To Battery Grip or not to Battery Grip

Pre-ordered my X-T2 today without the grip. Even the discount wasn't enough to persuade me to buy something that only offers marginal performance improvements other than in frame rate, and as I seldom shoot motorsport/BIF it seems like spending £200 just to save spending £300.

Our friends in China need to get busy making aftermarket battery holder grips for the entire Fuji line. Don't even care about the extra controls! Ok, a release would be nice. How about $30 for a battery holder/grip for the lowest Nikons or Canon Rebels....yes, they exist.

I shot the PA Ren Faire Saturday and I had to swap batteries 3 times in my X-E2... lost a shot or two because the battery level indictor sucks. I've been shooting my Nikons since then just to get over it.... 

The worst part is there is almost no warning - one notch down from "full" - a few shots later, dead. It's like Nikon DSLRs were 10 years ago. Batteries are important to serious shooters, Fuji! Get it together!

(To be fair, I should point out that the heavy usage was on me a bit as I had "high-performance" mode engaged, 5 min auto off, I was using some fill-flash, some video, and it was super hot that day. Sort of a worst-case scenario. I got about 100 shots per battery. OUCH.)

Our friends in China need to get busy making aftermarket battery holder grips for the entire Fuji line. Don't even care about the extra controls! Ok, a release would be nice. How about $30 for a battery holder/grip for the lowest Nikons or Canon Rebels....yes, they exist.

I have a Neewer battery grip for X-T1. Cost $50. I suppose the X-T2 grip is a little more complex but there is hope.

I have a Neewer battery grip for X-T1. Cost $50. I suppose the X-T2 grip is a little more complex but there is hope.

That's great, but I was really hoping for any battery grip at all for X-T10 or X-E2...if they can do it for a little D3100.... They are very handy for small cameras as you can simply remove them if the extra capacity is not needed that day.

That's great, but I was really hoping for any battery grip at all for X-T10 or X-E2...if they can do it for a little D3100.... They are very handy for small cameras as you can simply remove them if the extra capacity is not needed that day.

I doubt those cameras will ever get a grip, maybe the X-T10 but certainly not the XE-2. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered the grip and works wonderfully! I only use it when I need the boost other wise it's lighter to carry the batteries in my pocket. If you're not going to be shooting wildlife or anything with action, you could probably hold off. Just my thoughts.

It won't be a permanent fixture on the camera.

acefibble, the Sony A7 Mk2 costs about the same, the Canon 5D Mk3 is £2300 and won't be available for much longer, the 5D Mk4 is £3600. The Nikon D800 is no longer available. The D810 costs £2400. All prices taken from the Wex website. So apart from the Sony, the X-T2 is in fact at least £1000 less than the cameras you mention. It's a bargain compared with the Nikon or Canon.

I have the battery grip as I went for the deal that includes one. It will be good for taking action shots. It improves the balance of the camera with a long lens and removes the constant worrying and fiddling with batteries. A bonus is that you can charge the batteries with it. For street or landscape I will leave it behind as it does make the camera a lot bigger and heavier. So it depends on your needs.

Gordoneussel76, you won't need the expensive Fuji MHG-XT2 grip for Arca Swiss unless you want the grip feature. A normal Arca Swiss plate (no longer than about 65mm) will fit without obstructing the battery cover.

Bought the X-T2 without the grip, wanted to keep the set up small and don't yet need the extra performance the grip provides, maybe in time...

Enjoying all the benefits including the weight saving from my DSLR.