My Lightroom is unbearably slow with XPro2 files

Everyone knows that loading RAF files into lightroom takes a long time, and while it sucks, that's not my problem. Once everything is loaded up, and I'm trying to browse/edit my photos, it's like moving through molasses. Even moving to the next photo in the library module can take two or three seconds. 

Transitioning from Library to Develop module takes around 10-15 seconds before it's usable.

After adjusting the exposure slider, there is around a two second delay before the adjustment appears on the screen. More intensive sliders take longer. I make an adjustment, and I have to wait and see if it looks good, and then go back and re-adjust, because it won't happen live.

Moving to the next photo in the develop module take five or more seconds.

I'm using a Windows 10 laptop with an i7 processor, 32 gigs of ram, and a fast SSD with tons of free space on it. I haven't made any major changes to the performance settings in Preferences.

I guess my main question is, what are the chances that I'm doing something wrong with my settings, or my library? It seems impossible to me that it's just this bad for everyone. Trying to intensively edit 30 or more photos leaves me with a sense of dread.

Hi,

you don't say which version of Lightroom you're using, but the following solution should work anyway.

A bit of tech background: I still use an iMac from mid 2011 with the DIY addition of an SSD and 24Gb of Ram. And I shoot with an X-T10, a Sony A7r (36Mp) and with medium format, on film that once scanned is around 100Mp per frame.

The only time I experienced what you describe I was this close to buy a new computer, but then I noticed that with the same files Photoshop was still super fast, so it had to be something Lightroom-related.

And in the end it was: apparently, Lightroom has a long term bug. If you happen to have too many developing presets it starts rendering previews in background for every image you're browsing with every preset you have installed, so it slows down to a crawl.

Keeping only the presets I use more often completely solved the problem for me.

If instead you happen to be still be using a 6.* version, you might want to read this post of mine:

http://www.addicted2light.com/2015/10/19/how-to-solve-lightroom-6-2-and-6-2-1-slow-downs/

And for some other possible solution found on various forums read the first half of this post:

http://www.addicted2light.com/2015/01/25/how-to-cure-lightroom-5-slow-down/

Good luck!

And btw, Adobe should really redesign the engine of Lightroom if they still want money for it...otherwise even if it'll be a major pain I'll change software.

Edited by addicted2light

Hi,

you don't say which version of Lightroom you're using, but the following solution should work anyway.

A bit of tech background: I still use an iMac from mid 2011 with the DIY addition of an SSD and 24Gb of Ram. And I shoot with an X-T10, a Sony A7r (36Mp) and with medium format, on film that once scanned is around 100Mp per frame.

The only time I experienced what you describe I was this close to buy a new computer, but then I noticed that with the same files Photoshop was still super fast, so it had to be something Lightroom-related.

And in the end it was: apparently, Lightroom has a long term bug. If you happen to have too many developing presets it starts rendering previews in background for every image you're browsing with every preset you have installed, so it slows down to a crawl.

Keeping only the presets I use more often completely solved the problem for me.

If instead you happen to be still be using a 6.* version, you might want to read this post of mine:

http://www.addicted2light.com/2015/10/19/how-to-solve-lightroom-6-2-and-6-2-1-slow-downs/

And for some other possible solution found on various forums read the first half of this post:

http://www.addicted2light.com/2015/01/25/how-to-cure-lightroom-5-slow-down/

Good luck!

And btw, Adobe should really redesign the engine of Lightroom if they still want money for it...otherwise even if it'll be a major pain I'll change software.

I'm using the most updated version of CC.

I'll try paring down my presets. I have a bunch of the VSCO presets so hopefully that will help. Thanks for the tips. 

You're welcome, let us know if you manage to solve the problem!

Deleting a great deal of my presets seems to have had an effect. It's still not nearly instant like I would hope it would be with my hardware setup, but it's certainly more tolerable. Thanks for the tip. You've saved me quite a bit of frustration.