X-T2 - Hockey Work

Matthias46

First official work. I'd say is pretty pretty good. I need more experience in tweaking the Autofocus to my liking, but with the Universal one the behaviour is really good! Never used my Canon 1Dx that i brought as insurance :D

Only trouble i had was to set the White Balance. Since was my first shooting with the X-T2 the photos where all a bit cold, with the Canon i was able to set it spot on picking the ice with a slightly off focus image! With the Fuji this didn't work :|

29601358336_7637d7a466_b.jpgTravis Oleksuk and Marco Insam by Matthias Egger, su Flickr

29010225194_aed72fd5f2_b.jpgJesse Root and Brodie Reid by Matthias Egger, su Flickr

29010218684_c0d680fa47_b.jpgAndrew Yogan by Matthias Egger, su Flickr

29601356416_d9405b9ff2_b.jpgNick Palmieri by Matthias Egger, su Flickr

Hey!

Wondering if you were shooting raw & converting or just jpeg & if you've tried both ways and noticed any diff with regard to af performance?

I was shooting Jpegs. I need to give the photos to the newspaper as soon as the match is finished, so no time to convert a RAW! I also had only 1 minutes to try to set the WB, because they make a pre-show where the lights are out and with a new camera 1 minute wasn't enough. need to make experience on how Fuji works there!

nice shots! What SD Card have you used with it? Im trying to decide if with the power grip I should buy the SD-USHII or USHI is fast enough? 

I used 2 of this http://www.lexar.com/products/memory-cards/sd/Professional-2000x-SDHC-SDXC-UHS-II.html

What is the "Universal one" . The pictures are very good and I'd also like to know what focus settings you used.

You have 5 preconfigured AF settings and one that is customizable by you. I used the first one that is labelled as "multifunction". Sorry, used the wrong word ;)

Zone AF with the 3x3 square!

Edited by Matthias46

Hi. Thanks for the great pictures. During a presentation of the x-t2 by Fujifilm, I had the opportunity to "test" the camera for a couple of minutes. It was without the extra battery grip and got a little warm at the bottom and at the hand grip during still photo taking. Were you using the extra battery grip and did you notice any heating of the camera or grip?

You have 5 preconfigured AF settings and one that is customizable by you. I used the first one that is labelled as "multifunction". Sorry, used the wrong word ;)

Zone AF with the 3x3 square!

Glad to see Zone AF is finally working! On my X-T1, the only AF setting that works relatively ok is Single Point.

Isn't there a bigger zone area than 3x3? Like 3x5 or something? Why 3x3?

Nice shots by the way! Are you following the World Cup? Go Team Canada ;) hehe

Hi. Thanks for the great pictures. During a presentation of the x-t2 by Fujifilm, I had the opportunity to "test" the camera for a couple of minutes. It was without the extra battery grip and got a little warm at the bottom and at the hand grip during still photo taking. Were you using the extra battery grip and did you notice any heating of the camera or grip?

I wasn't using the Grip because my seller runned out of them. I think i will be able to get it in a couple of days. The camera definetely showed some heating but was identical to my old X-T10. Really nothing serious!

Glad to see Zone AF is finally working! On my X-T1, the only AF setting that works relatively ok is Single Point.

Isn't there a bigger zone area than 3x3? Like 3x5 or something? Why 3x3?

Nice shots by the way! Are you following the World Cup? Go Team Canada ;) hehe

Yeah there is a much bigger zone but for that i like the 3x3 because i don't want to get the camera to try to focus something at the edges. I want the player in front of me and that's it :)

I was shooting Jpegs. I need to give the photos to the newspaper as soon as the match is finished, so no time to convert a RAW! I also had only 1 minutes to try to set the WB, because they make a pre-show where the lights are out and with a new camera 1 minute wasn't enough. need to make experience on how Fuji works there!

Hi Matthias. Thanks for your reply, & it will be interesting to hear what you think after a few times shooting with that setup.

I don't know what your normal workflow is like, but I would encourage you to give shooting with raw a try.

I work for wire services & shoot a lot of sports... Fotball, winter sport, handball, hockey in addition to hard news, and have to send continuously during matches, so I must say I envy you a little being able to wait until after the match is finished ";~} I used to run only jpegs too, but there are so many situations that you have no control over... That are difficult at best, or even beyond what jpegs will handle well that I made the move to raw some years back. It is definitely different, and it will take a few jobs before you find a setup that works for you, but it can give you a lot more latitude... And once you do you really can work fast.

Hi Fotned! I will follow your suggestion and will try to go shooting a match outside my contract so i can experiment a bit ;)

Will report here again when i have some conclusions ;)

Excellent! Good luck, I'll follow along here for that... I'm hoping that the T2 & the reported coming flash systems may allow me to go over to my X gear more often";~} By the way the light at PalaOnda(guessing that's where you were shooting?) seems pretty good, & while showing a little on the cool side is def. OK for news work... I'd love to see more of the heavy action shots as opposed to individual players. I'm wondering how well you think the the setup preformed in those tough situations...

Not sure this would be actual for you, but my normal raw workflow for say a fotball match(would be the same for hockey)

Shoot it and select/mark the pic(s) in camera... I'm required to have 2-3 pics out on the wire within the first ten minutes of the match... These must be edited, ready to use shots. Meaning the horizon is straight, basic exposure/color correction & crop, and texted correctly. That is player to the left/right/front etc name(spelled correctly) and player B name, in situation bla, bla. We have a standard base text we use. Ingest with PhotoMechanic, if you don't already use it, definitely try it, it's key to speed. Note at this point I'm only ingesting those selected pics. Apply quick adjustments in CameraRaw, finalize the caption & send... ";~} Ned

Is the Palonda yes...nice eye mate :D.

Is pretty much the same workflow as me apart from the fact that I will ingest all the photos (also I use PhotoMechanic) and I have 15 minutes after the first period of the game to send the images! So I usually skip the rating you make in the first 10min. Easier job for me because sometimes I can even send them after the game and not after the first period :)

Tomorrow I will go in a foreign city to shoot another match but Sunday I am again at the Palaonda and will report new thing I will experience:

1. White Balance to set correctly (didn't like that one above, but 1 min was too fast to learn)

2. Correctly set the AF behavior

3. Will try to shoot the difficult and most intense action

If you want send me your email in PM so I remember to post for you! ;)

Unfortunately seems that my Battery Grip isn't arrived, so unless tomorrow will be a surprise, also this 2 matches will be shooted without BG!

Edited by Matthias46

Ok some updates! I used the 2 AF setting that keeps the  focus also when something appears in front of the original object. Seems like the correct choice because the camera now is a razor and i have very few images out of focus. also i was able to set the WB spot on, i made an error the first time.

This is from another city, keep in mind that they may be very bright depending on your monitor because i need them that way (the paper of the newspaper is shit)

Innsbruck, Austria

29446005590_5ce65c1b50_b.jpgClark Seymour by Matthias Egger, su Flickr

Then i came back to my home city and made this for a work where i put also some editing to replicate a work that i made with the Canon. Really i must say that working the jpg's of the Fuji is simply easier because the start is better :D! Color is nicer and i tuned the noise setting to -1. This gave me much better skin tones and also preserve the details!

29703449681_9b02f99097_b.jpgBrodie Reid by Matthias Egger, su Flickr

29493605140_36f4529a81_b.jpgNick Palmieri and Luca Frigo by Matthias Egger, su Flickr

29493595810_91b5c3d662_b.jpgAndrew Yogan by Matthias Egger, su Flickr

Bonus B&W

29493593370_d5885e0c95_b.jpgReferees Bolzano-Linz 18/09/2016 by Matthias Egger, su Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Great shots! I take it you were shooting with the boost grip?

Fuji needs to come out with a 200mm prime! They really need some longer fast-focusing glass.

I'm renting the D500 and the Nikon 300mm f/4 PF lens next month. I'll be shooting football and surfing. I was hoping to shoot some hockey as well, but they're out of town that weekend.

After that, I plan to rent the X-T2 and the 50-140mm. Then I'm going to try the new E-M1 II and the m.zuiko 300mm f/4 combo. I'm currently shooting an E-M1, but I'm looking for something better for sports.

Tomorrow I will go in a foreign city to shoot another match but Sunday I am again at the Palaonda and will report new thing I will experience:

1. White Balance to set correctly (didn't like that one above, but 1 min was too fast to learn)

2. Correctly set the AF behavior

3. Will try to shoot the difficult and most intense action

If you want send me your email in PM so I remember to post for you

Hi Mattias! Sorry for the slow reply, had some unexpected travel & super busy since I got back... I did send you a pm though it seemed to take a very long time to transfer, so I'm not sure if you got it.

I see you've been busy, nice clean shots, guess you fixed the WB issue Bummer about the grip not being available... Did you get to try raw shooting & more tight action shots yet? By the way I was in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago... Well sort of... Lago di Garda, Sirmione, Riva del Garda... Need to go back when I'm not working kind of area

Yes...learned to set the WB, was easier than the Canon infact, but i needed a brain reboot :D

For the tight action shots and raw shooting you need to wait for tomorrow when i will do another match! And yes you were really close to me, i go to that wonderful lake very often...not for work...only fun :D

Yes...learned to set the WB, was easier than the Canon infact, but i needed a brain reboot :D

For the tight action shots and raw shooting you need to wait for tomorrow when i will do another match! And yes you were really close to me, i go to that wonderful lake very often...not for work...only fun :D

No problem I was just wondering if/how it went";~}

It's a beautiful area... We have some friends who own an apartment in Venice that we rent once or twice a year... So it's just a short train trip away... Definitely be exploring some more without the work thing";~}

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...