Memory Card + Travel

aivihc

Now with the X-T2 I'll go for 64/64. Before I used max 32 cards, just to make sure not to lose everything from the whole trip at once. Smaller than 32 is just inconvenient nowadays. I have plenty of old 8 gig cards lying around, but those have gotten too slow.

I typically never go higher then 32, but I do have a few 64s.  I just take my full wallet full of cards on a trip.  I don't erase them until you get home and get them backed up, and use a wireless drive to back them up while out (Card plus Wireless = 2 copies).  That's my set up...

Are you using the WD passport for the back up?  I am curious about a compact backup system?

I just wondering, do you guys prefer to bring 1-2 big capacity size sdcard or small capacity or maybe mixture for 3 weeks traveling ? For an example

1. 1 or 2 (128GB x 1) / (64GB x 2)
  2. 1 - 3 mixture (64GB) / (32GB) / (16GB)

To me I like to "spread the wealth".  Having large 128GB cards, even 64G is too many eggs in one basket.  In my gear I have a split of 32G and 16G SD cards.  I can take a total of 8,943 images shooting JPEG + Raw.  If I lose a card, or it's somehow damaged, or the camera is stolen, I only lose either 891, or 480 (approx) images on the card depending if they were 32 or 16G.  Also, Once the card is full and back in my card wallet the card wallet is NO LONGER KEPT with the cameras.  The card wallet is on my person wherever I go, at anytime.  If the camera gear is stolen, I still have my images.  

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

When I traveled for 3 weeks last year I took 6 64gb cards and also backed them up every night onto my laptop so I had two copies.  I like having multiple copies so I would go with the larger cards.

When shooting RAW 32-64GB is the sweet spot for me.  Less than that and I have to carry multiple cards at a time.  Obviously, the volume you shoot and the size of your files may dictate a different size for you.

With the X-T1, I only have 16 and 32 Gb. For a travel I use one card for one day. 10 days travel = 10 cards. And I back up the card each day on my WD Wireless pro. No need of a PC in travel.

With the X-T2 I will use 16 Gb cards in the card slot 1 and a 128 Gb for backup in the card slot 2. I will change the 16 Gb card everyday when the 128 Gb card will stay permanently in the X-T2 for backup. No need of hard drive to backup.

Are you using the WD passport for the back up?  I am curious about a compact backup system?

Yes.  The one with the SD Card slot in it.  There are two wireless, one is the pro, it's slimmer, but I don't think it has the SD Slot.  I just use a small 1TB since I only use it to back up cards to...

Actually, just looked on Amazon, the Pro does have the card slot, so both should work great.

Edited by CRAusmus

Yes.  The one with the SD Card slot in it.  There are two wireless, one is the pro, it's slimmer, but I don't think it has the SD Slot.  I just use a small 1TB since I only use it to back up cards to...

Actually, just looked on Amazon, the Pro does have the card slot, so both should work great.

I have that one too. If you get one, make sure to test it out thoroughly so you know its behavior. There are only two LEDs on it so you need to know what blinking or not blink means.

If I have to travel super light but still need to backup my photos, I have a 500 gb SSD in an USB powered case and use my RAVPower Wireless Card Reader to transfer the data around. That is usually sufficient for quite a long time for me and doesn't require too much space.

As for SD cards, I always have 3 high speed (80+ mbps) 64 GB cards along 2 slower class 10 micro SD cards with converters at 32 GB each.

All that is stored in a Peak Design Pouch along a couple of USB cables, a Fuji traveler USB charger for the batteries, a couple of extra batteries and a Pocket WiFi and a 2 ports wall charger.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been playing with the RAVPower 3 and it seems to have a reasonable interface on my iPhone, it could be used as a NAS and you can go to a "webpage" if you don't want to use the App.  

When transferring Jpeg I was able to transfer 200 photos from the SD card to a USB memory stick in 20 mins. 

At about 50$ for the USB and the device it seems like a no brainer.  

Brent

I take quite a few memory cards. I have 16gb up to 64gb, SanDisk and Lexar, with 2 128gb as well. Some I've have for quite a while. The 16's are getting replaced as 32gb go on sale...

I shot with the XT-2 and the XPro-2. A 128gb card is in slot 2, and the cameras are set for Raw/Jpeg. The Raw card gets removed each day, and locked. I'll load it into LR if I'm traveling with a Laptop, and back it up to an external drive. The images are also backed up, if I had internet connection, to my Google drive. The cards are then stored, face down in a Think Tank Card holder (forgot its' name). The 128gb card only gets swapped out if it's full. I do not format any cards until I get home.