Backbutton Focusing

CuzinVin29

Finally, the way hshim describes setting up the AF-L button to lock focus until pressed again makes sense to this old geezer.

What would make this really useable for me, would to be able to disconnect shutter/focus in My Menu (Q button).

Is this possible?

I'm really struggling up the steep side of the learning curve at the moment, with the camera's control ethos being so different from my previous cameras - But I'm loving it.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

The problem for me is; after the X-Pro1 and X-E1, Fuji got AF-L wrong on all cameras. The button is too small and in the wrong place. For the record, I shoot with my left eye.

I have found the AFL buttons location something that takes a bit of getting use to.  But once you get use to it, I don't think the location is a big deal.

But the button on XT1/XT2 is too small.  I have a dirt cheap fix that works great.  At my local craft store (Michael's) I purchased for a couple of bucks a small pack of stick-on buttons.  They come in different sizes.  They look like a ball bearing that has been cut in half.  They are black.  They have 2-sided sticky tape on them.  In this small $2 pack were the size that is the same size as the AFL button.  I stuck one on the body and one on the vertical battery grip.  This small convex button (shaped like 1/2 a ball bearing) works perfect in that it is easy to find the button when my eye is to the view finder and makes the button slightly larger, thus easier to press.

I've had this mod on my camera body and vertical grip for a couple months now with success.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder with the increased number of focus points and the speed of focusing, if back button focusing is beneficial anymore these days. I found back button focusing beneficial when I had to focus recompose. But with the focus points, I can move the focus point to the desired point of focus and just half press and press. The decoupling the shutter button and focusing doesn't seem that helpful in that situation.