Video editing recommendations

Hi all,

Since the X-T2 will have vastly improved video capabilities, I'm considering dipping my toes in video again. It's been a decade since I did any serious video editing. Any recommendations on a software package considering the following?

- Windows compatible

- Not hilariously expensive

- Easy-ish to learn

What do you intend to do? 4k? are you ready for the enormous files sizes and only 24/25/30p? If its for normal viewing would 1080p be sufficient, if so consider consider virtualdub for initial tweaks and then filmconvert for grading, you can join the clips and add fades in lots of packages after that including free packages like gopro studio

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use Sony Vegas.  I've tried Premiere and it made me want to just stop editing video.  You can get the lower end and it isn't too expensive.  Great multitrack audio editor too.

It's 'Sony' Vegas no more. Just Vegas Pro, as Creative Software (the company that made Vegas since Sonic Foundry) was bought by the german company Magix. Anyhow, the last version is still the best and easiest to learn editor in the market (if you need a quick and 'one man band' workflow). And the audio options are the best, no doubt.

http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/

It's 'Sony' Vegas no more. Just Vegas Pro, as Creative Software (the company that made Vegas since Sonic Foundry) was bought by the german company Magix. Anyhow, the last version is still the best and easiest to learn editor in the market (if you need a quick and 'one man band' workflow). And the audio options are the best, no doubt.

http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/

Ah, I upgraded to version 12, but hadn't looked at the company much since then.  I remember when Sony bought them, but didn't realize they were sold.  

For many people, the Vegas Studio is enough video editor.  

Be aware that even some of the free software (Lightworks & DaVinci Resolve) have very high graphic card demands. Be sure to check their lists of approved CPUs, GPUs, RAM, etc. I tried the free version of Resolve a generation or two ago but couldn't even open in on my iMac. They are very capable editors but were originally developed for color correction. But no harm in trying 'em out.

• 3 weeks later...

+2 for davinci resolve the free version. You can really play around with the color.

BTW, set your camera

film simulation NS

Highlight -2

Shadow-2

Color-3

Etc

In other words make it as flat as you can, then you can pull it all back in, also watch your histogram.

I'm about to sell my GH4.

• 1 year later...

Hmmm all requirements are satisfied by Movavi Video Editor (https://www.movavi.com/videoeditor/). The price pleasantly surprises, software is user-friendly and easy to understand. As I know, they have products for Mac and Windows. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...