New NP-W126S Batteries

If the capacity is higher and they fit they would provide more energy

...as for enhanced “ performance” some say.....

“..For using maximum power of your X-T2 or X-Pro2 mirrorless camera, the Fujifilm NP-W126S Li-Ion Battery Pack has been designed to better manage heat and ensure lightning-fast camera performance. This battery is also compatible with older cameras that use the NP-W126 battery pack, but users will not see any performance advantages in those bodies..."

​So, No, on older cameras they won’t dissipate any extra heat because they heat isn’t there to be dissipated and the performance speed cannot be higher than what it was before at least not by changing only the battery.

NP-W126S Compatibility

FUJIFILM X-Pro2 / X-Pro1 / X-T2 / X-T1 / X-T10 / X-E2S / X-E2 / X-E1 / X-M1 / X-A2 / X-A1
FinePix HS50EXR / HS30EXR / HS33EXR
Edited by milandro

I think the real question here is will the XT-2 be able to use the old batteries in a pinch?

Yes, you can but not for the long term if you do a lot of 4k video recording. I think the W126S is heat protected and built for high current draw during 4k video recording. Under normal shooting, normal NP-W126 batteries are fine.

Heat causes 2 things in a Li-ion battery, decreased power output and shortened lifespan.

Prolonged use may cause the battery to bloat and get stuck in your battery compartment. Some damage from fires have been reported from Li batteries being used in flash guns but I personally haven't seen or experience that. What I've noticed is that Energizer Li batteries get extremely hot in my flash guns. I've changed to Enerloop nimh batteries since without issues. Loved the lightweight of the Lithiums though.

Edited by Aswald

Pre-production X-T2s were sent out with the plain W126, and they work fine. But yeah, if you're planning on doing much 4k video, don't take the risk; stick with the W126S. Just like when Canon updates to the 'N' version of their batteries, there's no point using the old W126 now unless your W126S are all spent and you've got no other back-up. The W126S is simply better for some cameras and identical for others, so there's never a drawback to using it for everything.

Does anyone know whether the older cameras, as X-Pro2, X-T1 etc will gain anything from using the new NP-W126S?

Maybe when it's really hot and you shoot a lot. But probably not. I'm not even sure that the X-T2 gains a lot. On Friday, everybody was shooting all day in the sun with the old batteries. Didn't hear a single complaint.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall reading something, although it may have been on a rumor site, that in addition to the heat issue, the new  W126S was to have improved logic for reporting more accurate remaining capacity to the camera.  The original W126 and the X-T1 were pretty lousy at knowing how much life was left for the battery bar.

Anyone recall seeing this or was I dreaming (or wishing)?

sjones1011, I also seem to recall the same thing.

The following is a quote from Fuji's shop web site!

Fujifilm NP-W126S is a high performance lithium-ion rechargeable battery that gives long term use with repeated charges. Recommended for X-T2 in conjunction with the Vertical Power Booster Grip to allow 30min of 4K movie recording.

Edited by Mike G