X-T10 discontinued..... roll on X-T20

Tikcus

So the X-T10 is discontinued, I hope this means sooner rather than later we will get an X-T20; However, it could also mean that Fujifilm believe they now have enough in the channel to satisfy demand until a replacment is available next year, and if they run out, there is always the (technically) similar X-E2s which will still be available.

There is also the possibility (although I hope not) that an X-T10s is about to be announced with small improvements aka X-E2s which was released alongside the X-Pro2

However if an X-T20 is released I hope for the following

X-Trans 3 sensor /Pro processor

Same autofocus points as X-T2

UHS-II SD-Card port (1 port will do)

Tilt screen

Price sub £600

edit

ISO Dial

Edited by Tikcus

But I think Fuji may have considered if they really need the X-T10 and the X-E2S?

Both are really in the same market segment.

I would prefer an X-E3

Isn't it the same as having both the X-Pro2 and the X-T2?  Fuji seems committed to having both rangefinder and slr styled cameras.

Olympus does the same thing and it seems to be working for both companies.  Honestly, I find it a little surprising that the market for rangefinder style cameras is as large as it is.  A lot more people prefer them than I would have guessed.

So the X-T10 is discontinued, I hope this means sooner rather than later we will get an X-T20

There is also the possibility (although I hope not) that an X-T10s

I doubt that either one is the case. Most likely, Fujifilm needed to put their Thailand production line to work making the X-A3. And they likely already had enough X-T10 units stockpiled in their warehouses to last them a year or more.

When they're done producing X-A3 units, then maybe we'll see something else produced in Thailand.

Isn't it the same as having both the X-Pro2 and the X-T2?  Fuji seems committed to having both rangefinder and slr styled cameras.

Olympus does the same thing and it seems to be working for both companies.  Honestly, I find it a little surprising that the market for rangefinder style cameras is as large as it is.  A lot more people prefer them than I would have guessed.

I guess you are right, but I still think it's odd that many of the major manufacturers produce essentially the same camera in two different 'styles'.  We can have a pretend SLR with mock prism, or a pretend Leica.  I'd prefer for Fuji, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic to just create a body shape that fits the hand and the face.  There's no 35mm film cassette, mirror or prism, and with the exception of the X-Pro there's no optical viewfinder - so why not design a shape that fits the purpose rather than something that looks a 1950's film camera.  It's the same design ethos as the new VW Beetle and the BMW Mini - both fashion statements rather that logical designs. 

When I bought my X-E2, I also looked at the X-T10.  I didn't set out to buy 'a body that looks like an old rangefinder' or one 'that looks like an old SLR' - I wanted to buy a Fuji X series body within a specific price range.

My only three requisites for an X-T20:

- 24Mp X-Trans sensor

- sub 600£

- vertical tilt screen (like the one in the X-T2 or the more classic, "swing (what it's called?)" version)

and if possible the exact same button layout, so we don't have to change our ingrained habits.

Don't really care about af, absolutely don't care about video so whatever they do about these points is fine by me...

- 24Mp X-Trans sensor III (I take it for granted)

- sub 600£

- vertical tilt screen

- XT-2 focus-point jojstick and autofocus

- Customizable "Auto" lever (I never really used my X-T10 in "Auto" mode)

Just for the sake of speculation... is it possible that the sudden demise (Announced: May 18, 2015 - strong sales - retired September 14, 2016 after just 16 months! It is a little bit more than a year of real retail time) is due to sensor shortage?
Maybe something like "we do not have enough sensors for the whole product line, and we are going to introduce the X-T20 fairly soon anyway, so let's pull the X-T10..."

:^D

I guess you are right, but I still think it's odd that many of the major manufacturers produce essentially the same camera in two different 'styles'.  We can have a pretend SLR with mock prism, or a pretend Leica.  I'd prefer for Fuji, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic to just create a body shape that fits the hand and the face.  There's no 35mm film cassette, mirror or prism, and with the exception of the X-Pro there's no optical viewfinder - so why not design a shape that fits the purpose rather than something that looks a 1950's film camera.  It's the same design ethos as the new VW Beetle and the BMW Mini - both fashion statements rather that logical designs. 

When I bought my X-E2, I also looked at the X-T10.  I didn't set out to buy 'a body that looks like an old rangefinder' or one 'that looks like an old SLR' - I wanted to buy a Fuji X series body within a specific price range.

Unfortunately, we all have different, hands, faces, preferences and use our cameras differently.  Personally, I don't enjoy using rangefinder style cameras.  If Fuji only made RF style cameras I probably wouldn't buy them and would use another brand.  Many people feel the opposite.  Buy putting out two bodies based on mostly the same technology Fuji can cater to both crowds and capture more of the market.

The retro styling, as you point out, is completely an aesthetic choice but there is no doubt it also impacts sales figures.  While I like the styling I would not buy a camera solely based on that.

Thanks, I missed that one. Must be plenty of X-T10 models left - not discounted at all yet.

Pure speculation on my part but I am guessing that they stopped production because there was already enough available to carry them into next year when we will see an x-t10 replacement.

Edited by dalto

What are your thoughts here, is it a good choice to buy X-T10 now?

I want to replace my old Canon 40D and get rid of its lenses and X-T10 was what I found after spending too much time reading reviews. I read now how excellent X-T2 is, but it seems to be too expensive for me. One of my milestones is a trip in november, so waiting for more than 6 months for next version does not seem to be a good Idea.

I understand this is not a yes/no question and the best camera is that which is with me, not in Fujifilm research facility :)

I want to replace my old Canon 40D and get rid of its lenses and X-T10 was what I found after spending too much time reading reviews. I read now how excellent X-T2 is, but it seems to be too expensive for me. One of my milestones is a trip in november, so waiting for more than 6 months for next version does not seem to be a good Idea.

I understand this is not a yes/no question and the best camera is that which is with me, not in Fujifilm research facility :)

Love my X-T10, if I was buying a fuji now and funds for a X-T2 were not available, I'd buy the X-T10, or X-T1 which would depend on the deals available.

I prefer the shape of the X-T cameras if you prefer the range finder style, the X-E2s is also an option

It´s a Yes/Yes question - a wonderful little camera. You will love it, I bet.

I went from a 5dmkii (and I still have a 40D) to an X-T10, and I did not regret it at all. The X-T10 is so much fun to shoot with, the image quality is excellent, and things that I didn't even think of beforehand were far superior than the 40D.. like accuracy of auto white balance etc. With the 40D, unless I did a custom white balance or shot a grey card in every scene, I inevitably spent quite a bit of time correcting the colours in Lightroom afterwards. With the X-T10, I only felt like I had to do this once per about 150 shots or so.

Another great thing for me from moving to mirrorless from dslr... no more front/back focussing problems! I had to micro adjust the focus on some of my canon lenses to almost their maximum settings to get them to focus on target. You won't find this problem with the Fuji cameras  :)

My only two negatives of the X-T10 were the physical size, and the viewfinder. Now I have small hands, and one of the main reasons I went mirrorless was the smaller, more convenient form factor, but even taking this into account I found that I would be frequently pressing buttons on the back of the camera with my palm with got a bit frustrating. I ended up disabling the function of a couple of the buttons in the end so this wasn't a problem. Although the optional metal grip that Fuji sells for it helped a lot with this, and I would 100% recommend it (although is a rip off at about £80).

The viewfinder is amazing in terms of resolution, refresh rate and general quality... but the eye cup is not very deep, and in brighter light situations the image in the EVF can appear washed out due to the light seeping in there between your eye and the 'cup'. Not sure if there are other eyecup options out there for the X-T10, but might be worth checking out.

In summary, moving from a 40D to X-T10 is a no brainer move as far as I am concerned. You will really enjoy the experience of this fantastic little (but very capable) camera compared to your ageing canon beast. However If I had to do it again I would probably have gone for an X-T1, for the slightly more comfortable grip size and better EVF/eye cup.

Hope this helps! :)

Hello Tickus, I just licked up a XT-10 with the kit 18-55 in Early Sept for a top to France.  I went this route as a low coast opportunity to get into an x system. I wasted small, light and fun travel camera. Could not be happier.  If you can wait, do so, go through the shiny new gear recriminations that we all suffer.  

Than same thing happened to me years ago when the D800 came out. I purchase a new D700 for a trip to Myanmar, and sure enough, mid way through the trip the launch the D800. Sill have and love the D700.  Feel the same about the XT10. Had a ball shooting this camera on the trip. It just disappeared when i wasn't using it.  Granted I have a long way to go getting used to the interface and customizing the controls, but I have found what I've been looking for.

Best of luck, it's always exciting to get some new great :)

...so why not design a shape that fits the purpose rather than something that looks a 1950's film camera.  It's the same design ethos as the new VW Beetle and the BMW Mini - both fashion statements rather that logical designs. 

Couldn't disagree more. The design ethos for these cameras is more along the lines of using well-developed solutions in modern design. E.g. if one puts dials on the camera, look in the past how dials were put on the darn things and use that as inspiration for the new design. If you've got an evf/ovf, there's essentially three places to put it: top left, top middle, top right - and if you put it in the middle you may want to raise it - which just coincides with putting this hump on the camera. Etc., etc...

Edited by Florian

• 3 weeks later...

Some updates: It seems that X-T10 is close to out of stock in Europe already. I wanted to order 18-55 kit, but they tell me that it is not available anymore. Now I am considering buying an used X-T1 instead.

I can confirm this. I basically went to every store in London - Park's, Curry's, Jessop's, Camera World... even John Lewis and Dixon's Travel at the airport but none of them have any in stock.

Traveled to Hong Kong and the X-T10 is also out of stock everywhere... tonight a salesperson at Broadway Electrical told me that the X-T10 has been discontinued as notified by their Japanese counterparts and that they will not be replenishing their stock as there is no inventory at all and whatever stock that's circulating in the stores now is all that is left.

Bummer - just when the lovely 23mm f2.0 lens is released. The dilemma now is whether to purchase the lens whilst stores still have it (very limited supply) and wait for the X-T10 successor. Or just get both together later?

Just checked, Fuji uk online shop has limited stock of black x-t10, amazon uk has very limited stock of x-t10's, I know my local camera shop had at least one X-T10 in when i walked past the other day

The camera is available but supplies are limited, there is also not large amounts of X-E2s in stock on amazon (however the X-E2 is available for only £399.99 on amazon uk atm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-X-E2-Camera-Silver-Sensor/dp/B00FZSEMRE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1476525355&sr=8-5&keywords=x-e2s

I got my T10 today.

As I went to see the used T1 on offer which was too cheap to be true (600 EUR with 18-55), I received an email from dealer stating that T10 18-55 kit was unexpectedly delivered to him. While the T1 seemed fine with no external signs of heavy use, I went for T10 because of warranty and smaller size.

I hope this sign from supernatural power (the mighty random) showed me the right choice :P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...