XF23mmF1.4 or XF23mmF2 WR - POLL

Patrick FR

POLL XF23mmF1.4 or XF23mmF2 WR  

118 members have voted

1. 1. XF23mmF1.4 Vs. XF23mmF2 WR... which one would be your first choice?

It is mostly to stay extra safe, with those weather conditions getting in and out of building with airco turned on full blast, it can deter the camera from taking a correct picture.

That plus the occasional sudden rain that appears out of nowhere, I know that if I have a WR lens out when it starts raining, I don't have to rush for cover immediately, the camera is able to take some water on it and be fine about it.

I live in Thailand throughout the year, every day I take my xt1 with varying lenses walk to work outside on sites and inside in Aircon I use 10-24, 35f2, 27, 60 never had problems even shot longexposure with 10-24 other night in medium rainy conditions water on the lens and camera didn't faulter ...... Maybe if the rain was monsoon and the water in the lens mount but I wouldn't shoot out in those conditions anyway , im grabbing the 23 f1.4 for $550 so can't complain at that price :)

Not in the market for either but I would choose the f/2 because it is smaller, lighter and focuses closer. I am very happy Fuji has a two lens strategy for most of their prime lens lineup. It really sets the system apart from anything else that's out there except for Nikon and Canon full frame DSLRs. I am hoping Fuji will eventually introduce a 16mm f/2. If they do it and it turns out to be the about the size and weight of the 14mm f/2.8, it will end up in my bag for sure.

I think there is way too much emphasis placed on the WR of lenses.  I have used "regular" non WR lenses for 40+years of photography from the Alaskan north, to the tropics, and have never, ever had any issues with ANY lens.

Last september I spent 10 days shooting in, literally in tropical, humid, 90+ degree weather, including in the water with my X-T1, and the 18-55, Zeiss 12, 16 1.4 (yes, WR) and I had no issues with any of the equipment other than some minor sand-related stuff getting underneath the X-T1 on/off switch that made turning the camera on and off a two finger operation.  I have no rubber peeling, no distorted doors, nothing to this point and I'm well over 100,000 images (I would guess) with my X-T1.  

The WR means absolutely nothing to me. I have found ALL lenses to be extremely resilient when it comes to weather resistance as long as some common sense is exercised.

I absolutely agree with you. I have never had any issues with any of the lenses/cameras (including Fuji ones). Snowing, raining, hot... no matter. Had no problems with switching lenses even under rain... Just simple precautions

I just ordered the 23/2 today, expected delivery is on friday :)

There are many reasons why I choosed it over the 23/1.4

First of all it was the size, the 1.4 is too big for my taste - expecially as a "always on" lens.

Price/value also matters - I don't think that the 1.4 gives so much better results in comparison - and in combination with the size/weight it is just not worth to me.

AF Speed: I heard that the new 23/2 is blazing fast in af, and since the 23 will probably be my "always on" lens, I appreciate the speed for my playing daughter.

I had a X100s a few years ago, so I know that f2 will give me enough room for low light and subject separation. And I also have a 35/1.4 for certain situations where the aperture is needed.

And last but not least - 23mm is not always 23mm! According to different previews, the new 23/2 seems to be a little bit wider than 23mm.

This is something I really appreciate, because it gives a little more room in certain situations and the step to my 35mm is not so close.

... and keep them in the bags until you are back in a hotel room? :D Seriously, how long does it take to cool them befor you unzip this protection?

Not long at all!   I don't know as i don' set a timer.  Again:  This whole manufacturers WR stuff is just bullshit.  Don't get me wrong, I've taken cameras in and out of heat and cold rooms and cars and had them fog up horribly and again, it's no big deal.   And btw, I don't keep anything in a bag while in or out of cars/rooms.  

Not long at all! I don't know as i don' set a timer. Again: This whole manufacturers WR stuff is just bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I've taken cameras in and out of heat and cold rooms and cars and had them fog up horribly and again, it's no big deal. And btw, I don't keep anything in a bag while in or out of cars/rooms.

As someone who always carries a camera in an extremely dusty environment, I can assure you that proper wr is no joke. I've been able to cut my sensor cleaning down to twice a year from six since I replaced the 56mm by the 35mm f2.

Does WR also prevent the development of fungus? Though the electronics may break before that becomes an issue.

Don't think anything will prevent fungus. In this respect WR is like a double edge sword. Keeps it out but once inside, it also keeps it in.

Some theory suggests that a well ventilated lens design doesn't capture moisture as much.

From what I know, WR lenses still breathes, just controlled breathing as the design calls for very specific air tunneling.

Best bet is still to store all lenses well and clean. WR or not.

WR will it help? I live in Thailand I had a lot of Nikon equipment D3 biggest lens 200 to 400mm. All my Nikon lens suffered from mold growth, the only help or comment I could get was take to the nearest service center. The big 200 to 400mm zoom had to be sent back to Japan to get fixed at quite a high cost needless to say.

For some time I had been having problems with the size and weight of the Nikon kit plus the inability to discus the issue with someone from Nikon prompted me to look for something smaller, mirror-less. In the past I had great service from the Olympus OM film cameras they withstood the bangs of pro use. Alas when I held the Olympus kit it was too small for my hand and couldn't get a steady grip. AND then I held the EXPro1 wow, so natural a feel and maybe retro appearance/controls for an old like me. Then the XT1 came along, a marriage born in heaven Then the EXT2 now.

I have used for many years a large Alite humidity controlled cabinet it didn't save the Nikon kit I am hoping the Fuji kit is going to be better. TIME WILL TELL. All my lens have WR.

Maybe I am misguided but if something does go wrong I will get more interaction with Fuji.

I live in Thailand too, never had a problem with any Fuji lens but my xt1 got smashed up and the guys at Fuji Bangkok were great, got a new camera for quarter price of original so I'm sure if u need to send back the lenses to them they can assist. Like I said in my original post I have used my Fuji lenses in all conditions and while not being over careless with them they have not had any faults ( touchwood ) :)