X-T2 Pricing

I understand that uncertainty in financial markets around the world has forced/allowed Fuji to increase the expected price of the X-T2.

I know that the UK is a special case - but the price of the X-T2 body in the UK now exactly the same as a Nikon D750 full frame body.

I use and love Fuji mirror-less, but at this price I wonder if a  lot of people are not going to bother or wonder "why not go full frame?" if you're spending that sort of money.

I'm lucky enough to be able to afford one if I wanted one - but I'm not convinced that its anything like comparable value for money at the moment.

What a shame.

I had an interview with two professional photographers who make their living on photography.
Sorry, it's in German...
http://www.fuji-x-forum.de/fuji-blog/2016/07/fuji-x-t2-profi-interview/

My translation of their statement about the price:

Peter Steffen: Fujifilm is low priced if I compare it to Canon or Nikon. OK, it's not free but…

Christian Ahrens: … a good deal.

Peter Steffen: A very good deal. I'll get an equipment with two bodies and lenses at 7,000 € - I get a Nikon D5 at the same price. And I have to mount a magnifying class.

And they both agreed that the question about sensor sizes is completely overrated.

Anyway - that's their point of view as professionals.

As someone who doesn't make money with photography you have a completely different perspective.
And if you rely as professional on certain aspects in studio or sports photography your mileage may differ...

I too can purchase one or more of them, and I'm not looking for "value".  A camera is not an investment.  It is a tool.  period.  A tool that I depreciate.  In the end, it is a paperweight worth zero on my balance sheet at the end of it's life.

If I had to choose, again, between my Nikon and the Fuji system knowing what I know now there would be ZERO decision; I would be in ALL FUJI.  I came from the D3, D300, D700 and D800 world with Nikon lenses.  They were fantastic (except for the D800) and the lenses were amazing but they cumbersome and not very discreet. 

Value:  What is it worth "to me" is what you need to ask yourself.  Are you an amateur weekend shooter, a  semi-pro making some extra dollars or pounds on the side, or a FT Pro?  Your decision.  I use my Fuji's for all my work.  I have ONE Nikon D800E with a 50mm lens left laying around just for sh*ts and giggles because of the amazing flash system and my remote pocket wizards - other than that the rest is all gone.  The D800, all the other bodies and lenses...

Price of the body is only one small part of the equation if you are putting together a system. Personally for what I like to shoot, the Fuji system is cheaper, as good FX Nikon glass costs a fair bit more than Fuji's plus a filter system for an ultrawide zoom for the Nikon 14-24 or Tamron 15-30 is much more expensive than a filter system for the Fuji 10-24.

I bought a Nikon D610 a year ago and have 2 lenses at this point and was planning to buy a couple expensive ones this summer but after playing around with my brother's X-Pro2 and comparing the image quality and looking at the Fuji system as a whole, I have opted to ditch Nikon for Fuji instead and it will end up being cheaper for me overall for a similar kit and no loss in image quality.

I'm quite disappointed.

In Australia Fuji cameras are way overpriced.

The Xpro2 is $A2397 body only (~$US0.75 = $A1.00), and the XT2 has been announced at $2298. sigh......

That is more expensive than a sony a7  (~1000) or a7II (1800).

I have used the a7II and it has  Fuji covered for image quality, and gives me the option of in body stabilization for my  vintage Zeiss and leica lenses, AND the a6300 as a backup.

I have the XE2 and most of the primes... but if Fuji doesn't wake up soon ( a much cheaper xt20?) I'll switch to Sony... although I'll miss the 23 and 56

If you have already bought into the Fuji system, the X-T2 whilst expensive is a good option in many ways. The price is sure to lower in about 6 months and I suppose that while it is now about £1399, it will probably settle at about £1199 or lower. The X-T1 was about £1199 to start with and is now about £799. We in the UK may well end up paying more with recent referendum choices having their affect! There are going to be a lot of cheap used X-T1 bodies around for sure as people get the latest thrill.

Comparing the price of the X-T2 with the X-T1 is rather unfortunate for Fuji as I don't think that the X-T2 is £600 better even with 24Mp and better AF. This makes the prospect of an Sony A7ii seem quite attractive ...

If contemplating getting into mirrorless, the price of the XT-2 compared with the Sony A7ii makes for a dilemma ... which one to choose? I don't really care personally, for me the choice was made already.

Edited by Woodworth

As usual, the best advice is to choose the lenses you require first and foremost. The system naturally follows from that choice.

Exactly! Good quality glass is more important and a better investment than any camera body ever is. Good glass will last you through the life of many camera bodys.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone think that the price could be adjusted in the 'right' direction at the point of release in the shops, a bit like happened with X70?

In Norway the price as of today translates to about US$ 2.010 for the body, and $ 2.365 with the 18-55 included.

I always like a good deal, like Fujifilm cashback, or a lens included, but I'd like to get something else than 18-55.

• 1 month later...

I'm quite disappointed.

In Australia Fuji cameras are way overpriced.

The Xpro2 is $A2397 body only (~$US0.75 = $A1.00), and the XT2 has been announced at $2298. sigh......

That is more expensive than a sony a7  (~1000) or a7II (1800).

I have used the a7II and it has  Fuji covered for image quality, and gives me the option of in body stabilization for my  vintage Zeiss and leica lenses, AND the a6300 as a backup.

I have the XE2 and most of the primes... but if Fuji doesn't wake up soon ( a much cheaper xt20?) I'll switch to Sony... although I'll miss the 23 and 56

I am looking for a APS-C camera and have the same issue in Australia, I have a Nikon Full Frame with 8 lenses.

I was looking at the X-T2 but the cost is just under the D500, if it was under the $2000 mark it would be more attractive to people who have other brands of cameras (IMHO).

I will wait until it is released and wait for the reviews before making any purchases.

I recently purchased my second XT10 prior to the announcement of the XT2 for $500 after cashbacks & GST refund. Hard to justify an XT2 at almost 5 times the cost as the XT10s served me very well over a 6 week trip to UK & Italy. If I go down the XT2 road I shall purchase 2,however, I await more information on the pricing of the 5DmkIV before committing. Compared to the XT10s the Canon could well be the better value. We shall see.

PS> I think I now have my answer. It appears the 5DmkIV is going to be around $3500US or $4600AU. XT2 is looking good.

Edited by TonyB