X30 Film Size

Finally got my X30!  It will take awhile to figure everything out, but I am wondering about the choices for film size.

I am used to 3:2 from decades of 35mm film shooting, and with my other X cameras, so wondering about choosing this rather than 4:3.

Thanks!

merlin

• 8 months later...

I am not sure whether this was ever answered, but I have been thinking along similar ways.

Until I got my fuji, I hadn't thought about aspect ratio, and with a Panasonic TZ40 travel camera that I used a fair amount for the last 2-3 years, I had instinctively set it to 16:9, so that the images would fill my wide screen TV if I wanted it to.

However, with a fresh flush of photo enthusiasm, I have been processing some of mine using PS Elements.  Nice portrait format pictures of tall church interiors in France.  But, in 16:9, I'm not getting enough width in portrait more, and I'm just getting tall narrow images.

So for now I'm experimenting with 4:3, as it will give me maximum crop flexibility whilst not losing any image size.

Whilst I appreciate that it isn't 35mm-equivalent 3:2, I am thinking that the old aspect ratio constraint might just be an unnecessary constraint.

Have you been using 3:2?

Hi Brian.  I haved been using 4:3 since I got the X30, particularly because this size gives the full resolution of the sensor.  I have not had any problems with this, even though my X-T1 and X100S are set to 3:2. 

It was very easy to become accustomed to the size, especially since I compose with the viewfinder, and the entire image is shown.

Edited by merlin