New X-T1 Owner with a question about Blue Setup Menu

Howdy!  New member here.  Been using Panasonic and Olympus point-n-shoots for years but stepped up to the X-T1 because of many great reviews including from DPReview.  I just received my X-T1 from Amazon's Warehouse Deals Inc.  It was advertised as "Used - Very Good" and "Inspected" and "Fully Functional."  When I opened the box, which was a little scuffed up, and inspected the body, lens, and other contents, everything looked to be brand new and unused.

I started through the Owners Manual, charged and inserted the battery, turned on the X-T1, and want to set up the camera BUT . . . the menu that comes up (by default) is the Red Shooting Menu and, despite going through the referenced sections of the owners manual, I cannot figure out how to get to, i.e. bring up the Blue Startup Menu.  I'm stumped!!

A little help, please!!

maxv70

Press the left button on the D pad to get into the Red Shooting menu and then scroll up or down and you will get to the Blue menus! You need the numbers highlighted not any of the menu items! hope this helps!

Edited by Mike G

Press the left button on the D pad to get into the Red Shooting menu and then scroll up or down and you will get to the Blue menus! You need the numbers highlighted not any of the menu items! hope this helps!

Hi Mike G.  Thanks for your reply.  What/where is the D pad?  In the manual, the 4 buttons plus menu/OK are referred to as the "Selector/function buttons." 

I may have misspoken when I said that the Red Shooting Menu appears as a default when I turn the X-T1 on.  The LCD display shows what I believe is somewhere WITHIN the Red Shooting Menu because there is the letter "A" in a red box in the lower left corner, a horizontal bar across the lower screen with distance markings in meters, and below that the f-stop/aperture as a blue number (can be changed by moving the aperture ring),  the outline of a square in the center, and several different markings/icons on the left, right, and top margins of the screen.  It is from this display that I have been unsuccessful navigating to the Blue Setup Menu, although I have tried many combinations of scrolling and pressing the menu OK button and/or the Disp back button.  This is where I am stuck.

Can you elaborate further?  Thank you.

the D pad is the pad where you select things on the camera

xt1_back-e1400523622943.jpg

when you switch on the camera, first press on OK, the menu appears, then you press on the left button of the D pad, this gives you access to the set up menu  (blue, the one with the wrench) and then you scroll down between set up menu 1, 2, 3.

When you reach the part of the menu that you want to enter, you press the right button, then to select it and access it you press the OK button, now you are in the part that you can change, change and then press ok to exit.

If you don’t understand my explanation look at this video. Youtube has many tutorials, if you don’t understand how something works look it up there.

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzRovVZwvYg

Edited by milandro

Max, Milandro is quite right and explained it much better. Than I!

Take time to familiarise yourself with the camera, also there are shed loads of videos on UTube.

It will take a little while to get used to myriad of controls on the X-T1, I've been trying since January and still a long way to go!

I hate to seem dense, I am in the process of watching YouTube videos on the X-T1. I should add that I checked my firmware and see that my X-T1 has Body Version 4.30 and Lens version 3.11.

Unfortunately, following Milandro's directions doesn't get me to the menus.  When I turn on the X-T1 and then press the Menu/OK button, the X-T1 LCD display does not show a menu.  Rather, pressing the Menu button only, alternately, turns ON or OFF an icon of a padlock in the center of the display.  No menu appears using that method. 

Edited by maxv70

there is no difference between firmware 4.0 in the video and the newest software when it comes to accessing menus.

I have the same camera and the same software and it works exactly as described before.

I am afraid that I cannot describe it any better than I’ve already done before, so, perhaps you’ll forgive me if I won’t do it again. Sorry.

The only thing that I can think of is that you are pressing the Menu OK button too firmly, you only have to quickly touch it after switching on.

Good Luck!

Edited by milandro