Back Button Focusing

JpP

Hi Folks

Does somebody know if the brand new final production firmware enables focusing (including CS mode) without half depressing the shutter release button ? Back button method ...

If not, please Fujifilm, DO IT !!   I do know I'm not the only guy waiting for that ... Join me, brothers, louder ! : FUJI, FUJI, FUJI !!!

JpP

Yes thanks; but it was written before the today final production firmware output, and the answers aren't what I'm looking for.

Back button focusing means that you get your focus using one of the back buttons (AE, AF or any fn-able one) and not the half depressed release button; once you're done and leave that button, the focus point doesn't change anymore and you can recompose your picture without depressing any button; if AFC is ON, it will allow you to track your subject by staying active as long as you're using this back button.

As for now it's not possible.

I come from the Nikon world, where that method is commonly used, and that is the only point I'm missing with my Fujifilm bodies.

Hence my initial question. I hope it will be implemented now or later on the X-T2.

JpP

I read a really comprehensive review of the X-T2 today on Fuji rumors and in the review it says they have implemented AF-On on the X-T2

Here is the link to the entire review.

http://www.fujirumors.com/first-look-review-fujifilm-x-t2/

Here is the excerpt from the review that refers to back button focusing.  

DSLR-Style Focus and Exposure Features

Fuji’s X-T line of cameras—and particularly the new X-T2—have been designed to appeal to DSLR users and converts. This means that many users expect their mirrorless camera to behave just like a DSLR, while at the same time it shall offer all advantages of mirrorless technology. In the X-T2, Fujifilm is catering to such demands by implementing several DSLR-specific features:

• Half-pressing the shutter button (and keeping it half-pressed) can be decoupled from initiating an autofocus run or from metering and locking the exposure.
  • Any Fn button can turn into an AF-ON button. AF-ON is a popular DSLR feature that activates the autofocus (AF-S or AF-C) as soon and as long as the AF-ON button is pressed.
  • After taking a shot, releasing the shutter button only halfway back to its half-pressed position (instead of fully letting go) retains focus and exposure of the previous shot for your next shot.

Thank you mvlow ! That's really a good news, all what I was waiting for.

Best regards

JpP

You're welcome JpP.  When my X-T2 arrives, it will be my first Fuji camera.  Coming from Nikon I didn't even realize until you brought up the question that older Fuji's didn't back button focus.  I am glad the X-T2 does, as it is my preferred style of shooting and it would be hard for me to go back to focusing with the shutter button.

Yes thanks; but it was written before the today final production firmware output, and the answers aren't what I'm looking for.

Back button focusing means that you get your focus using one of the back buttons (AE, AF or any fn-able one) and not the half depressed release button; once you're done and leave that button, the focus point doesn't change anymore and you can recompose your picture without depressing any button; if AFC is ON, it will allow you to track your subject by staying active as long as you're using this back button.

As for now it's not possible.

I come from the Nikon world, where that method is commonly used, and that is the only point I'm missing with my Fujifilm bodies.

Hence my initial question. I hope it will be implemented now or later on the X-T2.

JpP

Well, I can tell you that I can do all this with my X-T1.

Hi JRphoto

You're more skilled than I am; with my X-T1 I only can achieve a back button focusing by using the manual focus mode (so no continuous AF tracking mode). As I intend to keep this body as a backup, I'd be glad to learn more about your technique.

Btw, back button focus seems to appear (maybe I'm wrong) as a new spec on the X-T2; have a look at Rico's review here http://www.fujirumors.com/first-look-review-fujifilm-x-t2/

Regards

JpP

Hi JpP!

Go to Autofocus Setting --> Instant AF Setting and set this to AF-C (autofocus mode C); put the camera in manual mode (mode M): now, as long as you keep the AF-L button pressed, the camera is continously focusing.

Hope this helps!

Hi JRphoto

You're really more skilled than I am, that time without the smallest bit of irony, I have to apologize; not tried your method yet, but I surely will (as I wrote, I want to keep my X-T1).

Thanks for the tip, will be useful to many, among them ...

... JpP

Btw, why did Fujifilm introduce an alternate way of doing that with the X-T2 ?

I've been back button focusing with my XT1 since I got it 18 months back.  But ... with back button AF-L used for focusing (have it set to only focus when I press the button) ... the camera still has the shutter half pressed focus enabled.  I think this new XT2 firmware will give the option to completely remove focusing from the shutter button.  So a bit different if that is what you are looking for.  But with the XT1, when holding the AF-L for back button focusing, the shutter response to the shutter button is instant ... as it should be.   :)

On the XT1 the back AF-L button for back button focusing only employees contrast focus, not the phase focus.  So the AF-L can commonly take longer to lock focus.  It is a nuisance and disappointing.  But on the XT2, the AF-L button now uses the same phase detection focus so it is just as quick as the focus via the shutter release button.  :)

Edited by Adam Woodhouse

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know if the AF can be decoupled from the XT20, so that I can back button focus. I always shoot that way with Nikons. And if so how is it done?

I know you can go into MF mode and assign a button to turn AF on, but you get very limited AF functionality that way, so it's a not a nice option.

Thanks!

Will