Contrasty EVF?

lauriebrett

Had my xt2 for 2 days and loving it. However the EVF seems very contrasty compared to the xt1. Tried manual brightness instead of auto, and tried different film modes, still seems contrasty. Anyone else finding this? Is there something else I've missed in settings?

Yes! You're absolutely right. I've got the same observation trying different power/brightness settings and nothing works. The image is very bright in comparison to XT1 but also very contrasty in the way I feel like loosing shadows details. It needs to be addressed to Fuji support for future updates or firmware modification.

I think I've solved it. When I first set the camera up I had set image quality / shadows to + 2. I thought that would lighten shadows but it appears to darken them. I've now set it to minus 2 and the EVF appears much better. Since I always shoot raw, it doesn't effect the photos.

I think I've solved it. When I first set the camera up I had set image quality / shadows to + 2. I thought that would lighten shadows but it appears to darken them. I've now set it to minus 2 and the EVF appears much better. Since I always shoot raw, it doesn't effect the photos.

RAW files are not affected but JPG are. This trick only works with JPGs.

The EVF for both are quite close for me.

Are you talking about Auto WB? Last night I was doing some tests of custom WB for both cameras. They are very close. Of course you have to make sure you have the same settings for both cameras... film simulation, color, etc. Also, do you have EVF set to Auto or Manual? 

I was doing my tests in Pro Neg Standard. 

I am finding the X-T2 EVF to be remarkable. It is amazing how accurate it can be. By accurate, I mean when I look through the viewfinder then glance up at the scene how close the colors are. My X-T1 was very good as well, but the X-T2 seems just a bit better.