My X-Pro2 Review.

Holiday Snaps: Limited Time and an Open Mind

You might need an open mind for this.... I've still got all the new camera announcements swirling round my goldfish bowl, and just how much criticism many of them are receiving online... Surely these new cameras really do offer enough, even if it's not what everybody wants in a camera? Less is seldom more but it can certainly be ample

Fate and my generous nature actually gave me chance to put this to the test

The Fujifilm X-Pro2 and erm Kodachrome?

We used to chose the film stock that made the pictures we wanted. Now we do it digitally, especially with Fujifilm cameras... But can the majesty of classic film stocks really be incorporated into our digital images?

Not a Kodachrome yet but good enough!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Fujifilm and Capture One Express

I think this is HUGE news, how wonderful for us to get what really is a very decent RAF editor for free. Sure the full version has far more bells and whistles, but the free version does waaaaay more waaaaay faster than Fujifilm's incumbent solution RFC ever did, and did I mention it doesn't cost a penny?

Let's take a look at some pictures from it

8 hours ago, adzman808 said:
Fujifilm and Capture One Express

I think this is HUGE news, how wonderful for us to get what really is a very decent RAF editor for free. Sure the full version has far more bells and whistles, but the free version does waaaaay more waaaaay faster than Fujifilm's incumbent solution RFC ever did, and did I mention it doesn't cost a penny?

Let's take a look at some pictures from it

Adam,

Yes this is great news. I seem to be getting better results from it than from Silkypix, it is faster, more options, layers (in the pro version) etc. Looks good for the future. I wonder when the v12 will be out. As you said, no "can of worms" 🙂. But surely people will find plenty of things to complain about. That is the human nature. 

What I find interesting is that the perspective is a bit different from SP or SOOC, it seems a bit wider on all sides. I mean as if the SOOC jpg or SP processed RAF were a bit cropped compared to what you get in C1 or better put it this way: as if the image you see from C1 was a bit "less zoomed in". The image dimensions pixels x pixels is the same. I am not saying it is a problem, just wondering. Am I being daft and doing something wrong ? This was on images from the X-T10/35f2, did not try images from other lenses or cameras yet.

Lens Correction in C1 says "Manufacturer's Profile". When I change it to "Generic", I see no difference. If I click "Show All", I can see Fujifilm lenses in the dropdown, but only GF lenses. Will XF lenses be coming later ? 

Also, I am looking forward to the official film sims that are due.

15 hours ago, George_P said:

Adam,

Yes this is great news. I seem to be getting better results from it than from Silkypix, it is faster, more options, layers (in the pro version) etc. Looks good for the future. I wonder when the v12 will be out. As you said, no "can of worms" 🙂. But surely people will find plenty of things to complain about. That is the human nature. 

What I find interesting is that the perspective is a bit different from SP or SOOC, it seems a bit wider on all sides. I mean as if the SOOC jpg or SP processed RAF were a bit cropped compared to what you get in C1 or better put it this way: as if the image you see from C1 was a bit "less zoomed in". The image dimensions pixels x pixels is the same. I am not saying it is a problem, just wondering. Am I being daft and doing something wrong ? This was on images from the X-T10/35f2, did not try images from other lenses or cameras yet.

Lens Correction in C1 says "Manufacturer's Profile". When I change it to "Generic", I see no difference. If I click "Show All", I can see Fujifilm lenses in the dropdown, but only GF lenses. Will XF lenses be coming later ? 

Also, I am looking forward to the official film sims that are due.

Hi George,

The difference in perspective might be how each software is providing corrections, especially for the 35/2 which has a reasonable amount of native distortion

I've no idea if C1 will offer their own lens profiles for the XF glass, that's what those options in the lens profile drop down are, C1's own profile for each lens rather than the inbuilt one.

You're not doing anything wrong, it's just that different SWs seem to interpret the inbuilt lens profiles differently and for some lenses, the SW makers make their own profiles as well

It'll be good when they give us the film sims, but the standard C1 colour is nice to my tastes, and you can play around by selecting a different camera from the camera drop down which changes the profile

For this week's article I've written a BASIC guide for using Capture One Express.

I continue to be pleased with this software, so I decided to document how I've been using it, in case it helps anyone else out there...

Fujifilm Capture One Express Guide: Part One Importing and Basic Editing

56 minutes ago, dfaye said:

Thanks, Adam: very helpful. I haven't yet downloaded C1E, but will do so soon, and it's great to have some clear, well-illustrated instructions to get me started.

Thank you very much, I tried to keep it light hearted, so it was a bit more readable.... I hope it helps people

1 hour ago, mdm said:

As I've found out Express version doesn't have "Sessions", so I can't work with files and folders as I do. Catalog paradigm is just not for everybody and definitely not for me.

I've been using c1e without setting up the catalogue, so all the image files are where I put from on the HDD

I didn't set up the catalog myself. It was created automatically during installation. Yes, we can choose whether we need to import RAFs into the catalog or leave them wthere they are but all changes would be stored in a single file and I don't like this way. I prefer separate projects - sessions in terms of C1, which might be freely moved wherever I want. Anyway I'm going to get myself familiar with the full version and if I like it I'll get it.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, mdm said:

I didn't set up the catalog myself. It was created automatically during installation. Yes, we can choose whether we need to import RAFs into the catalog or leave them wthere they are but all changes would be stored in a single file and I don't like this way. I prefer separate projects - sessions in terms of C1, which might be freely moved wherever I want. Anyway I'm going to get myself familiar with the full version and if I like it I'll get it.

I've had a little play with the full version... but I've little intention of buying it, so I haven't really played much with it... Maybe session mode is still there? I don't know

For my article this week, I decided to use Capture One Express take a look at X-Pro1 and X-Pro2 images and see just how different they looked...

....and how we could make a baseline setting to make them look a little less different!

Getting the "X-Pro1 Look" from the X-Pro2 in Capture One Express Finding a X-Pro1 look-a-like baseline

This week's article is now live, and well it's more of a silly little thing than anything deeply worthy of your time, but time's been a bit scarce for me this week...

SOOC and Capture One Express: Running the same shots through both the camera and the editing software