I know this camera is of little interest to pretty much all of this forum, however I feel it could be an interesting product in one of the following situations

The X-A3 gets upgraded to the X-trans 2 sensor and hybrid autofocus that is in the XT1/10 and XE2(s), which would at least make a nice 2nd body with identical photo quality (just missing features/viewfinder)
an optional viewfinder X-70 like, would be good, combined with the Xtrans 2, would make a nice upgradable camera, allowing new buyers that are coming from mobile phone cameras to dip their feet into the Fuji x world, and have a nice upgrade to the viewfinder, without having to purchase a whole new body when they fall in love with Fuji X (even if the total cost of the combo is more than just buying a XT10/E2(s) )

Or It gets upgraded to the sensor in the Sony Alpha 6000/5100 and Hybrid autofocus, given it a boost to 24MP bayer sensor (the sony 24MP sensor is over 2 years old now)

A light weight body and tilt screen is great for street, pair it with the XF27mm F/2.8 or 18mm F/2 and the combo is tiny.

However if it remains a 16MP Bayer sensor, I do not know what the can add to justify its release, although the changes from the X-A1 to 2 were minimal (screen became a full flip, can't remember any others atm)

The updated XC lenses were another change.

What I would like to see is a new push into more XC lenses (primes) to support the entry level camera(s) there is nothing wrong with the XC zooms, yes the build quality is lower and they are made of plastic and slower.

I'm like most people and love the fast lenses and great build quality of the XF lenses, however for stuff that is outside my normal shooting such as landscape and interior photography, where I need something wider than 16/18mm, i'm not going to spend several hundred £ on a lens that will be used very occasionally, but I may spend a couple of hundred on a slower wide angle e.g. a 8mm or 12mm F/2.8/ or F/4 for the benefit of still having autofocus, etc.

Also for those learning photography they may want the classic focal lengths 24, 35, 50, 85 to learn how to compose etc with them, but do not want to or can not invest large amounts of money, and do not need super wide apertures for low light or shallow DOF

my 2 cents in a board that has not had a post for months :)

There seems to be a will from Fuji to update to a X-A3, but whatever it will be, it would have to be a camera that has to be cheap and its “ integration” in the X system is more theoretical than it is practical.

These cameras ( X-A1 and X-A2) only , really, sold only in Asia in any great numbers (apparently they are big in Thailand).

The minimum sales that I saw around here (of the X-A1) happened mostly because they were offered at such a low price with the kit lenses that some folks bought the kit and sold the camera at some ridiculous prices. In Asia the kit might have included the sought after 27mm which was otherwise sold at a premium on its own. I bought my first 50-230 from someone whom had bought this camera and sold the lens that he didn’t want.

The red and blue leatherette models were sold at incredibly low prices,sometimes at a lot less than the tan or the “ pro”  ;)  :D  coloured black model which seemed to appeal more to a wester audience. There was also one very nice “ white” limited edition which apparently was sold only in Japan. Maybe something for the collector if there are collectors of these cameras anywhere.

The X-A2 really just about made it onto the Dutch market. After the disappointing sales of the previous model didn’t justify the shops to believe that the “ upgraded” tilt screen and the kit lenses (version II) would sell any better and indeed it didn’t. Despite the forward tilting screen and the kit lenses (the 27mm seemed to have no longer be offered as part of the kit since they could sell it for more on its own).

Then the whole thing was quickly discontinued. It has to be one of the shortest runs ever for a camera. They are still for sale but I can’t really see who their “ customer” would be since, if you are into the X-System you can buy better cameras for less second hand. Both X-A1 and 2 are barely offered on the secondhand market.

The problem, I think, is precisely that these cameras in the low segment offer a solution to a problem that is not there.

The average Fuji user in Europe, UK or USA, is not into cheap cameras and indeed the more expensive cameras do sell way better than the entry models. 

There will be some interested but I predict that the X-A3 will be just in the same league of its predecessors. :ph34r:

Is this Aps-C 24Mp not a X-Trans III?

Whether this would be a bayer sensor or an X-Trans is not at all clear to me, although the previous X-A1 and 2 were indeed equipped with one of those, it might very well be an X-trans.

My stance on pixel count is clear, although most people are bound to opt for the motto “ bigger is better” ( and that includes equipping the X-T2 with an extra battery holder which in my opinion nullifies any size advantages of a mirrorless camera over DSLR) in terms of usability it makes no to little consequence for the overwhelming majority of applications for both professional or amateur.

I have yet to find anyone who ( in practice not in so-called theory) has been able to tell me what was that they couldn’t do with 16Mp that they now can do with 24Mp.

But if people want more pixels ( for whatever reason, rational or not) they are gonna get them.

If rationality would play any role in human choices certain politicians would never put themselves to the public scrutiny, if this would be based on rationality that is, but they know very well that most people trust their guts more than they trust their brains...and you know what the guts are filled with. 

Well, we’ve heard that 24Mp X-Tras has the same resolution of 36Mp bayer, at least that’s what Fuji appears to have claimed.

Now, if that were Fuji’s position, it shouldn’t be a Bayer sensor. 

http://www.fujirumors.com/fuji-x-pro2-excellent-high-iso-at-12800-fast-af-100-convincing-wedding-with-x-pro2-ef-x500-images-more/

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/2056-24-mp-x-trans-iii-has-the-same-resoution-of-36mp-bayer-sensor/

might be... or not.

The practice has shown that the predecessor of these camera only sold in Asia and not in the rest of the world, by sticking to the Bayer processor they would replicate the same pattern of the past, while by means of using the same X-Trans processor, in the scale economy logic, will lower the production price while at the same time offering a real alternative on the lower segment of the digital photography.

On the other hand if this were true, it would necessarily mean that the X-70 or whatever it would be called by then ( X-70S?)  should receive a sensor update too, because otherwise the X-A3 with the 18mm would compete with the X-70.

I think that Fuji is trying to keep too many balls in the air and that all these cameras that show up only briefly on the market ( like the X-A2 and the X-M1) cost more than they deliver.

well, it is not by accident that ALL the cameras of the X system with interchangeable lenses were equipped with the X-Trans while only the cheapest of the all ( The X-A1 and 2) ever had a Bayer.

But yes, there was some debate about it...

http://www.fujirumors.com/x-trans-vs-bayer-round-2-riflessifotografici-dpreview-and-matts-feedback/

Edited by milandro

might be... or not.

The practice has shown that the predecessor of these camera only sold in Asia and not in the rest of the world, by sticking to the Bayer processor they would replicate the same pattern of the past, while by means of using the same X-Trans processor, in the scale economy logic, will lower the production price while at the same time offering a real alternative on the lower segment of the digital photography.

On the other hand if this were true, it would necessarily mean that the X-70 or whatever it would be called by then ( X-70S?)  should receive a sensor update too, because otherwise the X-A3 with the 18mm would compete with the X-70.

I think that Fuji is trying to keep too many balls in the air and that all these cameras that show up only briefly on the market ( like the X-A2 and the X-M1) cost more than they deliver.

The XE-2(s) and XT-10 already compete with the X70 both with the 18mm are in the same price range as the X70+OVF at least in UK

The X-A series is designed for the first time MILC/SLR buyer who does not want to invest large amounts on a body, but can then upgrade and keep the lenses, targeting people that want more than their iPhone can give them.

If it were to feature an XTrans 3/X-Pro processor with all the goodness that comes with it, and was priced at current X-A series level, it would potentially hurt sales of all X-Trans 2 cameras

The most used camera in the world (on flickr) does not have an EVF or OVF, and it makes phone calls

https://www.flickr.com/cameras

The camera we are talking about is the X-A 3, there is not (yet and or probably ever) an X-M2 ( X-M1 had a x-trans and was the worst selling camera of the X range).

think his point is if the XA-3 has an xtrans sensor it would be a replacement for the X-M series

• 2 months later...

The mouse which was born from mount Fuji has hit the shops here too.

Now you can buy this camera at (€549) approximately twice as much as the possible price that you could pay for a proper but discontinued camera such as the X-E2 ( I’ve sold mine for €300) or a X Pro 1 or X-E1.

But :rolleyes:  , hey!... Those two are cameras to take proper pictures of people and things, while this is a camera to take bad pictures of yourself! Oh! I forgot, 24Mp...essential for your huge selfies who no one is ever going to print!  :ph34r: