My first use of xpro1

This is my first use of my xpro1 on the Royal mile, Edinburgh.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I should have focused on the bearded guy's face but it's the background that's sharper than the guy is. This is anlso my first try at street photography. Any sugestions on how I should have taken this photo?

I posted the wrong photo of the bearded guy. I meant to post (if this works) this bigger one that the other was cropped from. I think the reason why the background was sharper was my use of f:8 or f11 and the guy was off center. I'll have to practice a lot more before going away again.

Thanks. I had time if I was familiar enough with the camera settings, to get it right. I saw him coming along the street. I've been thinking that sharpness is the most important thing. But although it is important, in street photography, I've been thinking recently that when I look at good street photos, it's not how sharp it is that grabs my attention but the way it makes me feel, the atmosphere and emotions it conveys. That's not to say I'm going to forget about sharpness, but I think I should concentrate on what makes a thought provoking picture first.

Try zone focusing or focus and recompose.  I'm guessing, by looking at the bearded guy image, you were in OVF Mode?  Just a guess.  When the subject is close, the parallax is greater so I usually switch to zone if it's feasible.  If I'm working a scene, then I always switch to zone so I don't have any lag when my subject enters the frame...

Just some of the methods I use...

Street photography is difficult, but it's that challenge that we love isn't it.  Sometimes I come home and I'm not happy with any of my images, and I think I should just sell my cameras.  Truth is, I love going out and trying to make images.  It's a blast, even if I'm not very good at it sometimes and completely suck other times...

Stick to it...As long as you're enjoying it that is...

Edited by CRAusmus

I can't remember which viewfinder mode I was in. I was playing around with my Xpro1 and found it is so easy to shift the focusing point to the left or wherever. Just hold down the AF button and use the directional buttons. I should have done that before first use. Next time I will place the focus point to one side, depending which direction I'm facing like I should have with the bearded man photo. I will have to practice zone focusing on the wife until It's more towards second nature.

I enjoy using cameras so I think I may, if funds allow, get hold of a Rollieflex TLR at some time in the not too distant future and take that out on the streets. I used to enjoy the fact that the leaf shutter allows shutter speeds much slower than usual due to its mirror being static and the leaf shutter being so light and vibration free. There is also the advantage in people not realising a photo is being taken because they don't see a camera at your eye. They think you're just looking at your camera's settings or something. At least it'll be easier using a coloured filter with B/W film than trying to use a polarising filter. Man, that's a hoot!

Edited by Bitingly Sharp733

I have a Yashica Mat 124.  TLRs are a real blast to shoot.  I am really slow with mine though.

Keep in mind for Yashica's and Rollie TLR's you have to have an adapter to use filters on them, or buy the filters outright as it uses a bayonet system (Bay is the brand I believe) to attach filters to.  They can get pretty expensive if you buy the filters outright, but if you buy the adapter, it's just a fairly large initial investment, then you can get what filters you want...Although with B/W Film I usually just stick with Yellow No2.  Sometimes a red is fun though if you want a black sky...

Edited by CRAusmus

I have a Yashica Mat 124.  TLRs are a real blast to shoot.  I am really slow with mine though.

Keep in mind for Yashica's and Rollie TLR's you have to have an adapter to use filters on them, or buy the filters outright as it uses a bayonet system (Bay is the brand I believe) to attach filters to.  They can get pretty expensive if you buy the filters outright, but if you buy the adapter, it's just a fairly large initial investment, then you can get what filters you want...Although with B/W Film I usually just stick with Yellow No2.  Sometimes a red is fun though if you want a black sky...

I have also a Yashica Mat 124. Great format and fun to use  :D

I have also a Yashica Mat 124. Great format and fun to use  :D

Mine was a Yashica 635 but the 35mm film was really stiff to advance. Couldn't see the point of using it in a medium format camera though. I tripped over my tripod when using it one day and the bulb setting no longer worked probably other speeds were affected too. Slides were superb. I took it on honeymoon to Rome and Venice. Lost all the photos, though.