Fuji Lens Caps

liamnas

Hi people,

Newb to the forum here. As a consequence of taking my x-pro 1 with me everywhere I've lost the lens cap on my XF35mm f2. Couldn't see a replacement on amazon. Any ideas? Not particularly bothered about official ones unless they are reasonably priced.

Does everyone's lens cap come off too easily?

Beside the fact that it is Summer and a lot of people are on holiday and might not drool to answer forum queries while they are enjoying themselves, it’s not so much that it is boring title but that it is unclear.

So if you would have written, “ cap replacements suggestions “ maybe you could have enticed even more people than myself.

The 35mm has a 43mm filter thread, not easiest but impossible to be found on the market.

I don’t have the same lens but I do have a collapsable rubber lenshood with a lenscap in that size, so they are out there. I could sell it to you but I am sure you can buy one cheaper because shipping from China is the cheapest in the world.

Often though, it is better to find a lens cap that fits the lens hood rather than the front filter so that you can put it on the hood , just measure the hood that you use and buy one cap accordingly.

If you thing that this lens hood comes off easily you probably never had the octagonal rubber lens hood of the 35mm f1.4 that one came off every time I used the lens. Good luck.

There are several styles in stock at B&H in the 43mm size - pinch-to-remove - even a nice metal screw in type if you want to be super-retro. One of the best looking models says "Canon" on it in big letters. (I have no idea what that means.)

If you use the little hood that comes with the 35/2, you may be able to find a push-on type (obviously a little bigger than 43mm) that that would allow you to keep the hood mounted and the lens covered.

Edited by Max_Elmar

Guest welshkc

Alternatively go without.

I don't mess with them.  They rattle around in the bottom of my bag and never go on the lens.  However, I ALWAYS use the hood and back cover.  The hood keeps the vast majority of issues from getting to the lens.  The stock hood will keep a drop from hitting the front, it also keeps other equipment from rubbing on the lens.  I've gone without a back cover on a few adapted lenses, but get nervous about any area that gets close to the sensor.  So it takes some time to blow out the backs before mounting.

If you do a bit of searching you can find a guy who tested the amount of dirt it takes to impact a picture.  The results were seriously nuts.  He got to the point of just throwing mud on the lens to get enough coverage to impact the photo.  

Moral of the story, lenses don't have to be pristine, lens caps are a PITA, and lens hoods provide all the protection you need.  Forget the cap and wipe off the lens once a week or month.  A challenge...  Leave the cap off the lens for 3 months.  Let the dust and lint stay on it.  Let us know if your pictures suffer for it.  I bet you can't tell.

Back in the 90s when I got married the photographer was always around so I got to watch him work.  NONE of his lenses had covers or backs.  He was working in film so the sensor was not an issue.  He would literally toss lenses in and out of his bag and they didn't even have backs.  He had no time to futz with covers of any type.  The lenses showed it too, they were beat up.  The pictures were fantastic.

Oh, yeah, I agree, the dirt or fingerprints don't really matter... most of the time. Until you try for that great shot against the light or with the sun in the frame. And then you're screwed. (Hey, maybe you like Instagram flare filters...) It only has to bite you in the butt once or twice and then you get it... 

Edited by Max_Elmar

Jamie Oliver slaps thing in the pan ( and burns things too in the oven) in shows too, and has created a generation of people whom are convinced that anything goes. The truth is that he knows better and in some other instances he reveals himself to be a great and rather traditional cook using good and traditional methods that he learned at school.

Although one can make the case that a spec of dust or even a scratch makes no difference on the surface of the lens, treating your equipment with respect is a mindset. Be clean and organized and you can still be a great photographer.

Cartier-Bresson wasn’t a messy photographer in anything. Here you see him (already an older gentleman, holding the lens cap of his camera... he didn’t just bang camera and lenses in a bag, he had respect for his  persona looks and the ones of camera too...)

Cartier-Bresson-black-market.jpg

One thing is not necessarily the other. Being messy and not looking after your equipment doesn’t mean you are a “ pro” it means you are  a messy person.

Some can take pictures too but you don’t need to be messy to do that.

Don’t obsess either way. Repeat.

Edited by milandro

Hi people,

Newb to the forum here. As a consequence of taking my x-pro 1 with me everywhere I've lost the lens cap on my XF35mm f2. Couldn't see a replacement on amazon. Any ideas? Not particularly bothered about official ones unless they are reasonably priced.

in the uk you can get replacement caps direct from Fuji, i imagine in other parts of the world it is similar

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/accessories/caps-straps

Personally I have never lost one, when putting the lens away (the 35 f/1.4 or 18 f/2) I put lens cap on then attach hood, and hood cap which stop it coming off in the bag.

When the camera is in use, the caps are kept in the bag (lens hood is always on the lens)

welcome to the forum

Unless you have a lot of lenses and lose the caps every time, I'd stick with the occasional original replacements. Some 3rd party ones are really wobbly.....but I confess I haven't tried most. Fortunately, I've only lost one cap. Saw it gliding down 500 feet after slipping out of my shirt pocket as I laid on my stomach on a cliff over hang to get a shot.

Dust and grime bothers me. No reason why I should live with them on my lenses or cameras whether it affects the picture or not.

Because of problems cause by two carpal tunnel syndrome my fingers have lost some dexterity and I drop a lot of small objects.

Using the original caps is a real pain in the neck, all third party caps (although I’ve never lost any I have changed my lens hoods and changed the cap accordingly)  are better or equally good than Fuji’s.

Because of problems cause by two carpal tunnel syndrome my fingers have lost some dexterity and I drop a lot of small objects.

Using the original caps is a real pain in the neck, all third party caps (although I’ve never lost any I have changed my lens hoods and changed the cap accordingly)  are better or equally good than Fuji’s.

That makes sense. ;)

I have plenty of third party caps too. I use it at places where I know I'll need to put it on and take it off frequently. I seldom use lens hoods at places where it may be crowded. I find the extension cumbersome when shooting street photography. Some places I've visited had curious children poke their fingers onto my lens' glass. Some poke it with twigs or whatever they have in their hands. Funny as they always aim for the glass. My evf is not spared.

However, I always store my lenses with their original caps in the dry box. 3rd party caps elsewhere. Probably in the older dry box. :D

Thanks for the replies people.

Going to order third party off eBay. Lost the lens because I use the camera all the time and I find having the lens on wastes time. Also the reason I have an x-pro1 is my super duper canon was so bulky, with all its lenses and bags that I never used it. My x-pro1 goes in the pocket of my jacket. I take it with me everywhere, treat it like a rangefinder style thing, take more snaps - but I think the pocket in my jacket may have popped the cap off. I think I'll order multiple replacements just in case.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi people,

Cant say for everyone but me YES.  Very annoying. No need to get an official Fuji replacement, there are cheap third party lens caps on Amazon that work fine.  All you need to know is the diameter - 58mm = 58mm regardless of the brand.  

At risk of committing heresy, if you want the easiest to use and best sticking lens cap get a Nikon in the appropriate diameter.  In my experience they work a little better than all others (get occassional confused remarks from gear heads who see a Fuji lens with Nikon lens cap - seems to boggle small minds).

Those rectangular rubber caps that go on the rectangular lens hoods suck even worse.  Don't bother to replace - the new one will just fall in a little while.

I keep lens hoods on all the time, but I still protect my gear when it's in my bag with Op Tech 'Hood Hats'. I size then to fit over the hood while it is in place on the lens.  It's quick and easy to pull them on and off. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/179424-REG/OP_TECH_USA_8001122_Hood_Hat_Medium.html

+1 for the hood hats. Those things are awesome. I use it on my X100T with hood on.

For lenses without hoods, I use generic center-pinch lens caps for my vintage lenses.

There is no reason to spend 10 times more for genuine brand name caps.

I haven't lost any of my Fuji caps yet, but you can get an off brand one for a $1 or 2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by plaidshirts

+1 for the hood hats. Those things are awesome. I use it on my X100T with hood on.

For lenses without hoods, I use generic center-pinch lens caps for my vintage lenses.

There is no reason to spend 10 times more for genuine brand name caps.

I haven't lost any of my Fuji caps yet, but you can get an off brand one for a $1 or 2.

Plaid shirts and Perplexed, do you find the hood hats are dust and hair magnets?  I was wondering because I got a free neoprene lens wrap from Adorama with a purchase a while back and when I tried it on my lenses to see how it worked, it immediately picked up a lot of hair and dust, mainly on the rough side that the velcro attaches to, and a bit on the smooth side as well.  If the Hood Hats are dust magnets, it would defeat part of the purpose of using it.  

Edited by mvlow

Guest welshkc

Jamie Oliver slaps thing in the pan ( and burns things too in the oven) in shows too, and has created a generation of people whom are convinced that anything goes. The truth is that he knows better and in some other instances he reveals himself to be a great and rather traditional cook using good and traditional methods that he learned at school.

Although one can make the case that a spec of dust or even a scratch makes no difference on the surface of the lens, treating your equipment with respect is a mindset. Be clean and organized and you can still be a great photographer.

Cartier-Bresson wasn’t a messy photographer in anything. Here you see him (already an older gentleman, holding the lens cap of his camera... he didn’t just bang camera and lenses in a bag, he had respect for his persona looks and the ones of camera too...)

Cartier-Bresson-black-market.jpg

One thing is not necessarily the other. Being messy and not looking after your equipment doesn’t mean you are a “ pro” it means you are a messy person.

Some can take pictures too but you don’t need to be messy to do that.

Don’t obsess either way. Repeat.

Once I get a $4k Leica setup I'll obsess over caps and straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plaid shirts and Perplexed, do you find the hood hats are dust and hair magnets?  I was wondering because I got a free neoprene lens wrap from Adorama with a purchase a while back and when I tried it on my lenses to see how it worked, it immediately picked up a lot of hair and dust, mainly on the rough side that the velcro attaches to, bit on the smooth side as well.  If the Hood Hats are dust magnets, it would defeat pat of the purpose of using bit.  

mvlow, I know what you mean about Velcro and I'm happy to report that hood hats don't have any and are dust RESISTANT.

Anything that gets on it can be easily wiped off.