Survey: Fuji X-T2 or Fuji X-Pro2?

Fuji X-T2 oder Fuji X-Pro2?  

517 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the choice: Fuji X-T2 or Fuji X-Pro2?

• Fuji X-T2
    • Fuji X-Pro2
    • I'll take both of them!
    • I'd prefer another Fuji X....
    • Something completely different (please explain below)

So many reasons the X-T2 works better for me.

#1 Multi-angle tilt screen. Lack of tilt screen has become a deal killer since I started using a body with one.

#2 EVF

#3 Faster operation & superior performance in action-oriented settings

#4 Better control layout for my uses.

#5 Video

#6 Useful accessories...the metal grip, vertical grip

#7 Better match for their high-end zooms

I too just bought the X-Pro2. The faux pentaprism design is not for me. The better aesthetics and user experience of the rangefinder style wins. Also, I have no interest whatever in video production. The X-T2 is a great camera, just not for me. A tilt screen would be nice, but not at the cost of having to endure a faux pentaprism design. I'm very pleased that Fuji continue their policy of updating released models with the latest firmware. One of the several reasons I dropped Sony for the X.

Edited by rrrrrichard

I'd prefer the X-T2 for jobs (almost entirely because of the battery grip and larger EVF), but I enjoy the rangefinder design more. I currently own an X-T1 and X-E2, and my wife will get the X-E2 whenever I get a new body (it was bought with her in mind when I needed a second body for weddings). I enjoy the form factor of the E2 more, but I prefer the weight/heft of the T1, especially with lenses like the 23 and 56.

The X-Pro2 should be the sweet spot for me. Rangefinder design with the build of the X-T1. But I always figured the X-T2 would be cheaper than the Pro2, so I assumed I'd be buying the T2. It's more than the X-Pro2 on its own, and the battery grip will probably be $300+ CAD, so that rules it out for me. X-Pro2 it is.

I prefer the x-pro2. I've preordered the x-t2 knowing I can cancel if I change my mind on buying it as a second camera. I do like the tilting LCD screen and large EVF for some things. The x-pro2 is just about perfect for what I do.

The T2. The Pro2 may as well not exist, for my purposes. Though even the T2 is basically irrelevant until the price lowers to something more reasonable for what is essentially—in terms of my work—just a resolution increase over the T1. Can't stress enough how the last-minute Brexit price hike has killed my enthusiasm for Fuji.

Buying a XT2 to take on a long term test drive, don't like the OVF, the ISO dial or the fixed LCD on the pro.

Would prefer the rangefinder body, but a tilt screen is a must. I decided when I sold my 5d3 and moved to Sony I'm done lying in the muck to get low angle photos.

Cheers

I'd like to see all the great things from the X-T2 in a camera like the X-Pro2. I love the rangefinder look rather than the X-T2 DSLR look. Seeing as both camera's have the same sensor I'd love to see fuji give the X-Pro2 an upgrade on par with the X-T2 but I might be asking for an X-Pro3 there. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Fuji tends to put all the good stuff into the fake DSLRs cameras and when these sell better than the viewfinder models they take this as an argument that most customers prefer the fake DSLR style.

So if we want high performance we have to buy the fake DSLR camera. In Fuji speak because we prefer the DSLR style.

Only a very small number of photographers are interested in buying system cameras like a X-Pro1, X-Pro2, X-E1, X-E2 or X-E2S.

Or the new Pen F for that matter.

The idea that an X-Pro1 would be as popular as the X100 was flawed, because the X100 series was (and still is) purchased as a cool, stylish add-on or fun camera by folks that are otherwise schlepping around large Canikon DSLRs and lenses. Hundreds of Canikon users gave testimony how the X100 series brought back the joy into their oh-so-miserable photographic lives, but did those people sell their full-frame DSLRs and lenses in the process? Nah! Why? Because they considered the heavy Canikon system indispensable for "serious work". 

Unlike the X100 series, the X-Pro1 and its rangefinder-style successors are system cameras, and systems aren't designed as fun add-ons, they are designed as alternatives to other systems (like those large DSLRs and lenses folks are schlepping around).

However, folks that are used to large DSLRs and lenses want mirrorless systems that are smaller and lighter, but with similar operation and performance. The new camera is supposed to look, feel and perform in a familiar way, and it has to be suitable for all kinds of "serious work", whatever that is. 

It's not rocket science, and I'm still puzzled why both Fujifilm and Olympus apparently didn't get that memo.

The X-Pro series has turned into an image thing, a flagship product with a very distinct form factor and the unique hybrid viewfinder. X-Pro cameras are pretty much financial harakiri (and so are my books on them), but everybody is talking about such tentpoles, even though very few users are actually buying them. It's okay, though, because much of the technology of the X-Pro2 can also be used in the X-T2 and eventually an X-T20 (and I can use much of my X-Pro2 research in the upcoming X-T2 book). So maybe, after an X-T20 has hit the shops in (hopefully) summer or fall 2017, Fujifilm might also consider adding an X-E3 to the line-up, simply because they are running out of creative product ideas (and because the technical platform is by then fully developed and readily available). It is possible, I don't rule it out. However, I'd regard such a move as an act of desperation.

Edited by flysurfer

What about price Increase on X-Series Gear in September? Looks like desperation is just around the corner.

It's a necessary evil, as pretty much all major Japanese camera makers are increasing prices in August or September. The Yen is up about 15% year on year against the EUR and USD, so this is a step that has long been expected, but the companies wanted to wait how the Brexit vote turned out. Sadly, the outcome was not favorable and didn't turn around the trend, quite to the contrary.

Plus, many camera models are barely available due to the earthquake. Sony already had to cancel a large European soccer championship TV ad campaign here in Germany because they didn't have enough cameras to support it. Fuji also has delivery problems, they might have to cancel the X70 before year's end in order to have enough X-Trans II sensors left to support the X-T10 until its EOL. And according to a popular rumor site, the successor for the X100T has already been pushed back to 2017 because all available X-Trans III sensors are needed for the X-T2. Btw, Sony has the same problem with the a6300 (which is no surprise, because it's basically the same sensor).

In any case, planning products that don't sell well (and have a track record of not selling well) isn't the smartest thing in my book, unless you simply do not have a better plan for building different stuff that customers might actually want to buy in larger numbers. Personally, I'd focus on bringing an X-T20 to market as soon as possible.

Edited by flysurfer