AE-L does not include ISO auto?

Hello,

while I was shooting yesterday I wanted to use AE-L several times, but it never worked.

I was shooting in manual mode (manual shutter speed, manual aperture) with ISO Auto. When pressing the AE-L button the ISO settings still changed, no AE-L symbol was shown in the EVF. When setting ISO manually and shutter speed or aperture to auto, AE-L worked just fine and the AE-L symbol was shown in the EVF.

Do I misunderstand something?

Is this a bug?

Does this work as it should?

Is it possible to include ISO auto in AE-L as well?

I mean that AE-L should lock the exposure settings as they are.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by menphrad

• 2 years later...

I find this a big problem as well. I usually have my Canon set to manual, but with auto iso. If I'm shooting against the light I use the '*' button to lock the ISO setting from an exposure in the shade, recompose. Quick, easy and simple. Trying to mirror this with my FujiFilm x-T3 doesn't work. The AE-L button doesn't do anything. It's got to be a bug that I would think could be fixed with a firmware update?

I can get around it by setting the ISO manually, but it takes time when you're in a hurry to get the shot.