XF 18-55 OIS blurs my images

petergabriel

On some occasions - especially at the 18mm end - it seems like the OIS blurs my images. I can get like 3 in a row that are slightly blurred and then when I switch off the OIS the next images I shoot (same motives from same position) look just fine. Pin sharp. The pictures are taken in bright dayligt with high shutter speed and the motive is people 2-3 meters away from me. I have never seen the issue on the tele end and sometimes OIS seems to work just at the 18mm end as well. OIS is set on my x-pro 1 to continuous.

This makes me wonder if I would be better off swithing OIS off during the day and only use it when the shutter speed gets to slow, as it seems to be a little to active for my liking.

Edited by petergabriel

I was under the impression the OIS would need to be turned off if you're using a tripod because the OIS will try to correct the motion blur that is not there.

Though, I haven't had any issues turning it on, be it on a tripod or not.

Turn it off under 1/60th used to be the charm for me with the 18-55mm I based that on Fuji little orange yellow vibration alert. You will notice in your view (depending on what display option you have configured) a little wobbly hand icon appears when you go under the FUji recomended SS for the lens you are using. That was when I would usually consider either upping ISO or turning on stabilization depending on the nature of the shot.

an 18-55mm does not need to be stablized in good light. Something like the 55-200 or 50-140mm different story.

On some occasions - especially at the 18mm end - it seems like the OIS blurs my images. I can get like 3 in a row that are slightly blurred and then when I switch off the OIS the next images I shoot (same motives from same position) look just fine. Pin sharp. The pictures are taken in bright dayligt with high shutter speed and the motive is people 2-3 meters away from me. I have never seen the issue on the tele end and sometimes OIS seems to work just at the 18mm end as well. OIS is set on my x-pro 1 to continuous.

This makes me wonder if I would be better off swithing OIS off during the day and only use it when the shutter speed gets to slow, as it seems to be a little to active for my liking.

I was under the assumption (and we know what that means)  that OIS should be OFF if you are using high shutter speeds, or if the camera is on a tripod.  With that having been said, I've been using my 18-55 since February 2013 and I have not experienced this at all (except when I forget to turn OIS off when on a tripod).  Have you run any tests?  Have you made sure your technique is down pat and that it's not slight motion blur?  Have you tried this say by putting the camera on a rock steady surface and shooting a book, or something similar both with OIS on and OIS off?  I'm just wondering as I've never experienced that particular issue.  Hope you find a solution.

Some photos may be helpful here.

Without looking at any samples, it does sounds like your lens has issues. May be a good idea to return the lens.

I've been dealing with Nikon for a while now regarding the VR issues on one of my lenses. If you need to turn VR off (handheld) at any shutter speed to get sharp images, there's something wrong. Likely, the VR is not functioning correctly. On higher resolution cameras, you may need to let VR settle before taking the shot.

Currently both my Nikon body and lens has been sent back to Japan for further diagnostics pertaining to other issues as well. Awaiting results and advice.

One other thing has occured to me, when i had this lens the sharpness issue with OIS improved massively post a Lens firmware upgrade that specifically addressed OIS performance in this lens and the 555-200 and possibly the 18-135mm. It might be worth checking your lens is on the latest version of its firmware. 

G

Why would you want to keep a lens that has possible issues with the OIS?

Nikon advises that if the VR has issues, turning VR off won't always get you sharp images. As Fujifilm's OIS is a floating device, it'll depend on the physical position of the OIS lens when locked (or OIS off). I translate it to be a bit like Russian Roulette.

Why would you want to keep a lens that has possible issues with the OIS?

Nikon advises that if the VR has issues, turning VR off won't always get you sharp images. As Fujifilm's OIS is a floating device, it'll depend on the physical position of the OIS lens when locked (or OIS off). I translate it to be a bit like Russian Roulette.

Because I bought it used very cheap, and it works 95% of the time.