Battery Life?

WillyC3

I am new to the Fuji world, having previously shot with Nikon and Olympus cameras. So far I really like the ergonomics and performance of the X-T2. I wanted a camera that allows me to think more about the image I want to capture and reduce the time I spend thinking about and changing settings, with a minimum number of focusing or unitended setting errors.

My only initial concern is battery life. The first charge I spent a lot of time going through settings, so I didn't have any expectation related to number of shots. After recharging overnight, I went out to shoot and in less than 100 shots the battery was down to 4%. I did chimp after most of the shots, but had boost mode off and turned the camera off when walking between subjects. I usually can get at least 300-400 shots on my Olympus OM-D E-M1 between charges. What are other X-T2 users seeing? Is there something I might be doing that is draining power?

I am new to the Fuji world, having previously shot with Nikon and Olympus cameras. So far I really like the ergonomics and performance of the X-T2. I wanted a camera that allows me to think more about the image I want to capture and reduce the time I spend thinking about and changing settings, with a minimum number of focusing or unitended setting errors.

My only initial concern is battery life. The first charge I spent a lot of time going through settings, so I didn't have any expectation related to number of shots. After recharging overnight, I went out to shoot and in less than 100 shots the battery was down to 4%. I did chimp after most of the shots, but had boost mode off and turned the camera off when walking between subjects. I usually can get at least 300-400 shots on my Olympus OM-D E-M1 between charges. What are other X-T2 users seeing? Is there something I might be doing that is draining power?

Similar experience - I too played with the camera for a couple of hours with it being more off than on, then took 2 or 3 pics and noticed the battery warning was red. Replaced battery with a fresh new version cell and took around 60 pics. The battery read 80%. I am now leaving it for 48hrs to see if it is discharging whilst the camera is off.

As I have said elsewhere, I am going to do back to back test with both the XT1 and XT2 for comparisons on battery usage.

I will also be cycling the three new cells I have for their first 5 charges. This is to maximise there ability and prevent them getting a memory, although this shouldn't be a problem, being they are lithium cells. I will also be double charging just to make sure they are at maximum capability to start.

I was a bit surprised with the X-T2's battery life too.  I noticed it when first setting up the camera and thought that I may not have fully charged the battery. Had my first session today and got 310 photos from the battery before having to change it. That's a lot less than I was getting with the X-T1, probably about half as much.  I'm pretty sure I set everything up the same as with the X-T1 but I'll have to go through the settings again to see if I missed something that might be causing the drain. Regardless, I love the camera and the upgrades it brought. 

So far my battery life has been horrific, 50 shots.  However, because I am new to the camera I am spending a lot more time in the menus and lot more time reviewing pictures than I normally would.  I suspect that it will get much better over time.

300 shots would be fine for me.  The batteries are small and it is not a big deal to carry an extra.  50-100 per battery would be a problem.

My first test on a full battery and got about 200 shots. I was expecting at least 300 if not more, but then I've been fiddling with a few settings and switching between EVF and LCD. Hopefully I will get more in my next run.

Mike G, would you mind sharing the setting you use, if it's ok? I'd like to get the same number shots as you do. Thank you!

Val75, I have now realised that the figure I quoted was storage capacity and not battery life, sorry about that.  :wub:

As you are probably aware I've only had the X-T2 since Thursday, so any comments regarding battery life are preliminary to say the least! Compared to my X-T1 I'm not yet seeing an awfully big difference! The only different setting is that I'm using is the "boost" setting to get a bit more speed! I am doing a lot more menu surfing as I familiarise myself with this little marvel.

Yesterday I took 90 shots(RAW + Lfine) with a lot of chimping and menu surfing as you would expect and along with a fair bit of menu bashing and having just checked I'm down one bar on the battery meter! That was from a 126S battery, of which I have two plus two non round spot. I don't usually go for non makers batteries so I can't comment on them. I wish that it was possible to switch between storage and shots taken?

Sorry for my confusion, I'll put down to old age! I usually don't walk around with the camera switched on but sometimes I forget to turn it off.

Edited by Mike G

Val75, I have now realised that the figure I quoted was storage capacity and not battery life, sorry about that.  :wub:

As you are probably aware I've only had the X-T2 since Thursday, so any comments regarding battery life are preliminary to say the least! Compared to my X-T1 I'm not yet seeing an awfully big difference! The only different setting is that I'm using is the "boost" setting to get a bit more speed! I am doing a lot more menu surfing as I familiarise myself with this little marvel.

Yesterday I took 90 shots(RAW + Lfine) with a lot of chimping and menu surfing as you would expect and along with a fair bit of menu bashing and having just checked I'm down one bar on the battery meter! That was from a 126S battery, of which I have two plus two non round spot. I don't usually go for non makers batteries so I can't comment on them. I wish that it was possible to switch between storage and shots taken?

Sorry for my confusion, I'll put down to old age! I usually don't walk around with the camera switched on but sometimes I forget to turn it off.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your clarification! I was a bit confused by the numbering too... I'm glad to know that my number of shots isn't far off the average. Being used to a DSLR, I need to come to terms that I won't get the same battery life. However, I'm still extremely pleased with the camera.

Val

Val, I came to Fuji from a Nikon D810, where a fresh battery would last a fortnight, well at least in my case it would! So the X-T1 was a bit of a shock, but the other advantages out-weighed the disadvantages!

I changed in January 2016, all the time waiting for the X-T2(long wait) but it's here and I love it. So the the battery life was not a bother to me. I just st need to carry a couple of spares, and I have used 126 and 126S types with no discernible difference and definitely no freezes!

I did most of my horse trading with WEX of Norwich, which I'm sure you'be heard of, very good firm to trade with!

Regards Mike

Hello Mike, I am a Nikon D810 user and I won't be selling this camera any time soon. It's a great piece of equipment, but way too heavy to carry it around on a daily basis, even with a prime lens...

I can definitely live with a shorter battery life, since a couple of extra batteries don't weigh that much. I just wish manufactures made chargers that could charge two batteries at the same time! (Phase One does actually)

I bought my X-T2 from Wex. I was one of the lucky few who got it on the day it started selling. I live in Suffolk, so I just drove there. I completely agree with you, the customer service is excellent and I got a fair price out the equipment I sold to them.

I will send you a PM, if you don't mind, regarding the X-T2 which is not related to this thread, so that we don't go off topic here.

Cheers,

Val

Val, I bought this one from Amazon, and although the first one did't work its replacement has worked well!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't mind a PM

Cheers Mike