i'm italian... ;):)

Ciao

Umberto

I used to shoot weddings on occasion and would not dream of using my Fuji gear for one at this point unfortunately. Maybe as a backup 3rd body to use when the 2nd slr isn't needed. I am very much a less is more person, but I don't see how I could come up with a kit that would do the job. When it is a day of this magnitude I would only use an SLR (canon/nikon) - there is nothing faster still. 

I got married last year. If the photographer we hired showed up with Fuji stuff I would have sent them packing. That sounds harsh but having been on the other side of the situation and knowing the type of photography we preferred it just would not have been the best tool for the job.

That said, we hired photographers who shoot with a decidedly photojournalist style (and that used to be my 2nd shooters), and so I know they wouldn't have done that anyways. I guess if you're going for the more traditional portraits, details etc it could be fine.

I love my Fuji stuff, but you're definitely missing moments with it, especially moments in low light that are fast moving - at least as it is now. If this ever changes I will get rid of my Nikon stuff. I haven't seen anyone do reportage with it as well yet. 

I can't believe i just read that! 

Got the official 11mm Fuji extension tube. Decided that I wanted the OIS on my lenses to work when I needed it, plus guaranteed functionality with my lenses. Sure, I could have saved some money, but there's a lot to be said for peace-of-mind with your equipment.

Shameless self-promotion: I was just featured on Junebug Weddings with a photo spotlight interview and gallery. It's relevant to this forum in that I mention the role of the Fujifilm X-Series camera and lenses in my work. 

http://junebugweddings.com/wedding-photo-blog/photobug/photographer-spotlight-interview-bradley-hanson-minnesota/

Once a Canon man but now moved to Fuji. Not that there is anything wrong with Canon its more of a weight issue.

My gear for a wedding would consist of:

X-T1, X Pro 1, 14mm, 35mm, 56mm, 18-55mm

Yongnuo Flash & Triggers

Pixapro Portable flash

I am considering the 50-140mm lens for the future.

Anybody out there try using manual focus for weddings? Particularly receptions? I'm trying to find a better way to achieve better focus when the lights go really low. Even with a flash, I'm not getting focus-assist with the fuji, so I'm wondering if anyone else has tried manual focusing at all and in particular, using perhaps a 3rd party lens to do it? Anyone?

Anybody out there try using manual focus for weddings? Particularly receptions? I'm trying to find a better way to achieve better focus when the lights go really low. Even with a flash, I'm not getting focus-assist with the fuji, so I'm wondering if anyone else has tried manual focusing at all and in particular, using perhaps a 3rd party lens to do it? Anyone?

This is why I don't think the Fuji's are the best tools for these situations. MF can work if you're very well practiced at it, but I don't think it's very efficient with the EVF. The real solution here is to take your losses if you won't fathom another tool, or use a canon/nikon and get more keepers. That's just how it is at the moment. 

Another post without proper testing and knowledge by peterh. Raise your hand if you're not surprised...

MF works pretty well with the focus clutch lenses and the zooms. I wouldn't try it on the 35 1.4 and longer as the focal length+aperture combo provides a thin DOF, so hard to achieve fast manual focus. I use manual focus with 16/23 for dancing and it's quite easy. The EVF with focus peaking is an enormous help in these situations.

That being said, I use autofocus even in very low light with 16-55 and 35 and since firmware 4.0, the 35 is really really quick to focus, even in very low light.

How low light are we talking abjurina? The 35 did well at 6400, 1.4, 1/60 which is pretty much the maximum I needed thus far.

The last wedding I did I was getting poor response from my wider 18-55 at 2.8. I switched to the 35 1.4 and was able to get results at the EXACT settings that you mentioned: 1.4 at 6400 ISO 1/60th. However, I prefer a little more width like I was getting from my 18-55 at 18. Trying to determine if I could get away with manual focus for the dance shots and if it warrants perhaps purchasing a manual focus wide angle, like the rokinon 12mm for this.

The last wedding I did I was getting poor response from my wider 18-55 at 2.8. I switched to the 35 1.4 and was able to get results at the EXACT settings that you mentioned: 1.4 at 6400 ISO 1/60th. However, I prefer a little more width like I was getting from my 18-55 at 18. Trying to determine if I could get away with manual focus for the dance shots and if it warrants perhaps purchasing a manual focus wide angle, like the rokinon 12mm for this.

If you earn money with your camera gear, that pretty much warrants the XF 16/1.4.

When the lights are dim and it's "party dancing" time I primarily use manual focus, albeit in a zone-focus type of way. But that works great for that time of the night. I primarily use the 18mm f/2 for that because it's light and wide.

I think that manual focus works very well with the Fuji X-T1.  I'd play around with your settings a little more.  For peaking, I find white or red is easier for me to use, but I actually prefer the digital split image when in manual more.  The problem with peaking at really wide open is your depth is so narrow that it's sometimes hard to spot what exactly is in focus.  Wide open I do find that the split image works better for me.  Stop it down, and I absolutely love peaking.

Shot some with the 16 at the Drink and Click last night and I absolutely love that lens.  Incredibly sharp and very snappy.  It's big, but lovely piece of glass.

Another post without proper testing and knowledge by peterh. Raise your hand if you're not surprised...

MF works pretty well with the focus clutch lenses and the zooms. I wouldn't try it on the 35 1.4 and longer as the focal length+aperture combo provides a thin DOF, so hard to achieve fast manual focus. I use manual focus with 16/23 for dancing and it's quite easy. The EVF with focus peaking is an enormous help in these situations.

That being said, I use autofocus even in very low light with 16-55 and 35 and since firmware 4.0, the 35 is really really quick to focus, even in very low light.

How low light are we talking abjurina? The 35 did well at 6400, 1.4, 1/60 which is pretty much the maximum I needed thus far.

It's pretty silly to resort to personal attacks when talking about cameras. And where did I say I have never used the tools described? Because I have, and those are my conclusions. Just because I don't own a tool doesn't mean I have no experience with it.

And what if you want to shoot low light with a 35 or 56mm lens at 1.4 or 1.2? I still think you'd have better luck using a 50/85 and the AF on a dSLR. That's my experience. You can choose to think whatever you want but when someone is paying you upwards of 3-5 grand for pics of this day why would you chance it? The poster asked, and I gave my opinion.  

As much as I can respect an opinion on dslr vs mirrorless, my initial question did not ask about whether the camera was a good option, I am inquiring as to whether a wide prime would be an adequate low-light performer for reception shots. I've shot plenty of mirrorless-only weddings and my gear has not failed me. I'm just looking to improve my results and workflow. A dslr is NOT my preference anymore.

I have not found that on-camera manual bounce has given me good results with the Fujis. Plus, I don't like the weight of such a large flash added onto my camera. The Yongnuos are almost the same size as the camera!

Anybody else?

I used a YN-460 on my X-T1 (with the grip) on Saturday and got pretty good results. For on-camera with Fujis, though, the Nissin i40 is the best choice right now. I'm trying to decide between picking up a Nissin and waiting to see what Fuji releases, if it ever happens.

If the ceiling is even and white enough, I like using an on-camera bounce, but normally I just do direct flash and go for that specific look, instead. It's not very versatile, but it's consistent and predictable.

20660551769_bc250e6774_c.jpgDSCF0607 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr