Battery Life?

WillyC3

Hi Val

Thanks for answering; same result for me, found nothing in the manual. Only the symbols.

I remember I saw in previews and announcement that the X-T2 should show up precise percentage for each battery ... Maybe only with booster grip ?

I still wonder how the chaps got it !

ATB

JpP

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen at least one review where the camera experienced lockup while using an X-T1 battery in body during continuous shooting. Even so, I expect firmware updates to fix bugs with any such product after release. I've been using X-T2 battery in body and no issues thus far.

I have been working with an X-T2 for 3 weeks now. I only have one 126S battery. I also use 4 normal 126 batteries that I'm cycling. I have not had any problem until now although my X-T2 gets warmer than my X-T1 making only still photos. Regarding battery life, I was initially surprised by its short life. But after starting working normally, as I did with my X-T1, I'm not noticing any difference in battery life.

I can't say that I have noticed the XT-2 as being any worse than the XT-1. In my experience power consumption is mostly determined by use of the EVF and the LCD rather than by making exposures. Don't chimp (it shouldn't be necessary), play a lot with the camera when you first get it so that you have all the buttons set how you want and don't need to delve into the menus. Set the power time-out to 2 minutes, unless the camera is on a tripod, in which case you will curse the fact that the power timeout can only be set by delving into the menu.

The power meter is much more accurate on the XT-2 so at least when you get the red battery symbol you have got more than the 10 or 20 seconds to go that you had with the XT-1

Val75, I have now realised that the figure I quoted was storage capacity and not battery life, sorry about that.  :wub:

As you are probably aware I've only had the X-T2 since Thursday, so any comments regarding battery life are preliminary to say the least! Compared to my X-T1 I'm not yet seeing an awfully big difference! The only different setting is that I'm using is the "boost" setting to get a bit more speed! I am doing a lot more menu surfing as I familiarise myself with this little marvel.

Yesterday I took 90 shots(RAW + Lfine) with a lot of chimping and menu surfing as you would expect and along with a fair bit of menu bashing and having just checked I'm down one bar on the battery meter! That was from a 126S battery, of which I have two plus two non round spot. I don't usually go for non makers batteries so I can't comment on them. I wish that it was possible to switch between storage and shots taken?

Sorry for my confusion, I'll put down to old age! I usually don't walk around with the camera switched on but sometimes I forget to turn it off.

What is "chimping"?

@octobercrow -- chimping is looking at your pictures on the back of the camera and going "ooo ooo ooo"        

on a commercial shoot yesterday using the back LCD a lot, AND chimping, i got over 300 RAW + jpegs before swapping batteries.

Edited by FujiNut

Chimping!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

He has just taken a shot of Cologne Cathedral or Koln Dom whichever you prefer.  :D

Edited by Mike G

Good points everyone.  I have taken 397 photos with my X-T2, and have had to charge the battery twice.  however, I will add I've been fiddling with the men's setting it up, and chimping every chance I get.  Normally, I have image review turned off once the camera is set up.

Not very impressed, but I have accumulated seven batteries over time so I don't think I'll ever be at a loss for power.

Currently day 3 in the maternity ward. Taken 390 shots so far, still on half battery. But I don't chimp, no image review and I usually dial in my settings before I switch on the camera. I did create some jpegs using the built in raw converter and transfer them via WiFi. Same results as I would get with my X-T1.

Currently day 3 in the maternity ward. Taken 390 shots so far, still on half battery. But I don't chimp, no image review and I usually dial in my settings before I switch on the camera. I did create some jpegs using the built in raw converter and transfer them via WiFi. Same results as I would get with my X-T1.

Congratulations? :) 

Well I got the camera delivered last Friday (9/30) and have been playing with it.  I've taken around 367 images (based on frame #) and I've had to charge the "S" series battery twice, and gone through a regular battery from my X-T1.  Yes, I was messing around in the menu's a lot as i go through setting up, and making changes to the camera.  I am shooting JPEG+RAW (uncompressed), and am chimping much more than I usually do as well.  I normally have image review set to off in day to day use.

Not happy with that aspect but I'm going to chalk it up to heavy menu and chimping use for now.  I have seven other batteries so it shouldn't be an issue on a trip.

We'll see how that develops as I get more used to the camera and nail down the proper settings.

Real life battery experience:

Photographing a yoga festival, XT-2 w/Battery Grip, all 3 new, full charged "S" batteries, Fuji 50-140mm lens, Continuous focus, Continuous-Low on the drive, Vibration Reduction on, JPEG, Vivid, back up to slot2,  a medium amount of chimping...I did not go into the menu...

4hours, 700 images...then the battery light went red...No complaints from me. I had a set of the older 126 batteries as back up and did not need them...

As stated earlier, changing batteries takes just a moment, way less time than changing a roll of film, and less to carry...

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I've discovered that may make a significant difference... 

The view mode button has four modes.

• Eye sensor, which switching back and forth between the rear LCD and the EVF depending on whether it senses your eye in the EVF
  • EVF Only, which has the EVF always running while the camera is on
  • LCD Only, which has the LCD always running while the camera is on
  • EVF Only + Eye sensor, which only turns on the EVF when your eye is detected in the viewfinder.

I did not realize the EVF Only + Eye sensor mode existed until I read the manual, but I imagine not running a screen the entire time the camera is on would save an enormous amount of battery life. So consider using the EVF Only+ Eye Sensor mode if you're struggling with battery life if you're not already!

Sincerely,

Copy Paper

Wow....I'm very happy for you! :wub:

And what better ways to you use your Fujifilm! Enjoy. It's undoubtedly the best times of your life. Cherish!

Thanks! :-) indeed, best decision ever to take the X-T2 to the hospital instead of just a chappy phone.