My X-Pro2 Review.

Part25 of my X-Pro1 Story.

You've perhaps been following my X-Pro1 story... Which you can pick up in this thread

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/2194-the-x-pro1-still-perfectly-valid/

I was curious. Too curious... I'd read what everyone else had to say, but I needed to know what I had to say.

I think some of you might be curious too...?

So here it begins.

The X-Pro2 review!

Part One: Compared to the X-Pro1, because obviously the X-Pro2 is better in every single way, right? Er, not so much...

The X-Pro2 Review Part One: Vs the X-Pro1

Wow, what a great review.  I would love to try the X-Pro2.  Once I can corral the funds I think I may just rent one for a day and run it through the paces.  For a camera I plan on using for at lest 4 years or so it might be worth it to pay a days rental to make sure it fits.  I like the form factor of the Pro1 so much...fits in my hand perfectly and I don't feel the need to have to add a grip or anything.

Wow, what a great review.  I would love to try the X-Pro2.  Once I can corral the funds I think I may just rent one for a day and run it through the paces.  For a camera I plan on using for at lest 4 years or so it might be worth it to pay a days rental to make sure it fits.  I like the form factor of the Pro1 so much...fits in my hand perfectly and I don't feel the need to have to add a grip or anything.

Thanks very much

What dou you mean by part 1? I haven't found a new article...

Can you post the direct link please?

THX!

All the X-Pro stuff is linked from the page I shared this morning!

The article I'm referring too went live on Sunday, so not sure if you consider that to be new or not...

It's here

http://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-with-the-fujifilm-x-pro1/xp2-thirty/

All the X-Pro stuff is linked from the page I shared this morning!

The article I'm referring too went live on Sunday, so not sure if you consider that to be new or not...

It's herehttp://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-with-the-fujifilm-x-pro1/xp2-thirty/

Oh, I've already read this article that's why I didn't consider it to be "new" - at least not for me ;)

So looking forward to the next article in the series!

THX!

OK,

Part Two of the 100% X-Pro2 review is now up!

Part one is here

http://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-with-the-fujifilm-x-pro1/xp2-thirty/

Where I talk about why I chose the X-Pro2, and what benefits it has (to me) over the original

This week, in part two, I take a look at the image quality of the newer camera, and why that IQ needs to be stand alone, and not just judged against the predecessor!

As per the X-Pro1 series, I'll be sharing tips, tricks and info (and opinion) on a weekly basis!

Enjoy!

http://adambonn.com/my-love-affair-with-the-fujifilm-x-pro1/xp2-thirty-one/

Well, glad you could throw that ridiculous theory, about the clinical results of the X-trans II sensor, in the bin; I suspect the cause is something as simple as an overly aggressive noise reduction (which is more similar to throwing away information rather than increasing it).

Well, glad you could throw that ridiculous theory, about the clinical results of the X-trans II sensor, in the bin; I suspect the cause is something as simple as an overly aggressive noise reduction (which is more similar to throwing away information rather than increasing it).

Methinks that possibly you skim read.

Methinks that possibly you skim read.

Quite possibly ^_^ . However, if increasing the content does not make the images more clinical in the step from II to III, it's rather doubtful that this was the cause of the clinical look in II as compared to the first x-trans.

Edited by Florian

Quite possibly ^_^ . However, if increasing the content does not make the images more clinical in the step from II to III, it's rather doubtful that this was the cause of the clinical look in II as compared to the first x-trans.

My PERSONAL WILD SPECULATION, MY HUNCH, MY IDEA, MY NON-QUANTIFIABLE thoughts about why I PERSONALLY prefer X-Trans I & III over II

(I'm only talking about RAW, everybody knows the X-Trans I jpegs are waaaay different than the later cameras)

I = 12 bit raw, less data, SEEMS to produce quite a organic roll off between light and dark

III = lots more pixels crammed into the same size sensor, produces a grainy noise pattern and texture that's pleasing, especially considering the pictures are 30% (or whatever) bigger

II = a 16mp sensor upgraded to record 14bit and tuned to extract every last drop of digital goodness, resulting in clean images

That's NOT to say that X-Trans II takes a bad shot, or is a bad sensor or that you shouldn't like it.

But it is too say I PERSONALLY prefer I and III

Anecdotal:

People complained that Leica m9 had crap ISO, so Leica made the CMOS 240, and Leica folk started a petition asking them to go back to CCD

Better isn't always better it seems :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

X-Pro2 ISO2500 (iirc) no grain applied, from raw - not my finest work :)

So what's your theory,

That all X-trans generation files look exactly the same?

Let's all hear your take on it

Ah, sorry about that; the files definitely look different across generations. (would classify that as a simple observation)

The cause of it though; you shot down my pet theory on the noise reduction being more aggressive on the x-trans II being the cause of the clinical look, since you are talking about the RAW data files, not the jpegs. ^_^

Edited by Florian

Ah, sorry about that; the files definitely look different across generations. (would classify that as a simple observation)

The cause of it though; you shot down my pet theory on the noise reduction being more aggressive on the x-trans II being the cause of the clinical look, since you are talking about the RAW data files, not the jpegs. ^_^

Actually your pet theory can SOMETIMES apply to raw, it depends on what PP SW you use.

Some SW is adaptive and applies a selective NR (and sharpening) setting as per the meta data of the raw image, namely that the default isn't the same for every image!

Hi everyone,

I've updated my website to feature the next instalment of my X-Pro2 story!

We'll be taking a 3 part look at some of the focusing features on the new X-Pro camera.

Continuing my 100% X-Pro2 Review; Part 3: Setting up manual focus on the X-Pro2. Any changes needed from the original?