Does a missing sync cover affect the X-Pro2's WR sealing?

Hello there,

I got my X-Pro2 just yesterday - and I already do love this camera! I sold all my Nikon DSLR equipment (D600, 4 lenses, flash etc.) and bought this wonderful piece. I already bought the X70 like one month ago - I immediately fell in love with Fujifilm!

So I went on my first photowalk yesterday... And, I can't believe, I've already managed to lose the sync cover (on the left side next to the diopter adjustment).

Does a missing sync cover affect the X-Pro2's WR sealing? Is it possible that water may leak I to the camera?

I mean, this cheap, little, tiny, easy-to-lose thing can't affect a top camera's WR sealing?

In this video you can clearly see at 1:23 that Gianluca Colla's X-Pro2 is not fitted with the cover:

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Manfred

I kept losing the little round sync cover on my X-T1.  I finally got fed up with replacing the darn thing and took a little bit of Sugaru (I think it's called) and filled the darn thing in.  No more problems.

As far as keeping a cover on the flash hotshoe I bough literally a bag of like 15 small, rubber, tight fitting levels and slip these into my hotshoe on the X-T1. I think the bag of levels cost me under $9.00US.  They are cheap, and fit very snugly so I know zero moisture will get in there.

But oh that darn sync cover...  Sealed that puppy right up as it's something I will never use.   I'm sure some of you are wondering: What about when you go to sell the camera?  Um.  I pretty much use up cameras to the point they become paperweights.  So once I'm finished with the bodies, they go into a glass display case I have at one of my homes and they stay locked up in there. No one will want to buy my used crap -- even though I do keep my gear in excellent mechanical working order the outside looks like sh*t.

Edited by jlmphotos

I've just called Fujifilm UK support and they have confirmed that the Sync Terminal cover is required to ensure proper weather sealing.

They don't have the specific one for the X-Pro2 (which was a flat terminal cover) but you can get a cover kit for the X-T1 which would work (part code CVR-XT).

I found one on Amazon for £4.99

The above cover kit doesn't work, as the X-T1 has a screw-on cover whereas the X-Pro2 is a push-on one.

Edited by oscillik

Funny, I asked or commented something very similar a while ago.

I suppose it could, it's a small area, but if it's not covered, sure, why wouldn't moisture or other crap not be able to get in there. I say try to replace the cover when you can. I lost the one on my X-Pro1 and was concerned the same would happen with the X-Pro2.. personally, I feel the X-Pro2's sync cover is not as easy to lose (knock on wood).. the location is higher up and I do feel that since it's so close to the strap lug, that sort of blocks most occurrence of accidental contact which could remove the cover accidentally.

Hard to find the exact one for the X-Pro's on Amazon or Ebay.. it's surprisingly not as common as the one for other sync terminals. I ended up calling Fuji directly to ask for the specific part and ordered several while I had them on the line to make sure I had plenty in case it ever did happen again.

Sure, you could just use electrical or gaffers tape, and some have suggested even Sugru.. I mean if you don't ever plan to use the sync terminal, then I guess you could do a better job of sealing it off.. But, I wouldn't.. I found going on certain jobs that I actually needed that terminal to sync with a studio light setup.

I prefer the original cap to properly cover the sync terminal.

In case you ever need to order a replacement(s) from Fujifilm directly, here is the part # below.

Part #: BB24156-100

Edited by Wing0949

I've just called Fujifilm UK support and they have confirmed that the Sync Terminal cover is required to ensure proper weather sealing.

They don't have the specific one for the X-Pro2 (which was a flat terminal cover) but you can get a cover kit for the X-T1 which would work (part code CVR-XT).

I found one on Amazon for £4.99

Funny - I just called Fujifilm Germany/Austria support and they confirmed me, that a missing Snyc Terminal cover does NOT compromise a X-Pro2's WR sealing.

Of course it is required to keep dirt and water from leaking into the sync terminal, but the sync terminal itself is sealed.

If still needed it can be ordered at €4 + shipping costs, which is a very high price for such a tiny thing (maybe that's a way for Fujifilm to make money? :P)

What is true now?

Funny - I just called Fujifilm Germany/Austria support and they confirmed me, that a missing Snyc Terminal cover does NOT compromise a X-Pro2's WR sealing.

Of course it is required to keep dirt and water from leaking into the sync terminal, but the sync terminal itself is sealed.

If still needed it can be ordered at €4 + shipping costs, which is a very high price for such a tiny thing (maybe that's a way for Fujifilm to make money? :P)

What is true now?

I think you'll never get a definitive answer, everyone's got a different opinion on how whether sealed the x-pro2 actually is, let alone the sync terminal area.

I say whatever you believe in, go with it.

If you don't think weather sealing around the sync terminal is an issue at all, then just leave alone and plain and open.

If it's worth it to get the proper cap so the camera will be as it was when you took it out of the box, then go for it. I did, as I mentioned, and while I was at it got a few extra just in case since I was paying for the shipping anyways.. doesn't make much sense to pay for more shipping again if I needed another.. and I don't like waiting for small stuff like this to arrive to remedy a detail on my X-Pro2.

Otherwise, improvise.. just use a balanced cut and well-placed piece of electrical or gaffer's tape.  You could, as some have suggested, seal it up completely with some Sugru or other compound.

So I just called Fuji UK again today, quoting part number BB24156-100 and they still do not have this part available. They've kindly offered to send me one in the post if they can procure one from returns, etc. However I have suggested that this issue be raised with corporate or something, as there is clearly a problem with getting hold of these and I'm sure I will not be the last one to lose one of these.