Jpegs are sharp but printed out so much

Hermelin

out = not :) Couldn't find how to edit titles.

First of, I'm a jpeg shooter for now.

I use sharp +1 in JPEG and on my screen they look very sharp. However when printing out on about 10 x 15 they look more like -1 on sharpness, not that sharp at all compared to how it looks on the computer. Should I edit my printer setting (using a Canon 7550) or do +2 in jpeg, or perhaps just add sharpness on JPEG in post? Lightroom lets you export as printing for printingpaper, low, medium or high, but not sure how well that works with JPEGs which is already sharpemed in camera.

Edited by Hermelin

+1 on the free Nik / Google plugin. It does the job and all it requires to know is the kind of medium you're printing on and the size of the print.

Basically, for printing you have to sharpen the files so much that they start to look awfully oversharpened on screen, but no more than that. Besides the fact that the amount of sharpening needed will depend by the intended size, no camera software will sharpen that much the pictures.

My experience has been the opposite. I find that the jpegs on screen are sharp but the prints are even sharper. It may have to do with several factors. My screen may not be as sharp as the original poster's, I am using an Epson 1800 to print (yes, I know an antique these days), and I print on Epson Premium Photo Glossy paper. All these factors contribute to the final print as compared to the screen.