X-T2 should i buy it.

Ron1978

I am really on the fence on this. Should I buy the x-t2 or start with an x-t1 or maybe even an x-t10?

I am a newbie to all this kinda camera stuff but I have been following the x-t2 for a long time now.

Just afraid I get overwhelmed with all the buttons and switches and stuff. But I just love the look and specs.

Plus it is not like I just spend 100 euro :P

That is the real question.

The majority of new model buyers would shoot things with the X pro 2 and the X-T2 in the same way and having the same results that they could have obtained from a X-E1  or a X-Pro 1 for that matter and even then, they would have had more camera than they have photographic skills.

Nevertheless most new buyers will go for the newest camera, whether they are able to unleash its maximum potential or not. It’s the way it is and it is always been.

Personally, I am not upgrading. I am happy with the X-T1.

I am waiting for generation 3. Then and only then I will consider an upgrade.

If you buy the best you can, and if its capabilities are greater then yours you can grow into it, what I'm saying is definitely buy the X-T2 if you can afford it :D

Yes ... but if you mainly photograph stills, or slow moving subjects, would the new features of the X-T2 really make a difference? I don't think my photography would improve even a bit if I would upgrade to the X-T2.

We can all only make our own decisions.

Personally if I was buying a new camera today, and money was no object the choice would be between the X-T2 and X-Pro2.

When I last purchased a camera, the choice was between the X-T1, the X-T10, and X-E2, at this time, the X-E2 had not had the firmware update to upgrade the autofocus, so I decided it was between the two X-T cameras.

In the end I went with the X-T10, as I thought the advantages of the X-T1 (weather sealing, faster card speed/bigger buffer, and ISO dial were not worth £400 for a camera that takes the same photos (the difference pays for a lens)

the ISO dial is easily replaced by using a function button, the other two I'll live without

When it comes to my next upgrade (wont be any time soon) it will depend on what is available at the time, presently their is no XT-20 to compare against.

The differences between the XT2 and 1, 24MP to 16MP, dual memory card slots (useful for professional work) to a single, and faster auto focus with more PDAF.

​But it is at a significant price premium (at least in UK) with the X-T2 almost double the price of the X-T1  or 3.3 times the price of the X-T10

You all may excellent points. I realise I won't make better pictures with an X-T2 however the 24MP and new features of the X-T2 make me feel like its more future proof. In the Netherlands, the price for the X-T1 is still not dropping still 1600 for the camera with kit lens. X-T2 1999 with kit lens. Any thoughts about how much cheaper the X-T1 might get. The current promo is pathetic unless you buy an expensive lens but still not an amazing promo.  I considered the X-T10 but it just doesn't look nice.

Edited by Ron1978

Doesn't look nice, or doesn't handle nice?

If you want to save on the X-T1, keep an eye at the various outlets. That's how I managed to buy an X-T1 (demo, 24 months warranty, camera like new) for a bit less than €900 recently. That only works when you are not in a hurry to buy something, of course.

Edited by johant

I think its a bit 2 small tbh. My current camera broke down and i am heading to Japan the end of October. So i really need something otherwise i would have waited a bit more. Of course i still want to make a good choice and not just buy something.

Edited by Ron1978

The price of the X-T2 in the Netherland is still not determined, you are ordering it and then you will see exactly what you pay when it will become available in two months. This is as true of the camera body alone as it is in any combinations. It might very well become more if the Euro gets anymore hits against the US $.

LET OP! De officiële lancering van de X-T2 body staat op halverwege september 2016 met een verwachtte verkoopprijs van €1699,-. Zodra de camera bij ons binnenkomt lopen wij als eerste de pre-order lijst af. U betaalt nu 500 euro. Het resterende bedrag rekent u af zodra de camera bij ons voorraadig is.

The price difference between a barely used X-T1 and a X-T2 buys you a lot of Fuji glass and even a lot more Samyang glass.

Furthermore, what is there in 24Mp that isn’t in 16Mp?

My lab assures me they can print 2m x 1m professional quality from 16Mp, how big are your prints, if you print anything at all? There is nothing in 24Mp that makes is more “ future proof” it is only a larger number that appeals the feeling to ( It goes to 11) but means very little in itself.

Edited by milandro

My point was to point out that IMHO, probably very badly put that if you have the ability to purchase either an X-T2 or an X-T1 then it would in the long term pay dividends to go for the X-T2!

As soon as possible I'm voting with my wallet, because the toolbox is filling up with IMHO better tools!

That is not to say that other models will not produce super photos, OK.

My current camera broke down and i am heading to Japan the end of October. So i really need something otherwise i would have waited a bit more. Of course i still want to make a good choice and not just buy something.

You have a real chance not to get T2 before the trip. Sales are scheduled only. We cannot to see the future but we have seen various delays in past.

In such situation, I would go to the choice of T1/T10/E2/E2S range depend of personal points and actual availability at local shops.

well, some time in the future, when X-T3 will become available, even the X-T2 will lose a lot of value compared to new, in fact, if you buy as soon at it becomes available you will for sure lose the most possible that you can lose.

Instead, the best possible strategy is to wait.

If you buy a X-T1 now in the Netherlands from one of the so many who are rushing into buying a camera that is not there yet, you can buy one for as little as €650, buying one with a lens or two will be even cheaper.

By the time you have been shooting hundreds of pictures, the X-T2 would have become cheaper ( probably not in the NL but some place else) and you can still resell you X-T1 body for a decent price and if you buy carefully it won’t cost you anything.

I like the fact that the X-T2 has more megapixels that gives a little more room to crop, and for me I like that idea! The improvements to the focusing have been well documented. There are also other "improvements" which will only make Fujifilm photography more pleasant, that's enough for me to upgrade. My purchase of an X-T1 was only ever a stopgap while waiting fo the X-T2, having said that the X-T1 experience has not been disappointing, roll on September!!

PS: I note that Amazon USA has reduced the X-T2 price by a whole 95cents.

Edited by Mike G

more room to crop to do what? Screen viewing? Printing?

Even for this you can have 25% of the area left and still print way larger than anyone normally would.

But like for politics these days talking sense doesn’t seem to be changing the mind of those who have already made up their mind and follow they gut feeling rather than their best judgement.

Good luck with your new camera.

Cropping galore!

I use cropping as an after shot adjustment and also straightening. I seem to have a talent for not getting my horizontals horizontal.

Yes Milandro I do have an X -T2 on order and I fully intend to enjoy it and also improve my Fuji experience.

Ya pays ya money - so it's you're choice, different strokes for different folks.

How often do you read that the X-Pro 2 is an improvement over the X-Pro 1, lots!

A thing to remember, which may (or may not) play a role in your decision ... the more resolution the sensor has, the better your lenses need to be. Fortunately even the Fujinon zoom lenses are quite good, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind.

Everyone uses cropping to that end but the only thing that matters is what you do with what you shoot  and if that is  looking at pictures on your computer screen 12, 24 or 36 Mp, are just as good.

Even 12 Mp are enough for prints larger than what most people will ever do.

But again a lot of people buy things because they can not because they need to. Enjoy your camera.

I think its a bit 2 small tbh. 

I too felt that about the X-T10. But I ended up with one, and the second you add a 10€ ebay-or-amazon-special, Chinese knock-off (extremely well made) Arca compatible L-bracket with grip the handling of the camera becomes perfect. And it will still be slightly smaller than an X-T1, with the same capabilities except:

- weather sealing (but if it's light rain I don't care, I'll just use a microfiber cloth to dry the camera now and then; and if it's pouring I'll use a plastic cover anyway)

- a smaller finder (but of the same resolution, and extremely good IMO)

- the inability to use a bigger eyecup (unless you go for the DIY route)

- a dedicated ISO dial (that you can map anyway to the pressing of the front dial and/or in the Q menu)

As for the potentialities of 16Mp files I suggest you give a cursory reading and a look at the samples to another post of mine, where I compared the files from the X-T10 to my Sony A7r (36Mp):

Fuji X-T10 vs Sony A7r for landscapes, with samples

And for more samples:

Giving the boot to Sony? A7r vs Fuji X-T10

Edited by addicted2light