Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F/3.5-F/4.8 or XC 55-230mm F/4.5-F/6.7?

Velvia

Low light shot

The is is relly good

I think i shot this at 1/30 ss at 230mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thru the cage at 230mm

This shot has instagram filter over it

Hand held moon shot at 230mm

Croped in some sharpnes aded post

Shot at 230mm the compresion is amazing those stairs are not that step at all

This 50-230mm is plastic mount the zoom and focus ring are not as smooth as other fujinon lenses BUT opticaly its awsome and the stabilisation is wery good also it is my bigest lens and the lightest i have

(35mm 1.4, 56mm1.2 apd, 18-55mm 2.8-4)

Also you can get it second hand for the price of hand grip haha

Sometimes the price drops 199€ new here in slovenia EU

Pros:

Cheap

Light

Good optics

Good af speed

Sharp

Cons:

Plastic bayonet

Plastic build

AF speed is ok i had no problem taking shots of my 18month old doughter running around

And this is shot with xt10, xt2 should be even better with the AF

This was shot at 50mm

And this is how it looks on my little fuji xt10

My vote is for the 55-200. I had a 50-140 and returned it because with the 1.4 teleconverter it was the same IQ as the 55-200, yes it was a faster lens but you had to stop it down to get any improvement. Essentially you had a 55-200 for nearly $2k.

I haven't tried the XC zoom but it looks to be on par in good light. I'm a fast lens snob and return lenses at the slightest touch of coma or astigmatism but I have to say that Fuji really did a great job with the 55-200. Just be careful buying a used one. My first purchase had a faulty focus motor. I bought it used but through amazon warehouse so I was able to return in.

Of the two, I prefer the XC 55-230mm for most of the reasons previously stated.  While the XF is a little better optically (by the numbers, anyway), when I want something really special, I haul out the XC 50-140mm.  The latter is pricey but I shopped for a couple of months until I found a a nice used grey market one for a few Benjamins below the cost a new one.

Edited by MSW

• 4 weeks later...

I had the 50-230 for a few years, and got some nice shots with it, but eventually I tried out the XF55-200, and never looked back...

The 50-230 lacks that extra bit of sharpness, especially beyond 135mm, which tends to bother me on critical viewing...

I find the 55-200 to be sharper at all ranges. The difference is not colossal, but it is there and it can be seen.

The 55-200 also has much better bokeh rendering, and I've actually started using it for portraits instead of the 35/1.4 for the better compression and flattening. 

And finally, the 55-200 has better IS..by at least 1 stop - and that is very significant, especially when combined with the extra light it can gather....

better IS...

Devil hidden in details.
Chances to get a shake blur they are more related to steadiness of hands and leverage moment from the lens (i.e. weight and physical length) rather than effectiveness of IS.
The equation looks simple, but worth to mention that steadiness of hands has non-linear behavior. Hence, adding, say, 200gr of weight not always can be compensated with, say, 1 extra stop of IS.
That's easy to check. 
Take a 2 good doses of shots, outdoor at max focal:
1) pointed horizontally, along the street
2) pointed up, to the top of closest building
On both cases, try to keep camera at a same manner.
If second dose give you a noticeable smaller number of blurs, that's means you need a lens with much lower weight, or at least with more effective IS. Assuming you will not rush to the bodybuilding training just because to keep the lens better.

Edited by Vidalgo

I really cannot add to the finer points here other than  to say I have had the 50-230 with my X-T1 and bought a used 55-200 for my new X-T2.  I have sold the T-1 with the 50-230 and never looked back with respect to the camera or the lens.  In my hands the 55-200 works and feels better and I actually like the little extra heft.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer zoom for these type of focal length, mainly used for travelling shooting landscapes & some portraits with family & friends(not for professional works). I wish to know which lens image qualities is better, durability & i only can afford for either 1 of these 2 models? Thanks & appreciate for advising.

Have a look here: http://eng.roguski.eu/2016/06/10/fujinon-xf55-200mm-f3-5-4-8-r-lm-ois/ - I don't know if it will be of any help, but my opinion about this lens is still very good :-)

Frankly speaking it was to be only a temporary solution until I buy 50-140 f/2.8, but... now I'm not so sure if I really need to upgrade :-)