Boxes: Keep or Discard?

MacPhail

I've always kept the boxes my camera gear came in, never really questioning why, but thankful I did as it may have improved the value of the equipment when I came to sell it years later.

But I'm wondering what others do.  Do you keep your camera and lens boxes, or do you discard them?

Cheers, Derek

Derek, You have hit the nail on the head? I reckon you should keep your boxes. I don't know where you are from but in the UK it is very important to sell your stuff in is original box, if not the price paid will be less than if you have the box!

The price of cardboard is high if it has a fancy logo on it!

I keep anything for several years in its original box ( at some point for certain things no longer matters) , the only unboxed thing that I own is a 18-55 which came from a kit deal and I bought only the new lens while someone else bought the camera from the shop.

I recently sold a XPro1 on Craigslist and I said something like this.  "I think it's pretty silly that people want the box the camera comes in so here's what I'll do.

This is the price for the camera, if you want the box it's going to be $50 more.  Same camera but if you feel it's a better camera with the box then you'll have to pay."

Got some nasty replies from people for questioning their psychological need for the box.

Ended up selling it to a person that said he couldn't care less if it had a box or not.

Since I have the space in my garage I keep ALL the electronic boxes.  I don't know if it helps the resale value, but I like keeping them just in case I have to ship the product back to the manufacturer for any reason.  If I do sell something, again it's just nice to ship it with all the paperwork in it's original box.

It all comes down to personal preference.

And that's another good point!!  I do store the original manuals, unused original camera straps, and other plastic tidbits.  Great Point Mike G!!!!

Keeping the box allows one to have somewhere to put all the bits that come with modern cameras.  

There's several reasons to keep the boxes....

1.  Reselling.  Not only does it help hold the value, but remember the package was designed for this product to be shipped in.  If you keep the box and the inner materials, you wrap the lens/camera, repack and your lens/camera is secure.  Toss it into a flat rate box with some peanuts and off you go.

2.  Insurance purposes.  The box is a proof of purchase.  If you loose, damage, or have the object stolen your insurance will require a Proof of purchase.

Why you would request 50 dollars extra for the box is weird though.  First of all, why would you want to keep the box of an item you no longer have in your possession?

Why you would request 50 dollars extra for the box is weird though.  First of all, why would you want to keep the box of an item you no longer have in your possession?

It was an experiment in human psychology. How much is the box worth to somebody?  I did have people who seemed to be willing to pay for the box.  I made my choice on who I sold the camera to not based on money but on their response.  Nothing on Craigslist is weird..nothing.  That's the beauty of it.  You read and respond or you read and move on.  I threw the boxes out after. 

I don't think people buying camera gear want to be subjects in experiments in human psychology. They just want good camera kit from a nice, trustworthy seller for a good price. Why alienate even one potential bidder, just to prove some sort of point? And then why throw away the box afterwards? I'd certainly think twice about buying from someone who does that - because if they do that about a cardboard box, what're else might they be capable of when it comes to the camera kit itself?

Anyway, when it comes to boxes, human psychology and successful reselling, here's what I've learned:

- always keep the box in good condition. When you sell, it says 'This person looks after their kit so much that they even keep the box in pristine condition. Plus you can use the box to send the item by mail.

- always sell by auction rather than by fixed price. It makes the buyer feel in control of the price they pay.

- always start the bidding really low - like under a pound/dollar even for an expensive camera - and don't set a reserve price. This gives the buyer the chance of getting an incredible bargain, even though in the real world the bidding will go up. As the bidding goes up, they remain emotionally invested, and keep on bidding.

- always throw in something extra after the sale, like a filter or something. This reinforce's the buyer's belief that you are a good seller, and gets you good feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

Keep them,

1. if you have the space.

2. until your love for 'em has worn out.

3. if you intend to sell them in the very near future (3 years).

4. if you keep your gear in tip top condition even after 10 years.

Throw them,

1. if you have absolutely no space.

2. if by the time you sell the item, a box won't make a difference to the price.

In some parts of the world, a "complete box set" only get you good prices if it's fairly new and that the upgraded version isn't out yet.

Some goods become a collectible items after years. There are collectors, they like to get their lovely items in perfect cosmetic condition, fully functional (as much as possible) and with all original accessories and package. Price for such item can be very high.
So, keeping of original boxes can be worthwhile.

I used to keep the boxes, but space became a problem. What I do is cut out and keep the box panels (sides) on the box that show the model and serial number etc. This way I can document that these are original items.

I store the cut box panels in zip lock bags along with any manuals or other documentation. All of these zip lock bags are kept in a plastic covered box (Rubbermaid). I can fit bags for multiple camera bodies and nearly a dozen lenses all together until I sell an item.

When I sell an item, I pack the lens or camera body securely myself (nothing moves or slides around), add the zip lock bag and send it off.

I used to keep the boxes, but space became a problem. What I do is cut out and keep the box panels (sides) on the box that show the model and serial number etc. This way I can document that these are original items.

I store the cut box panels in zip lock bags along with any manuals or other documentation. All of these zip lock bags are kept in a plastic covered box (Rubbermaid). I can fit bags for multiple camera bodies and nearly a dozen lenses all together until I sell an item.

When I sell an item, I pack the lens or camera body securely myself (nothing moves or slides around), add the zip lock bag and send it off.

As someone who does not like keeping boxes because of the space they take up, I absolutely LOVE this idea. Thanks for sharing this, I just might have to copy it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll keep some depending on the $ value of the items and also generally for camera bodies as they are far more likely to be upgraded than my glass.

If given the choice between two item's both described to be in the same condition and at the same price but with one coming with the box and the other with out. Most people will opt for the one with the box

Keep.

Every camera I ever bought was going to be my last.

None has yet to be.

Nikon FM, FM2, FM3, Leica,3, Leica 6, Canon 1,1n,10d, 1d, 5d,5d2,5d3,X Pro-1, X-T100, X-T1, Fuji 6x45, Pentax 6x45, Toyo 4x5, and all the associated lenses and accessories.

All gone.

KEH and everyone wants boxes.

Figure $50-$150 dollars a box is my average return on box vs. no box resale.

It's a BIG deal to most buyers.

Peter