Capture One Pro 9 Film Simulations incl. ACROS

@fleckintosh and @Ario: The result is awesome! Thanks a lot!

I compared these film simulations with the C1 Extended Filmstyle Set. The result is much more subtle and much better aligned to the JPEGs straight from the camera. I definitively recommend using these styles, not the ones from C1.

The procedure is a bit complex, so let me summarize for all the newcomers. The result will be, that these great Fuji film simulations provided by fleckinthosh are saved as C1 ICC profiles, specific for your camera (X-T1, X-Pro2, X-T2) and can be used regulary in C1 under Basic Characteristics without any hassles:

1) Download the ICC files from Dropbox-Download, either for X-T1 or X-Pro2 (look at the end of the file name for X-Pro2). I used the X-Pro2 files for my X-T2, because the X-T2 has the same sensor as the X-Pro2. So far, all works fine.

2) Copy the downloaded files to the correct C1 directory. The directory locations are:

On a Mac system the custom ICC profile will be located in: Users/UserX/Library/Colorsync/Profiles

On a Windows system the profiles will be located in: Users/UserX/AppData/CaptureOne/Color Profiles

3) Start C1, select a picture taken with the camera you want to save the film simulation for (i.e. X-T1, X-Pro2 or X-T2, depending on the files you downloaded)

4) Apply the desired profile to this picture (taken with the selected camera, i.e. X-T1, X-Pro2 or X-T2), by selecting this profile from Base Characteristics/ICC Profiles/Fuji/XT-1 (the tool Base Characteristics is in the Color Tool Tab)

5) Open the Advanced Color Editor

6) Save settings as ICC profile giving a useful name (the correct camera name is already there). I did use a naming as "FujiXT2-C_1.Provia", where "C" stands for "color", and "FujiXT2-B_1.Acros", with "B" for Black & White. With the numbering, all appears later in a nice order

7) Close C1, go to the Color Profiles directory and delete the temporary files (the ones downloaded)

8) Start C1 again, go to the Color Tool Tab and Base Characteristics, then choose under ICC Profiles the option only display recommended. Then only the ICC profiles matching the camera used will be shown and the list of ICC profiles becomes much shorter and better in overview

From then on, you can select the Fuji film style from Base Characteristic/ICC Profiles and the result is already shown in the picture, when the cursor is located over the style name. Because I do that very first, I have added the tool Base Characteristics in the Lens Correction Tool Tab, then I apply lens correction and film simulation in one go.

That's it.

wow! thanks for the detail explanation!!!

Hi - when I use the FujiXT1-10. ACROS G (X-Pro2).icc file, it shows in colour rather than mono. It's in the same place as all the others. Is it a fault with the profile, or do I need to do something else in CO 10? The other ACROS profile works beautifully.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I can't access or find that folder on my Mac using Go, even plugging in my user name.

@fleckintosh and @Ario: The result is awesome! Thanks a lot!

I compared these film simulations with the C1 Extended Filmstyle Set. The result is much more subtle and much better aligned to the JPEGs straight from the camera. I definitively recommend using these styles, not the ones from C1.

The procedure is a bit complex, so let me summarize for all the newcomers. The result will be, that these great Fuji film simulations provided by fleckinthosh are saved as C1 ICC profiles, specific for your camera (X-T1, X-Pro2, X-T2) and can be used regulary in C1 under Basic Characteristics without any hassles:

1) Download the ICC files from Dropbox-Download, either for X-T1 or X-Pro2 (look at the end of the file name for X-Pro2). I used the X-Pro2 files for my X-T2, because the X-T2 has the same sensor as the X-Pro2. So far, all works fine.

2) Copy the downloaded files to the correct C1 directory. The directory locations are:

On a Mac system the custom ICC profile will be located in: Users/UserX/Library/Colorsync/Profiles

On a Windows system the profiles will be located in: Users/UserX/AppData/CaptureOne/Color Profiles

• 2 weeks later...

I installed approximately as MUrs explained, although it was not exact. I have two issues:

1) When I choose the Only Display Recommended option, the profiles do not show.

2) More important, the .icm file gets linked to each photo's settings, and it's 200kb each time. Is this supposed to happen?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been stuck with LR for so long, but after seeing these color profiles, I've made the jump to C1!  Already my shots look cleaner!  But the Fuji profiles don't work for me.  They're listed under ICC profile list, but regardless of which one I select, they all have the same effect... slight desaturation.  I'm using 10.1.2, is there something else I need to do to get them to work?

Thanks!

I've been stuck with LR for so long, but after seeing these color profiles, I've made the jump to C1!  Already my shots look cleaner!  But the Fuji profiles don't work for me.  They're listed under ICC profile list, but regardless of which one I select, they all have the same effect... slight desaturation.  I'm using 10.1.2, is there something else I need to do to get them to work?

Thanks!

Follow the instructions in post #75 earlier in this thread. They didn't work exactly for me, but I managed eventually.

Follow the instructions in post #75 earlier in this thread. They didn't work exactly for me, but I managed eventually.

So I took a look at the files I downloaded from DropBox and they were incorrectly downloaded! Working great now thanks!!

Edited by upwithmike

I've tried following the instructions but the color profiles are not stores in c:\users\username\appdata\captureone\colorprofiles.... they are stored (at least in Win10) in c:\programfiles\phase one\captureone10\colorprofiles\dslr.  If I try copying the profiles to the appdata folder, they do not show in the ICC choices in C1.  If I put them in the programfiles folder, they show up but don't actually work.

Can you tell me what you had to do to get them working?

Mine are stored in C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Color Profiles in Win 10. The instructions in #75 left out the "local" part of the  folder name, I think.

With step #6, save settings, I think there was an option in the tool to import the file, and you name it as you import it. Tried many options, and i think this was the key thing, but I may be confused because I tried many things.

I also had to convert one profile at a time. In other words, do the full process for each profile fully, rather than do a bunch at a time.

The method I used was quite different, and I though of documenting it, but I wasn't sure that I had done it correctly or not. So many people said the original method worked, and I thought maybe I had just got it wrong and managed to fudge it differently.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to FujiFilm as I just purchased an X-T2 in May. I have been evaluating Capture 1 Pro 10 for the last week and have so far been quite impressed. Finding these ICC profiles was a great surprise. Thank you for all the time and effort in creating these!

By the way -- I just discovered in canceling my Adobe CC subscription that they are currently providing a free 60 day extension of the subscription and then waving the cancelation fee (50% of remaining subscription).

Edited by MSM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Recently made the switch to COne from LR and am looking to add Scottie Wang's ICC Profiles for the X-E1. When I click on links Dropbox gives a message saying "File not found."

I have the X-T1 profiles and they work fine, but I'd like to add the profiles to the X-E1 as I have plenty of photos from before I switched to the X-T1. I've tried using the X-Pro2 files found in the same location as the X-T1 files, but they didn't work. Guessing I need X Trans 1 files.

Any idea of where I can find X-E1 ICC Profiles/Film Simulations to download?

Yellow color may not be mapped correctly with the Velvia profile.

Otherwise this profile is quite well done.

Raw sample from Imaging Resource here

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Here is a completely reworked, refined Set of ICC Profiles for Capture One, made for X-T1. It matches the In-Camera Filmsimulations much better than the original Set, which I posted last October here

Another Set, made for X-Pro2, Incl. ACROS ICC Profiles, is also included in this post. I renamed them to have an alternative Option for my X-T1. These ICC are slightly different, Blacks & Shadows & Colors are more decent. 

Enjoy!

Dropbox-Download

Hello,

I am Daniel from Germany and totally new in Fuji. I have been switching from C1 with Sony A7ii to Fuji x-t20 and maybe to x-t2. Does your profile just work for the x-t2? Sorry for thump questions :).

Nice regards

Daniel

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's a much easier way to rename these profiles, which is to just change the filename outside of Capture One. In my case, for example, I'm happily using the X-Pro2 files for an X-T20 and what I did was the following:

• Rename each file from the original name to your desired name, for example "FujiXT1-1. Provia (X-Pro2).icc" to "FujiXT20-01. Acros Provia.icc"
  • With Capture One closed, copy the files to the appropriate system folder (in my case it was "C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 10\Color Profiles\DSLR")
  • Open Capture One and the files will appear with the correct profile names. In my case, for example, the "FujiXT20-01. Acros Provia.icc" profile appears as "01. Acros Provia"

In other words, as long as you keep the prefix for your camera, e.g. "FujiXT2-", "FujiXT20-", "FujiXPro1-", you can just rename the file whatever you want to appear in the drop-down menu. One thing to keep an eye out for is that if any of the the filenames include a leading space, Capture One will crash on startup, or at least that happened for me. It's possible that other characters will also induce a crash, so keep an eye out. If it's crashing on startup for you, check your filenames.

Also, note that I've added a leading 0 to the number in the filename so that they sort properly in the drop-down menu if you number the monochrome profiles as well, otherwise the order will be 1. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 2. 3. and so on.

Now, a question for everybody: If I'm using one of the aRGB profiles but I use sRGB in my output recipe, will I be getting the correct results from my RAW files? Fleckintosh mentions in post #25 that "...you can export them with C1 settings to sRGB", which is a bit unclear. Just to confirm, does that mean that as long as I'm exporting to sRGB these profiles are RGB-agnostic with RAW files?

Hi,

Color Simulation is all about pleasing color. 

As illustrated, the affected area is well over blown. 
It may not affect all your post processing as the highlight for this particular case is very close to extreme, RGB readout is around (253, 251.228) with C1 Generic profile and with output (in Process Recipes) set to Adobe RGB.

The profile creator may be able fix it, if feedback.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks to Ario and Flecintosh for providing these great film simulations. I've been using them since I first bought the X-T2 and switched over to Capture One Pro.

I initially stored them in Capture One Pro/Contents/Frameworks/AppCore.Framework/Resource/Profiles and they worked just fine. (After renaming the files from xx.icc to xx.icm.)

The only problem was that with every new Capture One Update I had to reinstall the color profiles in the new C1 version. Not such a big deal but a couple of days ago with the arrival of C1P 10.2 I decided to go the other way. I deleted the profiles from the above mentioned place and then placed the original icc profiles in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles.

Two problems occurred. The images to which I already assigned a profile earlier, didn't have a profile anymore (since I deleted them). So I had to redo all those photo's. I was a little disappointed but in the end it didn't take that long. The second problem though I haven't solved yet. Every single time I open C1P and open the ICC-profile menu the program hangs en gives me the beach ball. I hangs for about 50 secs to a minute.

In this thread I read that it would take Capture One Pro a couple of restarts to fix this. By now we're 4 or 5 days later and I have quited and reopend C1P for at least 15 or 20 times and I still get the beach ball each and every time I start up the program and go to the Icc-profile menu. After this first hang, the profiles are accessable in a click, that is untill I quit C1P and later open it again. Then I get the beach ball.

Do any of you have an idea how to solve this? My first thought was to put the profiles in the same location where I put them first, but then I guess I will have to re-assign a profile to all my (developed) images again.

Cheers,

Hi,

Thanks to Ario and Flecintosh for providing these great film simulations. I've been using them since I first bought the X-T2 and switched over to Capture One Pro.

I initially stored them in Capture One Pro/Contents/Frameworks/AppCore.Framework/Resource/Profiles and they worked just fine. (After renaming the files from xx.icc to xx.icm.)

The only problem was that with every new Capture One Update I had to reinstall the color profiles in the new C1 version. Not such a big deal but a couple of days ago with the arrival of C1P 10.2 I decided to go the other way. I deleted the profiles from the above mentioned place and then placed the original icc profiles in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles.

Two problems occurred. The images to which I already assigned a profile earlier, didn't have a profile anymore (since I deleted them). So I had to redo all those photo's. I was a little disappointed but in the end it didn't take that long. The second problem though I haven't solved yet. Every single time I open C1P and open the ICC-profile menu the program hangs en gives me the beach ball. I hangs for about 50 secs to a minute.

In this thread I read that it would take Capture One Pro a couple of restarts to fix this. By now we're 4 or 5 days later and I have quited and reopend C1P for at least 15 or 20 times and I still get the beach ball each and every time I start up the program and go to the Icc-profile menu. After this first hang, the profiles are accessable in a click, that is untill I quit C1P and later open it again. Then I get the beach ball.

Do any of you have an idea how to solve this? My first thought was to put the profiles in the same location where I put them first, but then I guess I will have to re-assign a profile to all my (developed) images again.

Cheers,

Just put them back back inside the app folder Capture One Pro/Contents/Frameworks/AppCore.Framework/Resource/Profiles. Thats the way to avoid the annoying lag every time you start C1.

If you change the location of the profiles with existing, edited images, you should apply ONLY the profile from the new location. 

C1 doesn't know that it is the same profile. If you change the location of the profile, C1 does not find it anymore. The link to the profile is then a dead end. So you end up with a "blank" profile. 

Thanks for your reply Fleckintosh, I guess you're right. Yesterday it looked like everything was finally allright, but today when I first opened C1P I had the beach ball spinning again. So I'll move the files back to where I kept them originally.

Edited by Canticleer

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Flekintosh (and Scotty)!!

Long-time Fuji X user who just added a Sony A7 to the mix. I've dabbled in C1 in the past, but am deeply mired in the LR world for DAM. I'm finally ready to switch to C1 for editing.

Ran one Sony file through it with a few basic tweaks to tone curves and sharpening and was absolutely FLOORED by how much better the results were compared to LR. And I am no slouch with LR editing, if I may say. I'm ready to start transitioning fully. Not looking for one-click solutions, I'd be thrilled to just get an approximation of Fuji colors as a jumping-off point for further tweaks to Sony files.

My question then - any suggestions on how to rename the files for a Sony A7? I'm assuming the procedure would be basically the same, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Thanks man, great work! Now even my .nef files looks great.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello!

Thanks for your links.

I've just downloaded the profiles from dropbox. However whenever I try to apply them to a photo, and 'Events' box pops up and says missing ICC profile. It happened when I tried to use profiles from another download. I've tried restarting my Capture One but no luck. I've downloaded the profiles under Colorsync - Profiles - . Is that correct?

I apply them by going through the base characteristics tab. I'm attempting to apply them to photos taken on my Fujifilm XT1. Oh and I'm using Capture One 9. 

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks a lot! 

Ed