Defocusing in manual mode, when camera goes to sleep

There is one thing very annoying on the X-Pro2. When I set the camera to manual focus and I have to wait a while, the camera goes to sleep mode. After waking up from sleep mode (by pressing the shutter button), the camera has changed the focus. So if you had your focus set correct before, the image will be out of focus after waking up. Why can't Fuji correct this with a firmware upgrade? I just killed a whole photo session for this reason, as I was not aware of the changed focus.

Yeah, this drives macro guys nuts. Probably not going to change. Pretty sure the only way to avoid this is to keep the camera awake or use manual focus lenses. (Perhaps the Fuji 14 and 23 are exceptions? In manual mode, of course.) I'm pretty comfortable using manual focus lenses on a Fuji - focussing is easier and more accurate than any DSLR I've ever used. The Samyang/Rokinons - the latest ones designed for APS-C are quite amazing and reasonably priced. Lot's of solid macro lenses in the 90-180 range out there. And there are millions of Leica and Leica copies to play wth.

Edited by Max_Elmar

This is a problem for me too, shooting landscapes i tend to focus the scene with autofocus, compose and lock down the tripod - then pull the focus ring on the lens back and flip the camera to manual to shoot.

When it resets focus it's a real bummer.

I am really surprised by this; is it an X-Pro2 specific problem?

Judging from the number of people -- er, um -- discussing it in other threads, I think it's across the board. My X-E1 & X-E2 both do this. I have heard X-T1 people complain about it. I would imagine Fuji could add a "focus memory" function, but I understand why they wouldn't want to change the basic behavior. The lens should return to a "safe" position when the camera sleeps or shuts down. Could be a power management thing with image review. Might have something to do with the linear motors in some of the lenses. They would to have to be powered up even to hold focus position. A stabilized lens would need to remain powered up to hold the framing. 

Edited by Max_Elmar

Judging from the number of people -- er, um -- discussing it in other threads, I think it's across the board. My X-E1 & X-E2 both do this. I have heard X-T1 people complain about it.

That is interesting, because my X-Pro1 does not do such a thing with the 18mm or the 35mm F/1.4 lenses. They make a whirring sound when switched off, but stay in the same focus position.

And frankly, it would be unacceptable to me. Manual focus means manual focus. So I don't care where the helicoid or motor is when I switch it off; it should better be in the same position when I switch it on again.

Especially with the OVF, it would be an extremely annoying bug if the focus moved on its own. At least on a high quality prime; I could accept focus shift when zooming on a zoom lens.

Edit: I actually don't know what happens when the camera goes in sleep mode. I usually turn it off between shots.

(checked it ... the original Fuji primes do not defocus when the X-Pro1 goes in sleep mode)

Edited by johant

• 1 month later...

I was just doing some experiments with my X-T1 and using the 60 macro in manual mode.

When the camera switches off the lens retracts BUT when you switch it back on it goes to the exact same place where it was before.

Looks like the original Fujinon primes implemented it this way, while the later primes and zooms do not return to the MF position. There's probably a good reason for that, but I don't like it.