Rio de Janeiro Olympics with Fujifilm

HendrikOsula

Hi! As the games has begun, I thought it would be good idea to start a topic and maybe find other photographers at the Olympics, who use Fujifilm. Also I'll be posting pictures taken with my X-Pro2, so feel free to comment!

28689125782_80eac97ee5_h.jpgOpening Ceremony @Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

28176819804_3ae5c2ee3d_h.jpgOpening Ceremony @Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

28729173291_bcadc583f9_h.jpgIrina Embrich and Yiwen Sun @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

28701025682_1579943c06_h.jpgJulia Beljajeva @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

Edited by HendrikOsula

Estonian fencing team got to the semi-finals.

28629145570_c570137d74_h.jpgIrina Embrich @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 90/2

and lost there to China.

28631135920_babc7ebabc_h.jpgErika Kirpu @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 56/1,2

Edited by HendrikOsula

First day of track and field, will spend a lot of time here...

28903823666_a2aa0cc9ca_h.jpgCharles Jock @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 50-140/2,8

28650206900_39fd3b2ee2_h.jpgGerd Kanter @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 18/2

Also yesterday I saw one photographer from Japan who had also X-Pro2 and 35/2, so now there are atleast three of us! :)

Women's Marathon did pass my local beach, so didn't have to go too far to shoot it and get a bit different photos.

28980252875_4fc568c428_h.jpgBeata Naigambo @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 14/2,8

28948196826_cdade96b06_h.jpgMatea Matosevic @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 50-140/2,8

28694511500_c79440162a_h.jpg"Women's Marathon @Rio de Janeiro Olympics" by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 14/2,8

Great pics! You've really captured some great images! I enjoy how you show us some behind the scenes pics. Do you use the 100-400XF lens too or do you switch to your Canon for long shots like that?

Thank you for your kind words! It's good to have feedback!

Unfortunately I don't have 100-400, my longest lens is 50-140. So for longer reach I change to my Canon gear. To be honest, I feel that by not having longer lens on my Fuji, it makes me look for different angles and ways to shoot (which is quite difficult in such strict conditions as we have here in Olympics). That is why I always have both cameras with me - one for unique and more "artsy" shots and other for getting the shots I need to get. Also Fuji is quite an icebreaker, many guys has been asking me, how does it handle fast moving subjects and how good is the low light performance and many has been positively surprised when I show them shots taken with Fuji. So I feel like moving advertisement for Fuji :)

Great shots!  Can you give us some idea as to your settings on the Fuji gear?  Are you shooting only jpegs or shooting RAW?  What about film sims?  Just curious.  Keep up the great work!

You can see all the metadata if you visit the picture in Flickr. I always shoot RAW+N. Mainly I send jpegs to my iPad, then crop and upload to our system (it is a bit of a hassle as I can send pictures from Canon directly, but JPEGs from Fuji just looks better). Then after the event I import to LR (which is painfully slow with Fuji compared to Canon RAWs for some reason) and edit the files for future use. There has been some cases, where I find JPEGs good enough, but I always want to get the best out of my pictures, so mainly I edit RAWs. 

I have four different custom settings, which I change depending on the situation. Mainly I use Astia for outdoor shots and Pro Neg HI or Classic Crome for inside sports as Astia seems to oversaturate for my taste indoors.

After long, here are some wrestling shots also for you, both taken with x-pro2 and 50-140/2,8. If you have any questions, I'm more than ready to answer them!

28740246860_7ee22f1d0c_h.jpgWrestling @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

28740251740_95a927e241_h.jpgWrestling @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

and also one from yesterdays Basketball game between Lithuania and Croatia:

28400868214_bb841c4134_h.jpgCroatian bench @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 90/2

As our Estonian decathletes were far out of the game, I decided to shoot full day only with Fuji. That meant that I had to concentrate on portraits and emotions.

28790975140_b0f3daec32_h.jpgAshton Eaton @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 50-140/2,8

28456757354_19759cc0c4_h.jpgAshton Eaton at the Finish @Rio de Janeiro Olympics by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 50-140/2,8

I'm working on Rio 2016, at athletics stadium. Sometimes I'm on the press x-ray, and I'm looking closely a Fuji X camera pass, but nothing. Only at the end of the Bolt's race, I saw a guy holding a X-T2 with a grip battery, I went there and greeted him.

I've been there all the time with my X100T, and I challenged me to take a Bolt's race picture with my X100T, an intimate camera that was not made for sports. So, there he was. As a intimate camera I could be near without disturbing your concentration, he breathed deep before the show, and entred the track toward its 9 gold medal. I ran to the stands, so enabled the burst mode, and shot. Although the X100T not be a camera for sports, its handled very well. Take a look the result.

All shot with Fuji X100T and original 23mm f/2 lens:

First of all, I'm really glad to hear such a great feedback! I thank you all!

Lamartiny, I think I saw you with your X100T on the stadium! Great shot of Bolt coming out of the waiting room! Fuji is challenging, but this makes you think differently, right!

Yesterday I took time off from sports and taped my X-T1 and X-Pro2 to make them more robust and less noticeable. With only 56/1,2 and 14/2,8 on my bodies I went for Sugarloaf Mountain for some touristic shots and also to one of the craziest favelas - Alemao (where for my surprise were one of the friendliest locals I have seen but where I also got robbed of my phone by a woman with a gun...)

28492104153_0092273112_h.jpgStreets of Lapa @Rio de Janeiro, Brazil by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-T1 + 56/1,2

28823874770_90df6e8c7c_h.jpgYoung kitefighter @Rio de Janeiro, Brazil by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-Pro2 + 14/2,8

29078077066_14faed3c0f_h.jpgIn the Shadows @Rio de Janeiro Brazil by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-T1 + 56/1,2

28489083014_bdb152c3c1_h.jpgLanding @Rio de Janeiro, Brazil by Hendrik Osula, on Flickr

X-T1 + 56/1,2

Edited by HendrikOsula

Some fantastic photos here and great to see the X-Pro2 stood tall amongst all the large heavy beasts.

I bet there were a few XT2's around and about with X Photographers and no doubt the images will appear soon.

Your images prove that you do not need the large heavy Canikons to get good shots and I suspect we will see more Pro's shooting Fuji.

Some fantastic photos here and great to see the X-Pro2 stood tall amongst all the large heavy beasts.I bet there were a few XT2's around and about with X Photographers and no doubt the images will appear soon.Your images prove that you do not need the large heavy Canikons to get good shots and I suspect we will see more Pro's shooting Fuji.

Thanks! It really did and I bet that next firmware update will help it get even better in AF department. About x-t2, I saw two photographers who had each one of those beasts there. I will be receiving my test version when I get back home and will cover Summer biathlon World Championships with both X-T2 and X-Pro2, so will compare them in another thread!

While comparing X-Pro2 to Canikons as you pointed out, I'd have to confess that few years ago I wasn't too convinced that mirrorless can some day rival with my good old DSLR, but after my experience with Fujis and espacially after the Olympics, I'm more than certain that one day mirrorless is ready to make Pros sell their huge rollerbags (as the one I'm using to lug around my Canons) and buy some messenger bags for all their equipment. At the moment there are some shortcomings which I found. Main one is that the batteries don't last. As shooting sports, you have to use high performance settings, so batteries dies after hundred- twohundred shots. I had 4 full batteries and three chargers with me and there were days when I had to put my Fuji away, because I had no juice left. Fuji really needs to raise their game in battery department. Other thing beside batteries, which is still lacking behind DSLRs is Autofocus. It has gone better a lot in recent years, but still it misses much more that my 1DX, so for those crucial hit or miss shots you still can't rely purely on fuji. And third and the most important thing is lack of longer faster telephoto lenses. My longest one was 50-140, but for track and field for example (at least for Olympics), you need a lot longer lenses. So till they don't have at least 300/2,8 or 400/4 type of lens, Fuji can't really approach full time sports pros as a main camera. For backup or second body as I had it with me, Fuji is doing great job!

As I said before, I will be testing out X-T2 and hope that it fixes atleast problem nr 2 and will let you know what I think about it! If you still have any questions, just let me know!

Hi Hendrik,

This is Antonio again.

I am really enjoying looking at your pictures. I grew up in Rio and your pictures show not only the athletes, but a bit of the city as well.

You are a brave man to walk up "Alemao"; even me being a Brazilian and speaking fluently Portuguese never being there. LOL

Sorry to bother you one more time; do you mind to share your "Film Simulation" settings for ProNegHi and ClassicChrome; as far as Color, Sharpness, Highlight Tone and Shadow Tone?

Thank you very much,

Antonio