Survey: Fuji X-T2 or Fuji X-Pro2?

Fuji X-T2 oder Fuji X-Pro2?  

517 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the choice: Fuji X-T2 or Fuji X-Pro2?

• Fuji X-T2
    • Fuji X-Pro2
    • I'll take both of them!
    • I'd prefer another Fuji X....
    • Something completely different (please explain below)

I sold an XPro2 to fund an X-T2 because I needed a nice bright EVF and couldn't stand the eye relief in the XPro2. The vertical grip is also a godsend since I shoot in portrait orientation a lot. 

I DRASTICALLY prefer the LOOK of the XPro2, but it wasn't quite enough to keep me using it.

I voted "other."

Having now used both the X-Pro2 and the X-T2... I kind of just wish I had an X-Pro1 with all of the sensor/processor updates (exception below), focus lever, etc. PLUS a tilting LCD---this is one thing that once you've used you can't go back. I can definitely live without a touch screen, although it's nice for video (my X70 has a touch screen, but I leave it turned off because otherwise the focus point is always moving about on its own and I don't find it to be a burden to move the focus point with the d-pad.)

The exception to the sensor updates is that... after shooting a lot with the new 24MP sensor, I find I'd rather go back to 16 or even 12MP and keep the new tech (BSI? Copper wiring? etc?), resulting in gaining a stop of high-ISO performance rather than just about breaking even as it does now. 24MP just isn't that much better than 16MP in practice. The 24MP raw files from any camera are enough of a hassle, but 24MP X-Trans RAW files are a bear to deal with. The X-Pro2 and X-T2 have a 12MP "M" JPEG mode (why no 16MP 3:2 mode, Fuji?), and that helps a little for stuff you want to share via smartphone without going all the way down to 3MP, but I really wish there was at least an 'M' reduced size RAW option, or better yet, give us demosaicked 16-bit TIFF (or DNG) in camera, Fuji!

Of course it goes without saying that any new camera from Fuji should have those 'C' positions on all the dials like the GFX-50 does---they should have been there from the start. I'm bugged they didn't put this on the X-T2. The way the X-T2 works with the portrait grip is laughable compared to how  other cameras work (i.e. on other cameras you can actually access all of the exposure settings from the grip.)

• 1 month later...

I was going to vote for the X-T2 as I planned to sell my X-Pro2 after I got the X-T2. But after using the X-Pro2 since it became available, I just can't choose between them. Prefer the X-Pro2 in most ways, except for with longer zooms. Wish it wasn't so hard.. :-)

Left eye shooter with glasses, so a bigger VF on the X-Pro2 would have been very welcome. And the same tiltscreen...

Looking at the used market where I live I am surprised to see how many x-pro 2's are up for sale each week. I know it must be because people switch to x-t2, but given the amount of time they are for sale and selling for 2/3 the store price, seems like people have to much money and the x-pro 2 drops in value way to fast. So in that regard the x-t2 probably holds its value for much longer.

• 4 weeks later...

I started with an XT-1, added an X100T and Xpro-2 as i wanted the new senor for a trip away. To start with I didnt really like the rangefinder style but it has grown on me.

I plan on selling the XT-1 and X100T as I hardly use them over the Xpro2 now and adding an XT-2 to go with my Xpro-2 so I have both. I think the XT-2 will have the battery grip on 100% of the time when I get it which is where the Xpro2 will come in when I want a smaller camera.

• 2 weeks later...

XT2 because after getting another AF camera after having used rangefinders for many recent years, I realized I missed too many "decisive moments" using a rangefinder combined with worsening eyesight. The XT2 solved my problems and setting the EVF/LCD film simulation to Acros I can even imagine my shots as B&W images when wanted. Who needs a Leica Monochrom now.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the x-pro2. I've preordered the x-t2 knowing I can cancel if I change my mind on buying it as a second camera. I do like the tilting LCD screen and large EVF for some things. The x-pro2 is just about perfect for what I do.

After having both the X-T2 and X-Pro2 for a few months, I need to update my answer. The X-Pro2 is a fantastic camera and works great for my preferred shooting. The X-T2 does seem more versatile and easier to handle when using zooms. If I could only have one, I think I would recommend and choose the X-T2 simply for the versatility. For landscape work, the movable LCD is fantastic and the AF is a bit better for tracking nature or sports. 

After having both the X-T2 and X-Pro2 for a few months, I need to update my answer. The X-Pro2 is a fantastic camera and works great for my preferred shooting. The X-T2 does seem more versatile and easier to handle when using zooms. If I could only have one, I think I would recommend and choose the X-T2 simply for the versatility. For landscape work, the movable LCD is fantastic and the AF is a bit better for tracking nature or sports. 

I second that.

But if I could only have one, I would probably go for the X-Pro 2. Since I tend to shoot more Street and Portrait I woulndt necessarily say the camera is better, just fits me better. There is something about the X-Pro 2 I really like. The feel, the looks. As a travel and landscape or basiclly anything else, the X-T2 is probably the go to camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the XPRO2. I love it. There are a few technical differences between the two cameras - tilt screen etc, but in this case I think it's down to emotion and self-image: do you see yourself as an SLR sort of person, or a classic rangefinder sort of person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

• 2 weeks later...

XT-2 (prefer the multi-tilt screen, and the dslr style)

Bought an XT-1 just this christmas to test before deciding on if I wanted an XT-2, or would save my money. I owned and enjoyed the X100s, but preferred dlsr style cameras. I love the XT-1 so much, that I've sold all of my Nikon FX Camera gear to buy more lenses + XT-2. The new camera should be coming in the mail in a few days :), and I am excited!

Edited by Isaac Hilman

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same dilemma but decided on XT2.. but honestly I could go either way.  What tipped me towards the XT2 was its video and tracking capabilities... since this was replacing my Canon 6D (See my experience on my blog here), I figure why not just get the most capable camera.  XPRO2 looks hot though... if I enjoy my XT2 enough, I'll just get both!

XT2 and 35mm 1.4:

Chi_183-Edit.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I went round and round in circles between the two and was right on the cusp of ordering an XPro2 because I loved the idea of the rangefinder style and just having a body and a couple of small prime lenses.

However, the day before purchasing I went out with my existing camera and a 50mm equivalent f1.4 and restricted myself to just that lens and not articulating the LCD. I found I was really struggling without my usual 24-70 f2.8 'everyday' zoom and not being to use a tilt screen for candid street stuff.

Then, a couple of days later, I spotted the X-T2 in the Fuji refurbished shop with the 18-55 kit lens for the same price as the body only at U.K. 'street' prices plus I had a 10% off all refurbished bodies voucher so I couldn't resist!

In fact, with the dual saving, I convinced myself I really needed the 90 f2 as well when I spotted one of those in the refurb shop :)

However, the day before purchasing I went out with my existing camera and a 50mm equivalent f1.4 and restricted myself to just that lens and not articulating the LCD. I found I was really struggling without my usual 24-70 f2.8 'everyday' zoom and not being to use a tilt screen for candid street stuff.

Good test!

I am not a fan of zoom lenses for walking around. The articulating display would be handy, but is no deal breaker for me.

If/when I upgrade, it will likely be to the X-Pro form factor. Though I will probably wait for the X-Pro3 or X-Pro4.

I am not a fan of zoom lenses for walking around.

It's funny, ironic maybe.

Although I had a Fujifilm X-10 point and shoot type camera for quite a few years, and enjoyed it greatly, I enjoyed the discipline of using a Fuji 645W Professional for about 15 years there. Not just fixed lens,but for much of the time using Tri-X ... come to think of it, that change was partly reactionary when I couldn't even buy Fuji 50 positive film any more.

Then about four or five months back, I happened to pick up a friend's Canon DSLR with a medium range zoom on it - it was at his 50th birthday party, so I was just grabbing some shots of his many friends there - and using this flexible piece of equipment influenced me hugely when I broke my (no doubt last) film camera last fall, and replaced it with an X-T2 and 16 ~ 55 zoom.

Different disciplines, different times. 50 years of shooting pictures, still and always having fun with it.

Edited by CDBC

Both... Neither. X-E3

If I used Fuji for my pro work the usability of the X-T2 would win against the love and visceral connection I have for the X-PRO2 line.

But I don't use Fuji like that. My pair of X-E2 bodies are the other woman to my full frame set up. They have the same soul of the X-Pro series, but have the functionality of the electronic viewfinder, and it's smaller and lighter. I love my X-E2 bodies. They inspire me without pressuring me. I'm sorry to tell Fuji I won't be bothering with a T2,T20, or Pro2. They are great cameras. I like them all and I understand the niche for each, which is why I am voting for both. But the deeper answer is the question unasked. Which is the best Fuji for you. It's the X-E2/X-E2s. At least until a 24Mpix X-E3 comes out... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Poll or not. Based on form factor and button layout, definetely x-pro 2. Don't like the play and delete placement on the x-t2, nor the display button on the hump. Only thing that annoys me about the x-pro is the lower evf magnification and tft instead of oled (less saturated, black level not on par) and that it already seems that Fujifilm is throwing more Kaizen love towards the x-t2, as shown in the latest firmware update, where obvious improvements were omitted from the x-pro 2, but given to x-t2.

Poll or not. Based on form factor and button layout, definetely x-pro 2. Don't like the play and delete placement on the x-t2, nor the display button on the hump. Only thing that annoys me about the x-pro is the lower evf magnification and tft instead of oled (less saturated, black level not on par) and that it already seems that Fujifilm is throwing more Kaizen love towards the x-t2, as shown in the latest firmware update, where obvious improvements were omitted from the x-pro 2, but given to x-t2.

I wasn't happy with the playback button being on the left shoulder on my X-T2 so I assigned that function to the AF-L button. I find that button more or less impossible to use when actually shooting, but when I drop the camera away from my eye, it's in a nice spot for single handed playback.