mr_soviet

Question regarding autofocus hunting on the 56mm 1.2 R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys, I had a quick question regarding the 56mm 1.2 R.

So I just bought this lens about a couple weeks ago, used it once and it was great, it was a sunny day outside and I was taking pics of friends. The next time I went out and used it, I noticed it had a really hard time focusing on subjects, on this day, it was a bit cloudy but nothing too bad by our pacific north-west standards.

I have read that this lens does struggle on focusing on less contrasty things. However I didn't think it would struggle to detect someone’s face when I'm standing near them, I could not for the life of me get it to lock focus for longer than a second. Ever since this day I have been testing it on different things and noticed that whenever I try to lock focus on something it just hunts and hunts, it will lock after a bit for a quick second but if you don't click the shutter instantly, it will begin hunting randomly again. I tried my 18-55mm and it locks and holds the focus no problem.

I was trying to look this up online and I have been reading mixed answers. Should I contact Fuji or is this is normal thing for this lens?

I tried High Performance mode and a bigger/smaller focus box. Apologies if this is a stupid question, kind of a beginner on all of this and I might be a bit paranoid since I just spent a lot on this lens ha!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By jufoso
      Hi guys, new Fuji-freak here!
      I bought yesterday X-T3 with the 18-55 lens and XF 50-140mm f2.8, both used.
      At first I was really impressed with both of them but soon I figured out that there's something strange with the 50-140 and autofocus. The problem occurs at the maximum 140mm focal lenght. The autofocus can't focus near. It will only work for longer distances (over 4-5 meters) even though the minimum focus distance should be 1 meter. Even a slight zoom out e.g. 138mm will make the autofocus work normally.
      All the settings are in "auto", I'm shooting in single shot mode and autofocus on single point. The problem occurs in every possible setup. Here's a video about the problem (I didn't find my stand so I had to use chair) [ignore the cat meowing] https://youtu.be/g8snv-60DBM
      Has anyone else had the same problem or should I return the lens?
    • By natswright
      I'm new to this camera and was looking for an autofocus subject tracking mode in video, as tracking in stills mode is supported. I've come to fuji cameras from using Canon kit, namely the 70d and M50, both of which supported subject tracking by simply clicking on an object using the touch screen. For example, if you wanted to video a pet running, subject tracking is very advantageous.
      As I understand it, my fuji doesnt support this, except in stills mode. I wonder, do folks here think this is possible with a firmware update? I beleive Sony added similar tracking options to the A6400 this way..

• By yukosteel
      Initial lens review of Viltrox 85mm F1.8 lens on Fujifilm X-T30 camera.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.  
    • By Marco34
      Hi , 
      i have a problem with my Xpro2 with 35mm f 1.4 .... 
      I notice a loss of sharpness and i don't know if the camera can't focus because  the viewfinder says it is in focus 
      i  attach 2 photos , one with Xpro 2 and another with H1 ,  to let you understand the problem... here it was  f4  iso 2500 
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. shutter 100
    • Hi, I'm having some weird issues with the Fringer EF-FX Pro II on my Fuji XT3 and I hope someone can help. When using the adapter with my Canon and Sigma lenses the image on the camera LCD is not showing the correct depth of field for the selected aperture unless I half-press the shutter button. The dof in the image remains wide open unless I half-press the shutter. The exposure of the image is shown correctly and changes accordingly when changing the apertue on the lens, the
    • Follow up... Picked up my camera from the repair shop yesterday. It turns out small particles (rice) got into the camera which jammed the shutter. I enjoy rice but can't figure out how that got into the camera.🤔
    • With so many impressive firmware updates, how does the upgraded X-Pro 2 compare with a new X-Pro 3  in terms of image quality and auto focus usability ? (yes, subjective question) There seem to be a lot of XP2's around looking for a home at attractive prices but I haven't seen a comparison. Dave
    • I would love if Fuji adopted Canons scroll wheel. It’s so fast and accurate, the best autofocus I’ve ever used. 
    • Hi, I wrote to the representative office of Russia. Here is the official answer (translated into english by google translator): We conducted a thorough diagnosis and revealed the appearance of a similar effect in some conditions both on your camera and on other test specimens. It is impossible to eliminate this phenomenon, since its appearance is due to the very structure of the camera components. This effect is not a malfunction, your camera passes the tests and meets the declared technica